The cooking thread

Norco Maniac

Is back!
This week's cookup is a bit of a mishmash due to wanting to empty the freezer and pantry.
Plus me wanting to cut carbs whilst juggling hubs need for them.

Pork mince and bacon rissoles with peas and slivered carrots

Chicken thigh fillet and bacon carbonara with spaghetti and grated sweet potato to thicken as I'd run out of cornflour.

Braised chicken thigh fillet slices and onion gravy with broccoli and cauliflower

Gravy beef, mushroom and potato in garlic kebab sauce ( not my best effort but what i had, the sweet mint undertone puts me off, i dislike mint in any meat dish)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I'm a massive fan of Middle Eastern food, and this book has the most wins of any cook book I've tried:

View attachment 374849

Will post up some results next time I make something.
this is a good book. If you like that, you may also like this

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I rarely cook to recipes, but my sister and Mum both have and rave about this book.
It's honestly just so good. That Kebab recipe is pretty standard, but there's a bunch of amazing flavours in some of the recipes that I'd never eaten before.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It's honestly just so good. That Kebab recipe is pretty standard, but there's a bunch of amazing flavours in some of the recipes that I'd never eaten before.
Yeah, some of the stuff they've cooked from the recipes/dishes I've not had before has been very nice.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I rarely cook to recipes, but my sister and Mum both have and rave about this book.
you dont need to follow the recipies in books to a t, but use as a guide. Most of the cooking in these regions is about feel and taste. But to allow people to have a consistent experience, they have to put quantities. Ofthen they are out massively for my taste, but tahts the beauty of adjusting and not following a recipe.

When you approach these books, what youre really looking for is "whats in it" Garlic, cumin, sumac, a twist of lemon and some salt/pepper. Done! now go apply that to basically any other mince, or as a rub on your steak or chicken etc. These books are full of ideas more so than recipes for me.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
you dont need to follow the recipies in books to a t, but use as a guide. Most of the cooking in these regions is about feel and taste. But to allow people to have a consistent experience, they have to put quantities. Ofthen they are out massively for my taste, but tahts the beauty of adjusting and not following a recipe.

When you approach these books, what youre really looking for is "whats in it" Garlic, cumin, sumac, a twist of lemon and some salt/pepper. Done! now go apply that to basically any other mince, or as a rub on your steak or chicken etc. These books are full of ideas more so than recipes for me.
Hence why I don't typically cook to recipes - I can wing it and scratch-make most stuff I want to. Like you say, good for inspiration though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well actually Doubty McPoodleface, there are three kebab recipes in there, but the one you're after is probably this one:

View attachment 380518

But seriously, buy the book.
I zoomed in and didn't see anything about bbq sauce!

There's a Persian restaurant here and the flavours in the food is sensational! They took over the lease from a failing raw vegan establishment a few years ago. The husband of the ownership team has slowly transitioned into a middle aged Persian hipster which fits their neighbourhood quite well.