Complementary colours...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So, I'm looking at buying a new frame. I have the option of getting it painted in pretty much whatever colour I want.

The thing is, the build kit I'll be putting on it is what I'll steal from my Waltly, which is slathered in red-anodised components.

In theory green is the "complimentary" colour to red, but it just doesn't appeal to me - it looks way "too much". I was thinking either solid gloss red, or maybe a very dark blue?

Any suggestions?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
In theory green is the "complimentary" colour to red, but it just doesn't appeal to me - it looks way "too much". I was thinking either solid gloss red, or maybe a very dark blue?
Go nuts -
https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel

Gotta say though, all the red ano Hope stuff is really intense, I think you're right aiming for something that lets the red pop as a feature. Dark dark metallic blue/purple, gunmetal/anthracite, sandy/khaki tones, or shades of red - a dark "dried blood" kind of burgundy might be nice.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Motor racing liveries are always a good starting point.

Matte platinum here works nicely with bling red (and the signal yellow touches), or you could add a bit of blue to that grey in a variation of the Gulf colours.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Motor racing liveries are always a good starting point.

View attachment 380549

Matte platinum here works nicely with bling red (and the signal yellow touches), or you could add a bit of blue to that grey in a variation of the Gulf colours.
Yeah or go white. They're aren't many white bikes and you could go a splash of blue for some Martini livery...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yeah white is a classic motor racing partner to red, although having owned a white On-One, keeping it looking nice was a pain. Although that could have been the shitty quality of the paint, I ended up painting the frame signal yellow - which is actually a good colour combo with red, but can look a bit McDonalds if not done right.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I would avoid going with the solid gloss red because it won't match the red ano exactly.

Another On-One I had was in a light blue, and I ordered a stem with some highlights that looked super-similar in photos but actually ended up slightly different. Couldn't handle the slight mismatch which more annoying because of how close it was and ditched the stem.

If going with red it would need to be a noticeably different red. IMO.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So, I'm looking at buying a new frame. I have the option of getting it painted in pretty much whatever colour I want.

The thing is, the build kit I'll be putting on it is what I'll steal from my Waltly, which is slathered in red-anodised components.

Any suggestions?
Only at Christmas you dunce!