Titanium squishy build

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
So way back when I first started this project I was having trouble getting some parts. Stem was one thing I was struggling with.

So I got the old boy in the machine shop to knock up a few short stems out of a chunk of G5 Titanium. It had to be raw, not polished or any sort of coating.

Absolutely no advantage but the Dominator needed to be sexy.

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
Where do you get your bikes made Ash?
China, same factory a fair few OEM's use. OEM factory only they don't deal with the public.

But we provide the design and specs and they building to our requirements. We specify what grade of Titanium and what tubes to use in each part of the frame. Mixing grades and tube types makes a big difference in ride quality.

We actually use 5 different factory's for different parts / products.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
China, same factory a fair few OEM's use. OEM factory only they don't deal with the public.

But we provide the design and specs and they building to our requirements. We specify what grade of Titanium and what tubes to use in each part of the frame. Mixing grades and tube types makes a big difference in ride quality.

We actually use 5 different factory's for different parts / products.
I'm really interested to hear more about the different grades and how using them on different areas of the bike affect the way it rides. I know this a your build thread so I don't want to hijack it but I would love to know more about this as there is precious little on the internet about it. A few of us here have designed our own through Waltly and I would really like to understand more about the materials and how they are used to tune the ride.

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
I'm really interested to hear more about the different grades and how using them on different areas of the bike affect the way it rides. I know this a your build thread so I don't want to hijack it but I would love to know more about this as there is precious little on the internet about it. A few of us here have designed our own through Waltly and I would really like to understand more about the materials and how they are used to tune the ride.
Mmm I would love to share but to be frank this is what makes the difference in our frames compared to others, and what you pay for when buying a product from company's like Roost Bike and some other OEM's that do this.

Trade secrets I guess...but I'm sure you understand.

A lot more goes into a frame than just a bunch of numbers.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Mmm I would love to share but to be frank this is what makes the difference in our frames compared to others, and what you pay for when buying a product from company's like Roost Bike and some other OEM's that do this.

Yes I do work at Roost Bike, I design a fair bit of the stuff...

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
Back to the build.

Up to about 2 years ago I was always using CodeR brakes with Urberbike matrix pads. The Urber pads really brought the Codes to life.

Then I needed some colour for a Purple bike so brought some Hope. Been using Hope ever since but I don't keep my bikes long enough to ever have the need to change the pads and just stuck with the standard Hope pads.

Im building this bike for when I can travel again so intend keeping it a bit longer and it needs to be able to stop on big long descents not like the ant hill mountains in Australia. So I got myself some Urberbike pads last week, interested to see if it makes much of a difference to the Hope.

Brakes on the build. Silver & black of coarse.
Hope Tech 3 E4 with Hope 203mm floating rotors front and rear, Uberbike race matrix pads.

+ another frame pic

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The Race Matrix pads are great in Hope brakes. Keep the modulation, but gain power. Word of warning though, I've found they don't play nicely with used rotors. They were damn noisey when used with rotors that had been previously used with Hope's sintered pads (I had given the rotors a light scrub with emery paper, but not super aggressively cleaned them). When using fresh pads with fresh rotors, they were silent. Good combo.

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
The Race Matrix pads are great in Hope brakes. Keep the modulation, but gain power. Word of warning though, I've found they don't play nicely with used rotors. They were damn noisey when used with rotors that had been previously used with Hope's sintered pads (I had given the rotors a light scrub with emery paper, but not super aggressively cleaned them). When using fresh pads with fresh rotors, they were silent. Good combo.
Thats good to know beeb.

Just relaised photo above was wrong wheel. Black ones are this build and are new.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

Thanks @Ash HT recognise you work for them and can't give commercial in confidence information I was chasing more general info on Ti properties and basics of frame building. I probably should have just looked at roosts site as they gave me a lot of what I was interested in there.

We know you will smash this bike on the toughest trails so we have really beefed it up, rear swing arm is 25mm diameter x 1.6mm G9 titanium almost double the thickness and diameter as other Titanium bikes. The CNC gussets are G5 titanium, the work house of all titanium’s and the lower tube is 51mm diameter compared to 44mm on other frames. This beast really is a work of art but if you are wondering it is a bit heavier than your average carbon rig.

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
Thanks @Ash HT recognise you work for them and can't give commercial in confidence information I was chasing more general info on Ti properties and basics of frame building. I probably should have just looked at roosts site as they gave me a lot of what I was interested in there.

We know you will smash this bike on the toughest trails so we have really beefed it up, rear swing arm is 25mm diameter x 1.6mm G9 titanium almost double the thickness and diameter as other Titanium bikes. The CNC gussets are G5 titanium, the work house of all titanium’s and the lower tube is 51mm diameter compared to 44mm on other frames. This beast really is a work of art but if you are wondering it is a bit heavier than your average carbon rig.
I don't mind giving out some of the info like what's on the website, also if someone posts a design from a builder like Waltly for example and I see something that's not right will point it out as a "Suggestion"

I was thinking of doing a thread on Titanium factory's, I know a few of them including Waltly. But Waltly is a small factory in comparison to the big 3.

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
Got a SMS today, DHL delivered a parcel......... couldn't wait to get back only thing I could think of was its the Cane Creek order with my rear shock.

But no, its the daughters online shopping.........

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Got a SMS today, DHL delivered a parcel......... couldn't wait to get back only thing I could think of was its the Cane Creek order with my rear shock.

But no, its the daughters online shopping.........
Your daughter's a shocker.