BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

moorey

call me Mia
Light bars are available from all the brands, also eBay or any marine store - just attach one to the rear wheels and plug into the trailer plug and you’re perfectly legal.
I’m told a lot that come stock with racks are illegal. Too narrow between lights. Not sure if this varies state to state.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
I’m told a lot that come stock with racks are illegal. Too narrow between lights. Not sure if this varies state to state.
I would have to check but from memory, the ADR requires 600mm between the lights for vehicles over 1.3m - I can’t comment on the distance of other brands as I’ve never had to measure them.

Edit: yes 600mm min between lights, lights to be symmetrical about centre of vehicle, min 350mm from ground to bottom of lights but max 1500mm to top of lights. Lights should be visible from up to 45 degree angle.

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
For anyone running a single trail or shingle back style vertical racks. Have you had any issues with the plod regarding number plate or lights being obscured?
Solutions?

I have a bike rack number plate from RMS already but a few locals have copped fines for lights being blocked by bikes on rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have my plate mounted here as I mainly carry no more than two bikes but I wanted to be able to carry more like I did on the weekend.

I'm also planning to work out some sort of light setup at some stage as well. Haven't heard of anyone here in Tassie getting pinnged but it's only a matter of time as there's hundreds of these type of racks getting about.
The Single Trail racks come with a number plate mount with bungies that can be attached around two bike tyres when you have a full load, but that doesn't address the covering of you lights issue.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you have a towbar and trailer plug just buy a light board from superthingy or ripco. Maybe $70. That is what I have done. Lots of options to mount it on the bikes with a couple of cable ties or tek screws through the tyres.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
If you have a towbar and trailer plug just buy a light board from superthingy or ripco. Maybe $70. That is what I have done. Lots of options to mount it on the bikes with a couple of cable ties or tek screws through the tyres.

Bungee balls are a good cheap reusable option available in a lot of places including the stores you mentioned - screws might get exy a bit fast…

Attachments

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I have my plate mounted here as I mainly carry no more than two bikes but I wanted to be able to carry more like I did on the weekend.
View attachment 381097
I'm also planning to work out some sort of light setup at some stage as well. Haven't heard of anyone here in Tassie getting pinnged but it's only a matter of time as there's hundreds of these type of racks getting about.
The Single Trail racks come with a number plate mount with bungies that can be attached around two bike tyres when you have a full load, but that doesn't address the covering of you lights issue.
Light bar hanging off the bikes sounds a bit ghetto and too much stuffing around - i reckon mount some lights on the top bar where you have the number plate so theyre visible between bikes.

moorey

call me Mia
Light bar hanging off the bikes sounds a bit ghetto and too much stuffing around - i reckon mount some lights on the top bar where you have the number plate so theyre visible between bikes.

Doesn’t work with rack fully loaded.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Doesn’t work with rack fully loaded.
Yeah it difficult to find a hassle free option with the vertical racks. The light bars only work when you have more than one bike on. If you are like me and have just one 80% of the time it's not an option. I have been looking a modifying my rack and having just a two bike capacity and mount them cross ways. As about 18% of the time I would have just two bikes. Then I can have a light and plate mount in the center. I would need to unbolt the top and middle bar if I needed more than two bikes on it and then just use a light bar for those occasions.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Also not legal as the lights are supposed to be no more than 1.5m from the ground.

ausdb

Being who he is
Plus one on the trailer light bar. I didn't get done by the plods but have a company car with phone numbers and URLs on it. I think copping a reaming from head office because someone rang them and complained they couldn't see my lights and then the please explain about why there was a bike carrier on the car without approval was worse than a fine.
Also it's cheaper to buy one of those light bars than buy a set of LED trailer lights, cable and plug then dick around making a light bar. The stock ones are way too long and need cutting down to make them a bit more manageable tho.