Little Things You Hate

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The guy was a machine and had ridden all over the world, the only place he felt scared riding was Australia.
Our country’s reputation towards cyclists is sadly known worldwide.
Half the reason I have taken my roadie on work trips to europe is aside from being a good way to force reset my jet lag before work, is that I get to experience just for one or two days the joy of riding in not Australia... Its so bloody nice not being fucking terrified all the time!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
waited months for covid restrictions to get a sparky in for a couple of broken lights and a dodgy switch. Switch is for a light that works off 3 switches, looked fine when he tested it after a trip to the supplier and some trial and error. now the light only works with some random combination of the 3 switches. I cant even figure out a pattern to it. there's only 3 of them, how many combinations can there be

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
waited months for covid restrictions to get a sparky in for a couple of broken lights and a dodgy switch. Switch is for a light that works off 3 switches, looked fine when he tested it after a trip to the supplier and some trial and error. now the light only works with some random combination of the 3 switches. I cant even figure out a pattern to it. there's only 3 of them, how many combinations can there be

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The guy was a machine and had ridden all over the world, the only place he felt scared riding was Australia.
Our country’s reputation towards cyclists is sadly known worldwide.
They under estimated the speed, calculated it from the wrong tried and tested place. Gave his 'stained' clothing back to his wife with the rest of his gear. Failed to mention the young driver only had one light working on his car and the working light only had a beam of 10m... his estimated speed was 114kph at impact.

No one wants to see a young bloke go to jail but it was a massive injustice to his family.

The crash scene as investigated.

The only evidence that Mike had reflective stuff on his bike and lights were from the crash scened photos, the police gave all the evidence back to the family.

cammas

Seamstress
They under estimated the speed, calculated it from the wrong tried and tested place. Gave his 'stained' clothing back to his wife with the rest of his gear. Failed to mention the young driver only had one light working on his car and the working light only had a beam of 10m... his estimated speed was 114kph at impact.

No one wants to see a young bloke go to jail but it was a massive injustice to his family.

The crash scene as investigated.

The only evidence that Mike had reflective stuff on his bike and lights were from the crash scened photos, the police gave all the evidence back to the family.

View attachment 381959
Yep, I have read few things on the way it was handled and was a complete shambles, when his mother flew over for the inquest she forgave the driver, she is stronger person than I think I would be.
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/10/a-m...t-hall-hugged-the-driver-that-killed-her-son/

ozzybmx

Yep, I have read few things on the way it was handled and was a complete shambles, when his mother flew over for the inquest she forgave the driver, she is stronger person than I think I would be.
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/10/a-m...t-hall-hugged-the-driver-that-killed-her-son/
Theres no doubt that any court in the land would say the rider was riding impaired. Mike made a comment the night before that he could hardly see...

Bloody sad anyway, a botched Police investigation and a sad outcome.

A terrible end to the 2017 IndyPac... I dot watched them the whole way and went down to see Mike when he rode through Adelaide. Also met a few other stragglers in Melrose... who were by no means straggling, it just that Mike and Kristoff were superhuman.

stirk

Burner
I have the same weird wiring in my house. I think the original sparky had a mean sence of humour or was smoking the wacky weed when they designed the wiring. Even after 5 years living in this house I still don't know which 100 switches turns on each of the 25 globes.

ausdb

Being who he is
LTIH: Trek don’t use a 34.9 clamp for their 31.6 seat post they use a 35.4, the clamp I got of Isaak was 34.9 :rolleyes:, well in the spares box it goes.
LTIL: the packing Isaak did for the clamp, some people and companies could learn from him.
I hate that too, I found out the hard way about Trek seatposts a few weeks back too, it really limits your choice of reasonably priced options :mad:.

Testify to the service and packing from @Isaakk used bike parts emporium!

ozzybmx

Hes fekked up the wiring, should be pretty simple and look like this.

Should have used a 4-way intermediate light switch in the middle.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A mate rewired some interconnected ceiling fans with lights. He managed to have the fan come on flat out with the light switch and the lights had three levels of illumination. I have no idea why or how.

ausdb

Being who he is
Intermediate switch in the middle of a two way switch circuit. If wired correctly then just flick one of the three switches opposite to what it is and it should turn on, there will never be a fixed on or off position.

ausdb

Being who he is
A mate rewired some interconnected ceiling fans with lights. He managed to have the fan come on flat out with the light switch and the lights had three levels of illumination. I have no idea why or how.
Easy mix up the wire from the fan speed controller and connect it to the light and vice versa!
No offence to @ozzybmx and any other electrician on the forum but I deal with a lot of electricians in my day job (air conditioning). For the most part most of them struggle to read a wiring diagram and even mix up active neutral and earth.

ozzybmx

Easy mix up the wire from the fan speed controller and connect it to the light and vice versa!
No offence to @ozzybmx and any other electrician on the forum but I deal with a lot of electricians in my day job (air conditioning). For the most part most of them struggle to read a wiring diagram and even mix up active neutral and earth.
None taken, I've worked with some that I don't even know how they manage to drive to work :p

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Agree with the above comments, the switch he replaced may have been the intermediate switch even if it was physically located at one of the ends and if he put a standard changeover switch in it's place then you'll likely get the result you've ended up with. Get the sparky back and have him try again.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LTIH: Trek don’t use a 34.9 clamp for their 31.6 seat post they use a 35.4, the clamp I got of Isaak was 34.9 :rolleyes:, well in the spares box it goes.
LTIL: the packing Isaak did for the clamp, some people and companies could learn from him.
Ahh well shit, that's a bummer. Can't stretch it out?

Yeah sometimes I can get a bit overkill with the packaging haha, some stuff gets quite elaborate & in one case a box ended up being more tape than cardboard. :p

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Power went out at 10am today,only our house affected.

Powercor guys came out an hour ago. Can't find the pit. Turns out the previous owners dumped a massive garden bed over the pit.

Just spent the last hour helping dig down 400mm to access the pit.

Also yukkas

slowmick

38-39"
We have an awesome fan light heater in our bathroom. When you turn the fan off before the lights it may or may not trip a separate light circuit in fuse box. Mostly seems to happen when it's freezing cold or raining outside as I have to walk around the house to get to the fuse box.

cammas

Seamstress
Ahh well shit, that's a bummer. Can't stretch it out?

Yeah sometimes I can get a bit overkill with the packaging haha, some stuff gets quite elaborate & in one case a box ended up being more tape than cardboard. :p
If it was shitty brand clamp I’d stretch it but it’s always good to have spares for a bike you haven’t brought yet :D

I think we’ve all done the more tape than box trick but had giggle at the size of box. Thanks for the quick postage!

Minlak

custom titis
But they are interchangeable