Found. WTB. Medium MTB on a budget

moorey

call me Mia
I've been given the thumbs up to purchase a second bike for use for the kids I work with. Could get a recycled freebie, but chasing something a bit cooler, as the other bike is a sweet 26 Commy Meta TR donated years ago by @dh1, and there'll be fights over bikes if it doesn't at least look cool.
Budget isn't great, won't get much new for the brass, so seeing what's out there unused in burners sheds. I can donate a few parts if it needs love, but hoping for something pretty ready to rock.

Item: Let's try for a Medium. The kids range from 10-17, but used to badly sized bikes. Dooly would be sweet...because cooler....duh. 26 is fine, nay, awesome. Full on XC not ideal, something a bit robust..aka heavier.
Price: Up to $500 (delivered if required). Lockdown obviously an issue currently, but hope that will change soon.
Location. Ballarat Vic. Plenty of metro melb mates that it could be dropped at.
Condition: Ridable.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I have a crafty frame I swapped with poodle for some totems, originally had a kid in mind for it but dragged my feet for so long so I don't really have a use for it anymore.

Got a nice set of old lyriks that I'm loathe to let go of but I got them cheap off fi and I have more forks than I know what to do with.

Got giant branded dtswiss wheels I can throw in for nothing if the rear axle can be linkified (135x10, needs reaming to 135x12. Shouldn't be an issue as the hub axle is thick, and steel)

Got a shock for it, I believe it's the stock crafty shock. If it's not then it's similar.

Got bars, maybe a stem, but probably too long to be desirable.

Got some basic cranks, possibly Isis or square drive

Maybe have a driveline in 10speed flavour

...I'll do a proper stocktake if this sounds interesting to you?

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
I have a crafty frame I swapped with poodle for some totems, originally had a kid in mind for it but dragged my feet for so long so I don't really have a use for it anymore.

Got a nice set of old lyriks that I'm loathe to let go of but I got them cheap off fi and I have more forks than I know what to do with.

Got giant branded dtswiss wheels I can throw in for nothing if the rear axle can be linkified (135x10, needs reaming to 135x12. Shouldn't be an issue as the hub axle is thick, and steel)

Got a shock for it, I believe it's the stock crafty shock. If it's not then it's similar.

Got bars, maybe a stem, but probably too long to be desirable.

Got some basic cranks, possibly Isis or square drive

Maybe have a driveline in 10speed flavour

...I'll do a proper stocktake if this sounds interesting to you?

Don't do yourself out of good stuff you'll regret parting with, my good man.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Don't do yourself out of good stuff you'll regret parting with, my good man.
I only want to keep the lyriks because they're lyriks, and I have enough other wall ornament forks. Taking the frame and wheels would be almost doing me a favour, one less project that I don't have time or a purpose for

And/or

Could swing Barry the burner bike your way? Wouldn't be a bad way for him to see out his days

moorey

call me Mia
Could swing Barry the burner bike your way? Wouldn't be a bad way for him to see out his days
It's gotta look fully sick fooly sik, aka, a sweet dualie unfortunately.
If I put one kid on a commy meta TR, good luck putting the brother on Barry, however cool we all know he is. He's currently using my Orange, but he'll soon work out it's not as cool as he first thought.
Can you chuck me a couple of pics of the other though? I'll show my manager. I'm not that enthused about throwing in a set of my own forks either at this point, though I have Pikes with fucked stanchions on Felixs school bike that would probably hold up long enough....

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
It's gotta look fully sick fooly sik, aka, a sweet dualie unfortunately.
If I put one kid on a commy meta TR, good luck putting the brother on Barry, however cool we all know he is. He's currently using my Orange, but he'll soon work out it's not as cool as he first thought.
Can you chuck me a couple of pics of the other though? I'll show my manager. I'm not that enthused about throwing in a set of my own forks either at this point, though I have Pikes with fucked stanchions on Felixs school bike that would probably hold up long enough....

What about a frame to start? I think I still have this Jamis frame if that helps. It was a 27.5 130mm travel bike

moorey

call me Mia
View attachment 382165
What about a frame to start? I think I still have this Jamis frame if that helps. It was a 27.5 130mm travel bike
Cheers, but gets too messy and expensive when it requires a build. I donate a lot of stuff to keep the other bike going, and it might sound selfish, but not prepared to throw a heap of my own parts on. I've really only got good quality spares these days.
It's an impossible brief, and I also don't want to deprive other burners of their stuff. I'll let him keep riding my Orange if nothing pops up. I can't leave bikes at their unit to ride in their own time anyway.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Cheers, but gets too messy and expensive when it requires a build. I donate a lot of stuff to keep the other bike going, and it might sound selfish, but not prepared to throw a heap of my own parts on. I've really only got good quality spares these days.
It's an impossible brief, and I also don't want to deprive other burners of their stuff. I'll let him keep riding my Orange if nothing pops up. I can't leave bikes at their unit to ride in their own time anyway.
I completely understand. I'll keep an eye for you though. Only FS? A good HT maybe?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Frame is a medium crafty frx
Shock is monarch rt3
Forks are Olde lyrik air
Wheels are dt ex500 on giant front hub and kore rear hub
Cranks are truvative square taper or deore octalink

I've also got a set of those new old stock revelations, but they're 15mm axle so probably no good with the wheelset.

Wheels are well loved. The rear hub was cooked so swapped something with fi for a spanking new Kore hub, front hub was fine, both wheels have dings and wobbles but pass the tubeless test so I called them usable. (Currently in use but I have a set of shiny oilslick hubs and stans flow to build)