What are you listening to NOW?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Make-up wearing "math-metal" guys

F*** yeah, takes me back to being an 18 year old snot. Lost and Found was a good album too.

Not that talking about your yearly Spotify summary is in any way cool but I'm gonna do it anyway. Top two most listened to songs for me were Threat of your Presence by Born of Osiris, but Borderland Sorrows by Slow Meadow was #2. Bit of a juxtaposition there....

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Not that talking about your yearly Spotify summary is in any way cool but I'm gonna do it anyway.
Mine is full of songs played to my 4yr old as I put him to bed.

Having said that, when I got no.2 started on drum kit this year, it reignited some old faves.
Pneuma (that vid from a few posts ago - omg) for sure. Last live show I saw before lockdowns.
But then Stuart Copeland and his magical hihats, and Gavin Harrison's polyrhythm freakiness on porcupine, pineapple, and crimson tracks.

Move over, Dad wants a go on the kit!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Make-up wearing "math-metal" guys

I don't know why, but briefly I thought "is this a nu metal cover of roots by Sepultura?" Some great bass in there!

I had a few hours working solo this afternoon so had some hard core techno pumping through the venue and 90s metal blasting in the coolroom. It was nice transitioning between the 2.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I don't know why, but briefly I thought "is this a nu metal cover of roots by Sepultura?" Some great bass in there!

I had a few hours working solo this afternoon so had some hard core techno pumping through the venue and 90s metal blasting in the coolroom. It was nice transitioning between the 2.
Ye 'ol Mudvayne definitely are influenced by Sepultura

madstace

Likes Dirt
Ye 'ol Mudvayne definitely are influenced by Sepultura
Not entirely sure I see it apart from them being one of the pioneers of metal (as Poodle mentions). Especially can't see the bassists lining up. Sure, Paulo Jr is a fine bass player, but Ryan Martinie is a fucking god!

Either way, both bands are awesome. Not many people love Derrick Green era Sepultura, but they've done some great stuff over the years.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Not entirely sure I see it apart from them being one of the pioneers of metal (as Poodle mentions). Especially can't see the bassists lining up. Sure, Paulo Jr is a fine bass player, but Ryan Martinie is a fucking god!

Either way, both bands are awesome. Not many people love Derrick Green era Sepultura, but they've done some great stuff over the years.
Yes fair point "definitely" probably not a good choice of words by me haha.

I guess some parts of the LD50 record could be classed as "Groove metal" and of course Sepultura are one of the kings of this genre...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I think that might relate to the sizeable falling out when max left and soul fly being pretty good.

Might just have been I heard roots this afternoon deep in my ice metal dungeon...ory brain being mush, but for the first 15-30 seconds on that song I really thought it was a cover of roots in a nu metal cross over style. I think the way dig rolls off his tongue is the similarity.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Soulfly was pretty damn good but like Sepultura lost their way for a while. Sepultura got their groove back so to speak when they got their fucking beast of a drummer Eloy Casagrande in. He might just be better than Igor and is a damn good chance of being his illegitimate son. I'd like to think Killer Be Killed reinvigorated Max and why the last effort was so good.