Project Hyrax: johnny's build thread

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Thanks all.

F-it, I'm just going to break the budget (even further) And buy some new brakes (the Shimano 4-pots). The challenge now will be finding some in stock. I can find a front set, but not back set. Would even be happy to pout 4-pots on the front and just update the rear/left lever to an M8000 keeping the rear brake a 2-potter, if I could find a left lever*.

* I did find one, but it's about $100 and the fuckers are price gouging with something that is normally about $75 and they can go fuck themselves.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
M785, I believe. Will check and confirm. They were OEM on a Trek Remedy 9 in 2013.
When you need to rehome those @johnny, I have a space for them in my garage...

If you're going to blow the budget, what's a few extra dollars? Go all new XT 4 pot front and match it to xt rear...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Bikebug has the quad piston M8120s in stock.

On the Boxing day sales, we picked up front and rear M8100s dual piston XTs from BikeBug for $122.50 an end, #1 is stoked, says they are far better than his old Guide R... and as a bonus, I now no longer have SRAM on any bike we own.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
When you need to rehome those @johnny, I have a space for them in my garage...

If you're going to blow the budget, what's a few extra dollars? Go all new XT 4 pot front and match it to xt rear...

That's a 2-piston setup, unfortunately. I already have them and are what I will be looking to sell (the 2013 versions anyway) once I upgrade.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Bikebug has the quad piston M8120s in stock.

On the Boxing day sales, we picked up front and rear M8100s dual piston XTs from BikeBug for $122.50 an end, #1 is stoked, says they are far better than his old Guide R... and as a bonus, I now no longer have SRAM on any bike we own.
Bikebug have front, but no rear. If I can find an M8000 left/rear lever, I Will buy front from them and the rear lever elsewhere and combine what I have.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's a 2-piston setup, unfortunately. I already have them and are what I will be looking to sell (the 2013 versions anyway) once I upgrade.
I must have misread, I thought you said 4 pot front and 2 pot rear was your aim as you couldn't find a 4 pot rear?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
M785, I believe. Will check and confirm. They were OEM on a Trek Remedy 9 in 2013.
If you're stuck, and the fitment you have will work with M8000 series I have the bar clamp version so we could swap the fitting. Obviously keeping our own levers.

Just a thought

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
4 pot caliper plus the 2 piston set, sell the caliper...
I must have misread, I thought you said 4 pot front and 2 pot rear was your aim as you couldn't find a 4 pot rear?
I have the 2-pot set now (the 2013 jobbies), I'd like 4-pot for the front, M8000 for the rear lever and would fit that to the 2-pot that I have on the rear now.
If you're stuck, and the fitment you have will work with M8000 series I have the bar clamp version so we could swap the fitting. Obviously keeping our own levers.

Just a thought
Mate, I tell ya, that IS a thought.

If I can't find the new parts in a week or so, I might take you up on that offer.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Pffft, "SLX"

Thanks, but I have an "all the gear, no idea" reputation to uphold.

Picked up XT 4-pots for the front and 2-pots for the back, with a lever that will fit the dropper mount.

My only fear is that the new right hand lever won't fit my old Ispec XT gear selector.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My only fear is that the new right hand lever won't fit my old Ispec XT gear selector.
If you bought M8120 4-pot front, you will need I-spec EV.

I believe I-Spec II can be adapted to I-Spec EV with a modified bolt but not so sure on I-Spec A/B.

EDIT: Had to search for this, it was a mod I did with a SRAM Matchmaker kit. It may be an option for you.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Pic from the morning after (once all the 'other' aluminium had been tidied up). All that's left is popping the cassette and chain on, bleeding the brakes and obsessive tweaking (which will involve a new stem and bars, once I work out what's required).

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Front tyre is also too thin - 2.3, but that's all that was available at the time. It'll hopefully be replaced soon, to be put on the rear, with something around 2.5 on the front.