Michelin Wild Enduro issue [Warranty?]

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Gents!

Prior to unloading the bike at Bright yesterday, I happened to noticed my front tyre (Michelin Wild Enduro as per the thread title) had developed a nice ring of cracking most of the way around the tyre between the sidewall and side knobs.

I bought this front/rear set in July 2020, and due to the Victorian COVID lockdowns I've put these tyres on dirt for maybe 4-5 hours (3 rides) total since. The tyres have always remained inflated.

Having access to a Trek Rail via work meant any quick opportunity I had to ride in between brief lockdown breaks went to the e-bike, thanks to declining strength and fitness.

Anyone else experienced similar wear/deterioration/cracking issues from their Michelins?

I've reached out to Pushys, where I purchased them... But in the meantime does anyone happen to know the Michelin warranty period or process?

Other tyre warranty/premature wear or failure experiences also welcomed!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Just went to the shed and checked mine. Wild Enduro front and back. Been on there for a bit over a year and all good. I note there has been no stock in 29” for a loooong time so maybe they have known issues??

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Just went to the shed and checked mine. Wild Enduro front and back. Been on there for a bit over a year and all good. I note there has been no stock in 29” for a loooong time so maybe they have known issues??
I contacted the michelin distributor in Australia a while ago and they told me stock levels had to do with covid. Looking at the tyre market in general, seems to track. Hard to get much of anything for a while, unless you're 27.5

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Yeah look as shit at is to have cracked tyres after 4-5hrs use, they've actually had approx 10,000hrs of exposure to the elements just sitting there. heating up, cooling down, humidity changes, UV, etc., all affect the rubber.
Storing tyres is best done in a dark, temperature stable room wrapped in plastic.
Time for the bin.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Gents!

Prior to unloading the bike at Bright yesterday, I happened to noticed my front tyre (Michelin Wild Enduro as per the thread title) had developed a nice ring of cracking most of the way around the tyre between the sidewall and side knobs.

View attachment 385300

I bought this front/rear set in July 2020, and due to the Victorian COVID lockdowns I've put these tyres on dirt for maybe 4-5 hours (3 rides) total since. The tyres have always remained inflated.

Having access to a Trek Rail via work meant any quick opportunity I had to ride in between brief lockdown breaks went to the e-bike, thanks to declining strength and fitness.

Anyone else experienced similar wear/deterioration/cracking issues from their Michelins?

I've reached out to Pushys, where I purchased them... But in the meantime does anyone happen to know the Michelin warranty period or process?

Other tyre warranty/premature wear or failure experiences also welcomed!
Yeah that looks pretty familiar… I’ve bought some Continentals.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Yeah look as shit at is to have cracked tyres after 4-5hrs use, they've actually had approx 10,000hrs of exposure to the elements just sitting there. heating up, cooling down, humidity changes, UV, etc., all affect the rubber.
Storing tyres is best done in a dark, temperature stable room wrapped in plastic.
Time for the bin.
I don't really find this to be an acceptable coverage of excuses.

No other bike tyre I've ever had has done anything like this.

For example: I had a set of Schwalbe Magic Mary/Hans Dampf on one bike for about 5 years with no cracking or rubber deterioration outside standard tread wear from use... And they had been in extreme country Victorian summer heat, they lived outside through a Tasmanian winter, in various sheds, cars, and ridden across all kinds of terrain and environments at different times of the year... Still nothing.

Also consider the fact that Warehouses, where this stuff is stored at the manufacturer, then the international distributor, then the retailer (whether a more Warehouse operation like Pushys or a general retail store) are all subject to the same temperature changes, humidity, etc etc... But nothing sold off the shelf is cracked, I bet.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I’ve had a couple that developed cosmetic cracks over a long period. Didn’t effect tyre at all. Quinn still running them.
I advise people not to buy them. Particularly the 27.5’s. More for me.

Ponchoatdirtworks

Likes Dirt
On Schwalbe tyres?
Full disclosure - I’ve only had their Big Apple & Marathon tyres.

Big Apples are amazing on & off road. Marathons are too hard & can’t be both indestructible & grippy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
On Schwalbe tyres?
Full disclosure - I’ve only had their Big Apple & Marathon tyres.

Big Apples are amazing on & off road. Marathons are too hard & can’t be both indestructible & grippy.

The Duranos are better for pure road touring and the Marathon Mondials are amazing on and off road touring tyres.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I don't really find this to be an acceptable coverage of excuses.

No other bike tyre I've ever had has done anything like this.

For example: I had a set of Schwalbe Magic Mary/Hans Dampf on one bike for about 5 years with no cracking or rubber deterioration outside standard tread wear from use... And they had been in extreme country Victorian summer heat, they lived outside through a Tasmanian winter, in various sheds, cars, and ridden across all kinds of terrain and environments at different times of the year... Still nothing.

Also consider the fact that Warehouses, where this stuff is stored at the manufacturer, then the international distributor, then the retailer (whether a more Warehouse operation like Pushys or a general retail store) are all subject to the same temperature changes, humidity, etc etc... But nothing sold off the shelf is cracked, I bet.
I'm not making excuses for Michelin, but Okay.

Ponchoatdirtworks

Likes Dirt
Interesting pointers here on caring for rubber.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's the compound of the rubber that they're made from, and it's been a known issue for a while. Most people will say that they're good because they replace them before 500km and they chern that over in a few months.