COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Minimal here, eldest son had a temperature and sore throat for several days and returned three negative RATs and a negative PCR, wife complained of a sore throat for three days and returned negative RATs each day before going positive on the evening of the third.

EDIT: for our small sample size they are 100% accurate when they return a positive, only the negative results have been questionable.
I only went positive about 2 days after the worst of my symptoms. My sister was about the same, maybe 3 days. Heard similar stories from others as well.

Common sense (ha) would dictate that if you feel shit, covid or not, then stay away from other people regardless.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm fucking pregnant and I don't know who the father is!!!

So the long version is - I decided last week that summer can get fucked and I'm going to spend February in Canada. Afterall the epic pass I barely got to use here last season has some free days at whistler...a few inquries and the pass includes 10 free days! A lot more than I expected. So I hustled around a few friends to see if anyone else was in and got one. There was a slight delay in buying flights as he had to do the rego thing and his boss didn't put pay through on time. There was also the unravelling of some convoluted language on the Canadian government site about entry requirements, which may or may not include the need to quarantine for 1 to 10 or 14 days because they couldn't keep their story straight.

In the mean time over the last 2 weeks I worked for 12 out of 14 days, with around 1400 people each night and to top it all off a 200 person wedding. Then it was Tuesday morning and my throat was just a little tiny bit itchy and I would cough occasionally. I took a rapid test and it was negative. The day went on and I was still not convinced...should I just buy the airfare and throw all caution to the wind? Then my mum hit me up - I'm having a minor surgical procedure on my calf muscle on Thursday, can you babysit me on Thursday night? Of course I can...but what if I'm sick? Mum visits super gran a bit too. I can't be the one that infects these people! Well rapid test number 2 just in case number 1 was a dud. Well I'm clear! Off to work.

Come wednesday I was fine, symptom free. I guess I was just tired and dehydrated after all the working and being bad at hydration in this weather. My voice has been husky batman meets Tom Waits with a little Barry White for a long time as it is, so maybe it's something to do with having worn out my vocal chords? How could I catch it? I'm the PPE champion at work!!! Or as the lazier team members might say Nazi. I'm triple vaccinated...though only just the third dose. I get a text form a coworker - she is positive. That sucks, I'm symptom free and riding my bike! Of course I offer to help her anyway I can.

Today I'm symptom free again and living my life. Then the afternoon swings around and I am set to go babysit mum so I figure as an act of caution and a little bit of "oh damn that feels good..." I'd do another rapid test. And fuck me that thing was positive within about 2 minutes of the drops hitting the mark!

So now I'm bored out of my mind after approximately 3 hours of quarantine. Canada is all up in the air. My sister is scoring brownie points babysitting...it should be me drinking mum's wine! And above all else I really wish that the test on Tuesday had of picked this shit up because then I'd at least be half way to freedom. Oh and I'm fending off offers to loan me a television from everybody! It's only a few more days...thanks, but I don't need your television.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

So the long version is - I decided last week that summer can get fucked and I'm going to spend February in Canada. Afterall the epic pass I barely got to use here last season has some free days at whistler...a few inquries and the pass includes 10 free days! A lot more than I expected. So I hustled around a few friends to see if anyone else was in and got one. There was a slight delay in buying flights as he had to do the rego thing and his boss didn't put pay through on time. There was also the unravelling of some convoluted language on the Canadian government site about entry requirements, which may or may not include the need to quarantine for 1 to 10 or 14 days because they couldn't keep their story straight.

In the mean time over the last 2 weeks I worked for 12 out of 14 days, with around 1400 people each night and to top it all off a 200 person wedding. Then it was Tuesday morning and my throat was just a little tiny bit itchy and I would cough occasionally. I took a rapid test and it was negative. The day went on and I was still not convinced...should I just buy the airfare and throw all caution to the wind? Then my mum hit me up - I'm having a minor surgical procedure on my calf muscle on Thursday, can you babysit me on Thursday night? Of course I can...but what if I'm sick? Mum visits super gran a bit too. I can't be the one that infects these people! Well rapid test number 2 just in case number 1 was a dud. Well I'm clear! Off to work.

Come wednesday I was fine, symptom free. I guess I was just tired and dehydrated after all the working and being bad at hydration in this weather. My voice has been husky batman meets Tom Waits with a little Barry White for a long time as it is, so maybe it's something to do with having worn out my vocal chords? How could I catch it? I'm the PPE champion at work!!! Or as the lazier team members might say Nazi. I'm triple vaccinated...though only just the third dose. I get a text form a coworker - she is positive. That sucks, I'm symptom free and riding my bike! Of course I offer to help her anyway I can.

Today I'm symptom free again and living my life. Then the afternoon swings around and I am set to go babysit mum so I figure as an act of caution and a little bit of "oh damn that feels good..." I'd do another rapid test. And fuck me that thing was positive within about 2 minutes of the drops hitting the mark!

So now I'm bored out of my mind after approximately 3 hours of quarantine. Canada is all up in the air. My sister is scoring brownie points babysitting...it should be me drinking mum's wine! And above all else I really wish that the test on Tuesday had of picked this shit up because then I'd at least be half way to freedom. Oh and I'm fending off offers to loan me a television from everybody! It's only a few more days...thanks, but I don't need your television.
Ah that sucks, sorry to hear. RATs are pretty shit to be honest, wish PCR tests were more readily available still… Hopefully you keep feeling okay.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ah that sucks, sorry to hear. RATs are pretty shit to be honest, wish PCR tests were more readily available still… Hopefully you keep feeling okay.

The reliance on rats and self reporting is a commitment to failure.

I'm sure I'll be fine. Some of the most unhealthy people I know have had it and been "pretty sock for a few days, bored for the rest."

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If it ruins a snow trip I’m gonna be pissed.
Oh that is pretty much a 100% guarantee. I've spent a lot of hours trying to work out the entry requirements before I got this complication and have been back at it this afternoon. The primary hurdle seems to be that I would require proof of a positive molecular test no less than 11 days prior to my arrival.

Well good luck getting a molecular test in NSW...most PCR testing sites have closed down or now have restricted hours, their text message response isn't sufficient, and now that I have advised the state government of my status as a positive case it is (by my understanding) illegal for me to leave the house to go and get a PCR test unless I am specifically instructed to do so by NSW health! And they are of course saying not to get one if you have a positive rat. Even if I did go and get a PCR tomorrow I would need to restart my quarantine and be another day behind.

I have emailed the Canadian authorities, but like most government websites they really didn't want me to email them and I'm not sure I've emailed the right area...and even if I have I'll likely not get a response for a long time.

Sad to say I think I have failed to touch snow again this summer.

One of my sailing mates had it over the holiday break, said he's had worse hangovers.
I am tempted to push the boat out tongiht actually...I mean it is Thursday after all, the traditional night of thirst.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Oh that is pretty much a 100% guarantee. I've spent a lot of hours trying to work out the entry requirements before I got this complication and have been back at it this afternoon. The primary hurdle seems to be that I would require proof of a positive molecular test no less than 11 days prior to my arrival.

Well good luck getting a molecular test in NSW...most PCR testing sites have closed down or now have restricted hours, their text message response isn't sufficient, and now that I have advised the state government of my status as a positive case it is (by my understanding) illegal for me to leave the house to go and get a PCR test unless I am specifically instructed to do so by NSW health! And they are of course saying not to get one if you have a positive rat. Even if I did go and get a PCR tomorrow I would need to restart my quarantine and be another day behind.

I have emailed the Canadian authorities, but like most government websites they really didn't want me to email them and I'm not sure I've emailed the right area...and even if I have I'll likely not get a response for a long time.

Sad to say I think I have failed to touch snow again this summer.

I am tempted to push the boat out tongiht actually...I mean it is Thursday after all, the traditional night of thirst.
You can do tests at the airport with priority turnaround. Just need to be there around 6 hours before your flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You can do tests at the airport with priority turnaround. Just need to be there around 6 hours before your flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly on their website, I need the test for my positive situation to be a minimum of 11 days prior to my arrival. Getting a departure test isn't the issue nor is the test they will (randomly) administer on arrival. They will both show up as having covid in my body, so I require the formal positive test to prove that I had covid and that at least 11 days has transpired since that was confirmed.

I wonder how they picked 11 days? Put government picked 7 and that seemed pretty random.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
PCR tests are available. our testing numbers are about 25-30% of what they were when we were doing them well. So its just amatter of turning up. I see heaps of testing sites empty part of the day now because people cant be effed, but they are available.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
PCR tests are available. our testing numbers are about 25-30% of what they were when we were doing them well. So its just amatter of turning up. I see heaps of testing sites empty part of the day now because people cant be effed, but they are available.

I live about 300m from one here and it is between my house and work/shops/play so I ride past it with a fair bit of frequency. It is busy most of the time, regularly has the "no more tests today" sign up and sometimes the police are there turn people away. They also only open until 12.

Prior to the omicron outbreak the place was dead and had only just halved their testing site.