Which tyres do you prefer and why

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lately any special parts they want, they buy themselves.

Dad will buy them Schwalbe Bike Park Tyres, sticky as hell with Rhinoskin sidewalls and at 1500g I reckon they are near bulletproof.

Even the tyre smasher #2 son wears them out.

Totally agree, my son is yet to destroy them which is the first time ever, same with the cheap Rock Razors. He runs a DHR on the rear and while it doesn't wear out it's not a particularly grippy tyre.

I have to admit I'm not a Maxxis fan, as a tyre whore I'm not looking for something that will last me three years. I want something which is great for a shorter period rather than mediocre for ages; this then provides an excuse for me to purchase more tyres.
Currently I'm on Michelin Wild AM front and some Bontrager thing on the back which is remarkably good, in fact I've had a decent run with the Bontrager stuff. I'm a big fan of the Michelins and have been since the old 26x1.95 days, I've yet to see any failures as reported in other threads.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Has anybody else dipped a toe with the new and increasing range from Vee Tires, I have a couple of sets and rate them great for the money

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Totally agree, my son is yet to destroy them which is the first time ever, same with the cheap Rock Razors. He runs a DHR on the rear and while it doesn't wear out it's not a particularly grippy tyre.

I have to admit I'm not a Maxxis fan, as a tyre whore I'm not looking for something that will last me three years. I want something which is great for a shorter period rather than mediocre for ages; this then provides an excuse for me to purchase more tyres.
Currently I'm on Michelin Wild AM front and some Bontrager thing on the back which is remarkably good, in fact I've had a decent run with the Bontrager stuff. I'm a big fan of the Michelins and have been since the old 26x1.95 days, I've yet to see any failures as reported in other threads.
The Bontrager XR3 tyres are some of the best I've ever run. I just don't see them stocked by many suppliers.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Good point about actual tyre sizes. Measuring side knob width I measured the following tyres all within 1mm of each other. Onza aquilla 29x2.4, maxxis assegai 29x2.5 and goodyear Newton ST 2.6. The assegai and aquilla were identical width on the knobs and the Newton ST was 1mm wider. Casing was similar width on all 3 visually but I didn't pull out the vernier.

Keep that in mind when sizing different brands tyres.
So true.

I've always found the etrto width to be closer to reality than the imperial width.

Goodyear Newton ST
29x2.6" 62-622 etrto
62mm (width) = 2.441"

Maxxis Assguy
29x2.5" 63-622 etrto
63mm = 2.480"

Onza Aquila
29x2.4" 61-622 etrto
61mm = 2.402"

Who knows. Maybe they use calipers for the millimeters measurement and a nearby banana for the inches one?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The DHF & DHR were not made as front and rear specific tyres, contrary to popular belief.
F was for Freeride and R was Race
Serious? I thought people were joking, but I think you're being serious?

Dang it, just pulled the trigger on a DHF-II for the front thinking that's what the F was for. I guess in this case it stands for 'fuck it'.

Mattyp

Cows go boing

Dang it, just pulled the trigger on a DHF-II for the front thinking that's what the F was for. I guess in this case it stands for 'fuck it'.
Errr what's a DHF-II? Or am I living under a rock..

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Deadly serious.
The DHF is probably one of the most commonly used front tyres because it is good for that application.
A pair of DHF tyres is a good combo too, albeit a little slow for general trail riding.
Most people pair up a DHF with something a little faster rolling, like a Dissector, Aggressor or Minion SS

Plenty of WC guys use DHR as a pair also

Lucaw

Next in line
Deadly serious.
The DHF is probably one of the most commonly used front tyres because it is good for that application.
A pair of DHF tyres is a good combo too, albeit a little slow for general trail riding.
Most people pair up a DHF with something a little faster rolling, like a Dissector, Aggressor or Minion SS

No, you're wrong. Maxxis has specifically said that dhf stands for downhill front and dhr stands for downhill rear
you can use either front or rear though

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
No, you're wrong. Maxxis has specifically said that dhf stands for downhill front and dhr stands for downhill rear
you can use either front or rear though
There's a Vitalmtb podcast with the guy who introduced the tyres. Guess what he says...

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Since switching to 29" I've been testing a variety of tyre widths and have settled on Conti's in the 2.2" size as offering the best traction in the gravel / sand over hard pack which is pretty much all riding in and around Canberra. The wider versions of my favourite tyres offer less cornering traction than the skinnier 2.2" versions. On 26" the 2.4" versions (especially on the front) are better.

For Canberra conditions, wider is not necessarily better, particularly for 29" wheels. The thing that gives you higher cornering traction is a narrower, longer contact patch that can slice down through the loose top layer and get stuck into the hardpack below. A wider, shorter contact patch is not what you want when there is any sort of loose over hardpack (or mud).

If anyone is running monster truck tyres (or any of that plus size crap) on loose over hardpack, I'd suggest trying something narrower., particularly on the front where you can get away with less PSI. You might be surprised.

Trail King 2.2" front and Mountain King II 2.2" on the rear are working well on the Trance 29er. For bikepacking, I've got X-King 2.2" on the front and Race King 2.2" on the rear (but that's in 26").

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a Vitalmtb podcast with the guy who introduced the tyres. Guess what he says...

That's exactly where I heard it too

moorey

call me Mia

You’re all being trolled and are trolls.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

I haven't listened to that one. There was an older one. I'll try and dig it up after I have my old man nap.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, there's a trend here:

I also have a pretty clear memory of these tyres being listed as Downhill specific about 15 years ago, with the DHF/R being spelled out explicitly - hence, they were what I ran on my DH bike and in that configuration.

I'm pretty comfy sticking with my position on this;)

Oh, and @Mattyp you're right, it's not DHF-II, it's just DHF (WT EXO TR 3C MaxxTerra).

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Deadly serious.

The Titan I borrowed had 2x DHF, grip for days, hard work to pedal. The Dissector sits nicely with fairly similar grip levels on everyday riding, and super nice on fast loose over hard. Ross (Titan) was washing out the front on his DHF on the weekend in typical Stromlo conditions and had to lower pressure.

I ran some numbers just for some fun anecdotal disucssion. Are tyres overrated for improving speed?

A typical normal day out trail riding would take in some flowy downhill sections I've ridden a lot. The Titan is 2.5 DHF's, Bronson is 2.6 Dissector and 2.4 HRII, Goose is 2.1 Panaracer Dart/Smoke reissue.

Breakout Fast and Flowing:
Titan: 1:01 (1 run)
Bronson: 1:02 (100+ runs)
Mongoose: 1:07 (3 runs)

Skyline:
Titan: 2:42 (1 run)
Bronson: 2:43 (~40 runs)
Goose: 2:51 (1 run)

I reckon the tyres made 2-3 seconds per minute (5%) difference from Titan to Goose taking into account the overall difference (maybe 5%, maybe more?) in the bikes for riding down hills. That's 1990's XC tyres made of modern rubber with tubes vs one of the best combos for going fast down hills. They did cost me a lot more than the lightly used HR's :D

I felt like the Titan had more grip but these segments weren't fast enough that it was the major difference, the bike is just so much more stable it's easier to stay off the brakes when it points down. Obviously more runs would have exploited it more but I reckon there's 2% difference max in that level of tyre.

When it gets real fast like Thredbo though I reckon the gap increases, it was hard to tell following Ross as he's done it at least 8 times and me only 2 but he was quicker on most of it than me by a couple of seconds a minute on the Titan. I'm keen to ride it there next time we go.

I just wouldn't ride the Mongoose at Thredbo at my age, those days are long gone. The only two runs I did on that were at the 1998 (I think) Nationals (pre Cannonball as we know it, recall there was more fire trail and riding across ski fields) and was running borrowed IRC Missile 2.25's, they were great at the time.

I guess it's more about improving your own feeling of confidence more than speed when a lot of modern tyres are quite similar in performance on your every day not racing rides.

They need to bring back the On The Rocks II.
I rode those on the Goose for years and really liked them, similar to HRII, and the bike shop had a bunch that weren't selling so I got them cheap. This has been a pattern in my tyre usage for a very long time, cheap or free works for me :p Here's the very short review I wrote on them in 1998 for some lols. Trying to understand why I talked about riding it on the road, was it because most rides I did at the time involved road to get there or link trails in Sydney? Was it when we started riding stairs and stuff in the city? Did I sell my commuter at that time and only have one bike? I wonder if I ran them at 80 psi on the road? Anyway have a laugh at me when I was a bit older than half my age now.

Hutchinson are famous for their downhill specific tyres, they sponsor Australia's downhill series. They make damn good tyres too. The old On The Rocks was a favourite of downhillers for a long time and version II is the new fave. It has a nice hard compound, can take 80 psi and has a really aggressive tread pattern. The side knobs give excellent cornering traction and the paddles in the middle give good climbing and powering grip. The tyre seems to work well in all conditions and is also a tyre that corners well on the road, well for an off road tyre anyway. The tread diminishes a little quicker with road use though, but lasted well until I started road riding with it. Overall a great tyre with excellent ability to push through corners hard. Sorry the photo doesn't show it too well.