Tyre inserts - Tried them yet?

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I went rimpact due to weight and reviews. Working well really like them. Didn't realise how much I had been holding back in rock gardens Etc. Previously if I decided to open it up I pinched tyres usually bead and top.

2 rides have significantly had big hits and they have worked brilliantly. Reckon I have avoided 2 rear and 1 front flat so far. Currently running 20f/23r. Might go 24 in rear had it squirming a bit in a fast g-out corner (but it held and didn't burp so maybe squirm doesnt matter any more.... ).

Staunch

Eats Squid
Has anyone here running the Rimpact inserts had issues with air seeping from between the bead and the rim? I've set my rear wheel up with 2 different tyres and both times there are a few points where it will continuously release tiny, tiny bubbles from between the tyre and the rim. Enough to lose about 20 PSI in 24 hours.

I actually swapped my front tyre to the rear, as this doesn't leak on the exact same rim on the front, however now with the insert on the rear wheel it seems to having the same issue the rear tyre was.

I was thinking that potentially as the insert is up tight against the bead, it may be preventing any of the chunky/thicker sealant from being able to get in there and clog up the tiny gap?

Any ideas/tips?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Has anyone here running the Rimpact inserts had issues with air seeping from between the bead and the rim? I've set my rear wheel up with 2 different tyres and both times there are a few points where it will continuously release tiny, tiny bubbles from between the tyre and the rim. Enough to lose about 20 PSI in 24 hours.

I actually swapped my front tyre to the rear, as this doesn't leak on the exact same rim on the front, however now with the insert on the rear wheel it seems to having the same issue the rear tyre was.

I was thinking that potentially as the insert is up tight against the bead, it may be preventing any of the chunky/thicker sealant from being able to get in there and clog up the tiny gap?

Any ideas/tips?
Sounds more like a rim tape issue to me.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

Any ideas/tips?
I run Rimpact and haven't had this issue. I've run two different tyres (Maxxis and Goodyear) and not had any issue. Is the sealant off? Do you hold the wheel on its side and tip it back and forth to coat the bead once inflated?? Not sure what else could be going on

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I've used the blue Bear stuff @moorey and a couple others really rate. I do have a different tape in the front though so maybe it does have something to do with it.
Could be that there's a spot where the tape was lifted/crumpled by the tyre bead the first time you fit the Rimpact (you know how they tell you to "pull" the bead in under the insert) or similar... I just had to put some new tape on my dad's road wheels this morning because he'd managed to lift/slide/misplace the tape in one spot (I assume with tyre lever while fighting a tight bead) that meant that they'd seal up okay and seem fine in the hand but be flat by the morning - was just enough to prevent proper sealing.

I'd try replenishing the rim tape (or even just banging another layer on if it looks okay visually) - there's nothing about Rimpact that should be preventing the tyre bead from seating/sealing in the rim.

If the tape doesn't fix it, then... what's the rim? Sounds like it's rear wheel specific and tyre-agnostic, so maybe there's a little crack in the rim bed/bead or something? Al or carbon?

Staunch

Eats Squid
I run Rimpact and haven't had this issue. I've run two different tyres (Maxxis and Goodyear) and not had any issue. Is the sealant off? Do you hold the wheel on its side and tip it back and forth to coat the bead once inflated?? Not sure what else could be going on
Brand new bottle. I shook/banged/spun/harassed the crap out of the wheel after inflating

Could be that there's a spot where the tape was lifted/crumpled by the tyre bead the first time you fit the Rimpact (you know how they tell you to "pull" the bead in under the insert) or similar... I just had to put some new tape on my dad's road wheels this morning because he'd managed to lift/slide/misplace the tape in one spot (I assume with tyre lever while fighting a tight bead) that meant that they'd seal up okay and seem fine in the hand but be flat by the morning - was just enough to prevent proper sealing.

I'd try replenishing the rim tape (or even just banging another layer on if it looks okay visually) - there's nothing about Rimpact that should be preventing the tyre bead from seating/sealing in the rim.

If the tape doesn't fix it, then... what's the rim? Sounds like it's rear wheel specific and tyre-agnostic, so maybe there's a little crack in the rim bed/bead or something? Al or carbon?
That could potentially be it, it's not the easiest thing to fit without a little force. I might have to pull it all apart tomorrow and double down on the tape.

Rim is a Raceface ARC30, however I have the same rim on the front and that sealed up fine with the same tyre. AL rim, no cracks, one tiny flat spot, however it leaks from multiple areas around the rim, not just the flat spot.