Electric Vehicles etc

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yikes...

Two million liters of water evaporate in order to make one ton of lithium on these salt flats, while local farmers struggle for enough water to feed their animals. “A standard electric car uses roughly 20 kilograms of lithium; this translates to 40,000 litres of water,” research community Aerocene states. “A Tesla using an 850 kWh lithium-ion battery uses about 51 kilograms of lithium, or 110,000 litres of water, taken directly from Indigenous peoples already experiencing droughts and water shortages.”

Source: http://gerrymcgovern.newsweaver.ie/...external?email=true&a=6&p=61704430&t=32798431

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yikes...

Two million liters of water evaporate in order to make one ton of lithium on these salt flats, while local farmers struggle for enough water to feed their animals. “A standard electric car uses roughly 20 kilograms of lithium; this translates to 40,000 litres of water,” research community Aerocene states. “A Tesla using an 850 kWh lithium-ion battery uses about 51 kilograms of lithium, or 110,000 litres of water, taken directly from Indigenous peoples already experiencing droughts and water shortages.”

Source: http://gerrymcgovern.newsweaver.ie/...external?email=true&a=6&p=61704430&t=32798431
Yeah, resource extraction in dodgier parts of the world does tend to be a bit dodgy... Nuffin new there :(

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Yikes...

That would be 40000 litres of brine that is to salty to use for anything else that is evaporated on what is already a salt pan. I'm not sure it's a problem to anybody except the fossil fuel shrills.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yikes...

The debate as to whether EV are more environmentally friendly will go on and on. It depends on which environment you are talking about.
I still think the argument for EVs is better if you talk about self sufficiency for our transportation energy needs. We can create out own electricity, (how ever it is generated) but we have bugger all oil.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yikes...

In context though 40kL is half my rain water storage and maybe 1/3 of @moorey

Scotty T

Walks the walk
That would be 40000 litres of brine that is to salty to use for anything else that is evaporated on what is already a salt pan. I'm not sure it's a problem to anybody except the fossil fuel shrills.
Yeah sure but I think the point is it's a lot of water diverted from other things just so rich people can get around.

The debate as to whether EV are more environmentally friendly will go on and on. It depends on which environment you are talking about.
I still think the argument for EVs is better if you talk about self sufficiency for our transportation energy needs. We can create out own electricity, (how ever it is generated) but we have bugger all oil.
Yeah it depends on the metric you use I suppose, but all the lifecycle impact studies I've seen or heard of favour EV's.

In context though 40kL is half my rain water storage and maybe 1/3 of @moorey
According to some quick sketchy reading and calculating looking at water use for foods, chocolate appears to use 10 times more water per kilo than batteries, and electric bikes are 8-16 times less than cars. Buy the electric bike for your daily commute, and stop eating chocolate, world is saved!

goobags

Likes Dirt
Yikes...

I wish my Tesla had a 850kWh battery. Such a simple typo, surely all his other numbers are correct?

How much water does it take to provide a little of petrol? Or a tonne of coal or a kWh from coal fired generation?

Complaining about excessive use of a renewable resource to (arguably) reduce emissions seems odd. Could be looking at world food wastage or recycling wastage or all sorts of other things which would in turn highlight far more significant wastage of water but nah pick on something that is doing the world some good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I wish my Tesla had a 850kWh battery. Such a simple typo, surely all his other numbers are correct?

How much water does it take to provide a little of petrol? Or a tonne of coal or a kWh from coal fired generation?

Complaining about excessive use of a renewable resource to (arguably) reduce emissions seems odd. Could be looking at world food wastage or recycling wastage or all sorts of other things which would in turn highlight far more significant wastage of water but nah pick on something that is doing the world some good.
Other sources reckon ~60kg of lithium per 70kWh of Tesla battery so it's maybe a bit understated and definitely a typo.

He does pick on all those other things, he even picks on people for taking and posting digital photos for no good reason, with some staggering stats on what all the completely useless shit we take pictures of on our phones is doing in terms of CO2 emissions. His usual thing is about digital footprint.

I looked into the litre of petrol. Seems around 2-3 times more water than the petrol produced mainly for cooling. I'm guessing there's a fair bit of electricity involved in refining, and a fair bit of fossil fuel burnt to extract. There is absolutely no argument that petrol is worse than electric on total lifecycle, though I generally only find studies on CO2 and not including all the other environmental impacts of fossil fuels or batteries.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
One of the recent bottlenecks in computer chip supply was a drought in Taiwan a few years ago - turns out a shitonne of water is needed for the process...

Water is used in a lot of stuff, its supply and management remains a big deal, especially in Australia. Just ask anyone involved in the Murray Daring Basis Plan...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Whooshka! o_O

When these things let go they really go. Wonder if it's still cleaner than a diesel...? :p

• Wow
Reactions: PJO