New bike time - suggestions?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
@ozzybmx who is local reckons it would be too much for our local trails
Mine's 140 DVO Topaz rear and 160mm DVO Onxy front, the Onyx is a beefy fork with 37mm stanchions.
It climbs ok but descending it where it excels and for our local trail that I know you ride, Sheps, O'Hal Hill, Sturt Gorge, Craigburn, Lynton etc... its too much bike.

If you were heading out to do shuttles at Fox regularly, riding Kaiserstuhl, Kersy and doing the trails into Horsnel Gully and others like Twisted noodle and Twisted Gum into Waterfall Gully, I would say go for it.

Tranny Spur on the other hand, not far off the geo numbers of the Highlander, 4kg lighter, can do 95% of the things I can do on my Highlander BUT I wouldn't like to be doing any of the trails mentioned above nor would I like to be heading to Tassie to ride Derby, Maydena and the likes. The tyres I run on the Spur limit it a bit too but thats why I like it, its spritely bike.

The Deviate doesn't have to be built up with Minions and the likes, to be honest, I have noticed a bit more life in the old girl going to 4C Vittoria Mazzas and will swap out the rear for a Martello when I can get my hands on one.

You are more than welcome to come grab mine and take it for a ride. When its dry... I dont even ride my bikes in the wet :)

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Mine's 140 DVO Topaz rear and 160mm DVO Onxy front, the Onyx is a beefy fork with 37mm stanchions.
It climbs ok but descending it where it excels and for our local trail that I know you ride, Sheps, O'Hal Hill, Sturt Gorge, Craigburn, Lynton etc... its too much bike.

If you were heading out to do shuttles at Fox regularly, riding Kaiserstuhl, Kersy and doing the trails into Horsnel Gully and others like Twisted noodle and Twisted Gum into Waterfall Gully, I would say go for it.

Tranny Spur on the other hand, not far off the geo numbers of the Highlander, 4kg lighter, can do 95% of the things I can do on my Highlander BUT I wouldn't like to be doing any of the trails mentioned above nor would I like to be heading to Tassie to ride Derby, Maydena and the likes. The tyres I run on the Spur limit it a bit too but thats why I like it, its spritely bike.

The Deviate doesn't have to be built up with Minions and the likes, to be honest, I have noticed a bit more life in the old girl going to 4C Vittoria Mazzas and will swap out the rear for a Martello when I can get my hands on one.

You are more than welcome to come grab mine and take it for a ride. When its dry... I dont even ride my bikes in the wet :)
Thanks @ozzybmx that would be a huge help. Don’t have the funds to have multiple bikes and the Highlander appealed as a good platform to do it all. Biggest issue for me is coming off a 10yr old 26” bike any modern bike is going to feel amazing.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thanks @ozzybmx that would be a huge help. Don’t have the funds to have multiple bikes and the Highlander appealed as a good platform to do it all. Biggest issue for me is coming off a 10yr old 26” bike any modern bike is going to feel amazing.
Yes was thinking that, slackness and reach are going to be different. Also welcome to take my Spur out for a lap too, you'll certainly feel the difference between them.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
WHAT !!!! All this time I've been living a lie :(
Just go with it. I sometimes tell people that I ride bikes.

@shiny take ozzy up on the offer, and pay particular attention to the spur, that may well be the goldilocks you are looking for.

I am also happy to give you a spin on the 5.5 Definitely the perfect one bike solution for round here. It loves Derby too.

shiny

Just go with it. I sometimes tell people that I ride bikes.

@shiny take ozzy up on the offer, and pay particular attention to the spur, that may well be the goldilocks you are looking for.

I am also happy to give you a spin on the 5.5 Definitely the perfect one bike solution for round here. It loves Derby too.
Thanks @rockmoose will keep that in my mind. :) Spur is tempting except for availability but feel 120mm might limit my adventures (hope to get to Tas next year) The versatility of the Highlander is appealing. Ben from Devaite replied and reckons a lighter build would make a great trail bike but I guess he would say that as trying to sell a bike! Getting older and fatter so a bike with bit more give would be good. See how a gentle ride on @ozzybmx fleet goes, don’t want to put a mark on his bikes as he will have to find a place to hide a body ;)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trying to take the bias out of this for the Highlander.
When I'm asked about "how it rides / what's it like?" The defining feature and characteristic is the suspension action and design.

It rides just like a trail bike. The geometry isn't particularly revolutionary or leading edge.

So you're able to build and ride it as a light trail bike. BUT you'd probably be wasting its ability and benefits.

It eats chunk voraciously so you'd get drawn to more heavy duty equipment which means more weight and that ultimately will kill / mute the very thing you want as it gradually becomes a more gravity tuned bike.

As I said, I could live with it as a one bike solution but you'd just need to be very specific about your riding and set up. Otherwise you might be underwhelmed with all but it's descending ability.

Biking is always a compromise as we know, and searching for a one bike solution makes that even trickier.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Surprising - I would've thought the Highlander could be set up to be a very versatile trail bike if needed. @shiny perhaps a Druid is more in line with what you're after for SA trails if you're keen for High Pivot goodness? Having said that my Dreadnought is weird, it'll happily ride all the boring XC crap imaginable and it's only when the trails hit absolutely zero elevation that it loses interest - imo like any FS bike that doesn't have a sub 66 HA.
Or this - just get a SB5.5 / SB130 / whatever the new one is later this year. They're absolute rockets.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
So you're able to build and ride it as a light trail bike. BUT you'd probably be wasting its ability and benefits.

It eats chunk voraciously so you'd get drawn to more heavy duty equipment which means more weight and that ultimately will kill / mute the very thing you want as it gradually becomes a more gravity tuned bike.
This is very true. My tyre choices have moved to the heavier side because I found myself going faster in chunk than I was comfortable before - although I'm pretty slow to begin with.

I also have to run loads of pressure in the X2 if I don't want to run a lot of sag - which is where the chunk-eating really shines. As @The Reverend mentioned, there is quite some effort in the tuning of the bike if you're trying to hit that trail sweet spot. Less so if it's the descents you're mainly concerned about. I'd suggest a small-volume air shock to mitigate this.

I'd say if your tastes run to a relaxed climb to the top followed by a mach-chicken descent it'd be a great trail bike, but if you want a lithe and snappy climber and an even tempo up and down it might not quite hit the brief.

I could be fitter though...

shiny

Surprising - I would've thought the Highlander could be set up to be a very versatile trail bike if needed. @shiny perhaps a Druid is more in line with what you're after for SA trails if you're keen for High Pivot goodness? Having said that my Dreadnought is weird, it'll happily ride all the boring XC crap imaginable and it's only when the trails hit absolutely zero elevation that it loses interest - imo like any FS bike that doesn't have a sub 66 HA.

Or this - just get a SB5.5 / SB130 / whatever the new one is later this year. They're absolute rockets.
Druid was high on my list a year or so ago but it has a few quirks like rear axle coming loose, idler wearing out quickly and chain can jump off, chain line is designed to run/rub on the rubber protector in smaller cogs. They sell an uprated idler and a guide to remedy but really should be included. The rear axle solution is loctite and ugga duggas. Looked at the Yeti, price is getting up there. Could be an option.

I reckon the test ride on @ozzybmx Spur might provide the light bulb moment.
Hope so or confuse me more. Will see. I really want to like the Highlander but so many mixed messages!

This is very true. My tyre choices have moved to the heavier side because I found myself going faster in chunk than I was comfortable before - although I'm pretty slow to begin with.

I also have to run loads of pressure in the X2 if I don't want to run a lot of sag - which is where the chunk-eating really shines. As @The Reverend mentioned, there is quite some effort in the tuning of the bike if you're trying to hit that trail sweet spot. Less so if it's the descents you're mainly concerned about. I'd suggest a small-volume air shock to mitigate this.

I'd say if your tastes run to a relaxed climb to the top followed by a mach-chicken descent it'd be a great trail bike, but if you want a lithe and snappy climber and an even tempo up and down it might not quite hit the brief.

I could be fitter though...
My fitness is shot, I think I have been on one ride in the last 8 weeks. Combo of weather, work, family well kids weekend activities. Would run an inline shock on the Highlander if I went down that path. Pic on their gram page of some bloke racing XC on one. Could just be mad Scotsman!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Hope so or confuse me more. Will see. I really want to like the Highlander but so many mixed messages!
I'd just say it's not a definite 'no', it's a 'qualified no' from most of us. Trail tyres, 140/150 and the right tune in the shock would definitely point it in the direction you're after.

Just remember that N+1 is always an option, no matter what your wife is saying.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Just to annoy you further and keep vaguely on topic - if I lost all my bikes tomorrow and could only replace with one I'd be looking very hard at the current Sentinel. Lightweight, apparently insanely versatile and you can drop to 140mm travel or keep at 150mm, X2 out the back means you can tune it to oblivion too. Use with 160mm fork or chuck a 170mm fork on and turn it into a total sled. Similar issue to the Spur with stock though.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Just to annoy you further and keep vaguely on topic - if I lost all my bikes tomorrow and could only replace with one I'd be looking very hard at the current Sentinel. Lightweight, apparently insanely versatile and you can drop to 140mm travel or keep at 150mm, X2 out the back means you can tune it to oblivion too. Use with 160mm fork or chuck a 170mm fork on and turn it into a total sled. Similar issue to the Spur with stock though.
I wish they'd add an updated Smuggler back into the line-up. The Spur would be great, but a 150mm front/130mm rear Smuggler with geo somewhere in between the Spur and Sentinel geo would be perfection IMO. I'll have mine in matte dark metallic candy red with gloss black logos please.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is me as well.
I was chatting with @xero via PM, there was stock coming of the alloy version around June/July.

If my Banshee experiment fails I will be straight in line for a Sentinel

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I wish they'd add an updated Smuggler back into the line-up. The Spur would be great, but a 150mm front/130mm rear Smuggler with geo somewhere in between the Spur and Sentinel geo would be perfection IMO. I'll have mine in matte dark metallic candy red with gloss black logos please.
Supersports do seem to have some older Smugglers in stock:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Supersports do seem to have some older Smugglers in stock:

Yes, but my bank account does not have money in stock. ;) (I'm also a bit in-between sizes on that model, and would want longer chainstays which the updated version should definitely have because I want them... :p)

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I'm hoping someone on here grabs a Cotic Jeht at some point and gives it a whirl. Looks like a pretty good one bike solution on paper.