Living with a bike you're not sure on

PJO

in me vL comy
Everyone needs a hardtail in the shed just to remind them how nice it is to have a plush rear end.
For a cheap experiment go all Hambo and buy a Ragley Big Al frame (only $650 from Wiggle delivered), sounds like you already have a 140mm fork, borrow the wheels from the Banshee and all you need to find is a few other parts (or borrow them from the Banshee too).

edit: the Big Al frame are around the 2kg mark so you will drop around 1.5kg immediately

link1896

Mr Greenfield
* bookmarks to put me to sleep tonight *

Thanks for putting that down @beeb, theres a lot in there that really resonates and I appreciate the time it's
Fitness is not something I am able to work on with family demands at the minute - 2 very active young ones and one on the way (plus the wife has COVID so I'm sure I'll get it soon...) means I can't work on my fitness nearly as much as I'd like and honestly getting out at lunchtime doesn't exactly set my pulse racing at the minute. I've got a Kickr Snap in the garage I might need to force myself to get out again and join the Zwift crew and try to turn my legs over a bit more often

Worth noting that the tyres I'm using are Maxxis EXO, so they're about as light as Maxxis gets.

I think of all this thread, the fitness thing and making a few tweaks to the bike in the form of tyres and pressure is really what I need to look at first
A stationary trainer, a bike from hard rubbish or the tip shop are a must while in the new baby phase (and it’s #3). Good luck dude, kids are brutal. Got family to help?

Everyone’s finally sleep at 9:30pm on a week night, you can’t leave home, but you can be on the stationary trainer with headphones on getting even 30 mins a night in. Makes a huge difference.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
That might take a while at current levels of fitness...
I meant 20 bucks, need new canti pads for my under-country rig.

Seriously though on the beeb-analysis, one of my mates overbiked himself a tad, with one of those gearboxy things, and he has whinged a couple of times about going for the Enduro spec with extra weight, I believe mainly because he became less fit. His old 2014 Slash wasn't heaps lighter either.

I did about 35 all up today (in sets of 5) and it was hard after a couple of dodgy back weeks off the regular boot camp thing. I've banged on about it before, if you can force yourself to do something on the regular other than pedalling it makes bikes (esp. big ones) easier.

I have not ridden a non-motorised bike for 3 months so while I could do a bunch of pushups in the carpark before the ride I'd be cardio cooked on the first climb right now.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
* bookmarks to put me to sleep tonight *
:p

Thanks for putting that down @beeb, theres a lot in there that really resonates and I appreciate the time it's
Fitness is not something I am able to work on with family demands at the minute - 2 very active young ones and one on the way (plus the wife has COVID so I'm sure I'll get it soon...) means I can't work on my fitness nearly as much as I'd like and honestly getting out at lunchtime doesn't exactly set my pulse racing at the minute. I've got a Kickr Snap in the garage I might need to force myself to get out again and join the Zwift crew and try to turn my legs over a bit more often
Fair. I'd highly recommend getting some lights and going for some night rides if that's an option. Trainers do legs well, not so much the rest of the bod in my experience... If limited riding time is an ongoing factor in the immediate future (sounds like it), that might be a point in favour of a lighter/tauter bike. Somewhat less fun heading down, but much less suffering going up.

Worth noting that the tyres I'm using are Maxxis EXO, so they're about as light as Maxxis gets.
Looks like an Aggressor on the back, 29x2.5 WT EXO? That's 1098 grams (according to Maxxis), a Rekon Race 29x2.4 WT is 818 grams, so there's 280 grams that can be shaved, right at the outside of the wheel where rotational mass has the greatest effect, for a tyre that's not that different in grip (the main difference I notice is the lack of climbing traction of sand with the Rekon Race, and flimsier EXO casing)

beeb

I did about 35 all up today (in sets of 5) and it was hard after a couple of dodgy back weeks off the regular boot camp thing. I've banged on about it before, if you can force yourself to do something on the regular other than pedalling it makes bikes (esp. big ones) easier.
Regular push-ups are about the best thing I've found for improving real-world MTB fitness. Unfortunately I can't (feasibly) do them at the moment or my back tweaks again. Hopefully soon.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I would be lucky to do 10 atm.
I have to get my Kickr set up this week. I've put it off for months for the flimsiest of 'reasons'.
I will probably just tootle around in Watopia (??) for a bit to get the hang of it. I am ok with feeling hideous embarrassment at my woeful condition.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Looks like an Aggressor on the back, 29x2.5 WT EXO? That's 1098 grams (according to Maxxis), a Rekon Race 29x2.4 WT is 818 grams, so there's 280 grams that can be shaved, right at the outside of the wheel where rotational mass has the greatest effect, for a tyre that's not that different in grip (the main difference I notice is the lack of climbing traction of sand with the Rekon Race, and flimsier EXO casing)
Yeah 2.5 WT EXO. I've earmarked the rear tyre as a point of improvement already as I think its a bit draggy - I don't mind the tyre itself, but its too big.
I don't think a Rekon Race is going to be a good fit for the famous WA pea gravel, but I'm open to try something good on loose surfaces but with decent rolling resistance

beeb

Yeah 2.5 WT EXO. I've earmarked the rear tyre as a point of improvement already as I think its a bit draggy - I don't mind the tyre itself, but its too big.
I don't think a Rekon Race is going to be a good fit for the famous WA pea gravel, but I'm open to try something good on loose surfaces but with decent rolling resistance
Erm, unless it's very different there the Aggressor is up there with the better-rolling trail treads. Maybe a WTB Trail Boss in the Light casing might be a fraction quicker/lighter, but yeah - short of going to a semi-slick or XC file tread things aren't going to get too much quicker...

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Erm, unless it's very different there the Aggressor is up there with the better-rolling trail treads. Maybe a WTB Trail Boss in the Light casing might be a fraction quicker/lighter, but yeah - short of going to a semi-slick or XC file tread things aren't going to get too much quicker...
Yeah, and SS isn't going to cut it here!
I'll add a narrower Aggressor to my shopping cart

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I would be lucky to do 10 atm.
I have to get my Kickr set up this week. I've put it off for months for the flimsiest of 'reasons'.
I will probably just tootle around in Watopia (??) for a bit to get the hang of it. I am ok with feeling hideous embarrassment at my woeful condition.
I'm going to pootle around Grand Central Circuit in an hour or so, if you're interested?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'd be going for a tomahawk or a rock razor, I use the wtb trail boss it isn't that bad but it can be a bit slow.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fitness is not something I am able to work on with family demands at the minute - 2 very active young ones
Have to considered putting them on a leash and attaching it to your bike then riding until they are too tired?

So many Hambo mentions today.

Poor bloke is reading this forum as a guest. Commented on my Stava with a #bringbackhambo

Don't be a bunch of bully's.
I mean it.