Electric Vehicles etc

Calvin27

Eats Squid
7 stars does require r5 insulation in ceiling and r2.5 in walls, and double glazing, though double
Glazing requirements are calculated on whole house transmission calculations and not just a blanket rule.

But yes, current system isn’t perfect but it’s headed in the right direction. More effort needs to be placed on helping existing houses to improve thermal performance.
I'd argue it's headed in the wrong direction. All of the focus is on modelled results and completely misses the as built compliance side of things. There are reports from the feds, NatHERS and the like that show what is getting built is far below the 6 star standard and surveyors have no clue.

People aren't going to solve the climate crisis by going balls to the wall in building 10 star homes.
Part of the way legislation happens is to complete Regultory Impact Statements which includes the cost benefit of changes. At the moment somewhere around 7 stars is prety bang for your buck in terms of new build and most volume builders are already clsoe to that standard in design. The problem is the build quality is so terrible you could design a 10

E38 on real Alpina wheels please
Probably been posted here before but this is what I'd have:

Maybe a brera or 159 in electric thanks.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Hold up. People aren't going to solve the climate crisis by going balls to the wall in building 10 star homes. So dollar return on investment when you're building your own home is absolutely irrelevant to the bigger climate change picture. Not everyone can fork out for a Passivhaus, so are they to blame for the ongoing crisis?

The focus should be where material gains can be made, not shaming people who cant afford to spend a huge premium on their living arrangements.
I'm all good to shame people who don't think this is important enough to throw money that they have at the problem. Which is a lot of people. If they are building a brand new home, and it's more important to have luxury features than efficiency, they can go and get fucked. Soz.

It's not actually a huge premium when you are spending minimum of 3/4 a million dollars on a new home.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I'd love to put Alpina wheels on my conversion but jeez they're expensive, money better spent on the battery.
I got a quote for a set for a 325is in the late '90s, and it was thousands. Local Alpina importer was an odd chap, tried to sell me all kinds of Alpina bits and pieces while I was there.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Also to clarify, I know shaming people is futile because like the Bon-Jovi song says, it's my life. Therefore we just have to force them.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I'm all good to shame people who don't think this is important enough to throw money that they have at the problem. Which is a lot of people. If they are building a brand new home, and it's more important to have luxury features than efficiency, they can go and get fucked. Soz.

It's not actually a huge premium when you are spending minimum of 3/4 a million dollars on a new home.
nah, i think you misunderstand the order of operations and value proposition.

Most construction financing only covers whats on the contract. And you DONT want to get solar through the builder because they whack a 20-30% premium on the install or worse, you could be paying a 100% premium on the worst system available. You also dont really get to chose brand or installer. it is a huge risk to do it this way. You literally rip yourself off if you do this. Its best to do it after hand over. Some lenders you can finance things on the periphery such as landscaping or solar, but these things don't tend to improve the value of the home when the valuer is valuing the construction contract. Even if they are on the builders contract, they don't add value. Some things just don't and is how overcapitalisation occurs. Not only that you'd be lucky to find someone to give you a quote for something that you need done in 12-18 months time. This is pretty mcuh whats leading to the current builder insolvencies.

Most people still have to save while the build is going on for concreting, landscaping, letter boxes, alarms, security, etc. All of these things tend to be prioritised over solar. Personally I'd like to be able to drive my car into the garage and secure my home at hand over than put solar up, rather than spending all my money on solar and having to traipse mud into teh house every time i come home and do all the other things over the next 3 years after moving in. Its just not realistic.

The current solar incentives arent amazing either. Its still very much a privilege to be able to install solar.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
E38 on real Alpina wheels please
I'd love to put Alpina wheels on my conversion but jeez they're expensive, money better spent on the battery.
I got a quote for a set for a 325is in the late '90s, and it was thousands. Local Alpina importer was an odd chap, tried to sell me all kinds of Alpina bits and pieces while I was there.
Try cleaning them! I found Mr Alpina very accommodating when I had my E21. I was trying to buy a set of extractors and he wanted a small African country as deposit but told me primary lengths pipe diameters and sent me dimensioned photos of the header plates. A simple job over Christmas while minding the stove.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Try cleaning them! I found Mr Alpina very accommodating when I had my E21. I was trying to buy a set of extractors and he wanted a small African country as deposit but told me primary lengths pipe diameters and sent me dimensioned photos of the header plates. A simple job over Christmas while minding the stove.
He sold me the low km LSD that's in my E30. Quirky fellow but he delivered, diff looked very clean and fresh. The motor was pretty flogged by then so the diff hardly got any further use. Hopefully it can handle 600 N m.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
He sold me the low km LSD that's in my E30. Quirky fellow but he delivered, diff looked very clean and fresh. The motor was pretty flogged by then so the diff hardly got any further use. Hopefully it can handle 600 N m.
I made the header plates and dropped the manifold off to test fit before going further and discovered the ports on my ex group E car were lots bigger so the plates were redone and I had to fab up some transition pieces. That engine was incredibly well screwed together. The crank webs and counterweights for example were polished to a mirror finish. The little things.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
To get back OT, automation is the other big side of EV's, I heard a discussion on BBC news about the UN looking at guidelines for level 3. Basically what Tesla does now without hands on the wheel and looking away. The laws around that. A minefield for liability.

The scenario painted by the experts was we'll get to level 4 in the near future but never level 5. Different levels will apply to different areas and conditions. Handing over control will depend on those conditions.

When it (edit: the Model 3 I drove) worked good on the freeway in cruising conditions with no distractions like roadwork it was great. One thing the UN person said was about the system being able to detect those conditions in enough time to alert and hand back control.

A lot of the drivetrain tech has been around a long time, the speed at which the automation has developed has been much faster it seems.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To get back OT, automation is the other big side of EV's, I heard a discussion on BBC news about the UN looking at guidelines for level 3. Basically what Tesla does now without hands on the wheel and looking away. The laws around that. A minefield for liability.

The scenario painted by the experts was we'll get to level 4 in the near future but never level 5. Different levels will apply to different areas and conditions. Handing over control will depend on those conditions.

When it (edit: the Model 3 I drove) worked good on the freeway in cruising conditions with no distractions like roadwork it was great. One thing the UN person said was about the system being able to detect those conditions in enough time to alert and hand back control.

A lot of the drivetrain tech has been around a long time, the speed at which the automation has developed has been much faster it seems.
As a model 3 driver, I would suggest Elon's self-driving ambitions outstrip the cars' current capabilities albeit I have not purchased the IMHO erroneously named full self drive. Unusual line marking easily confuses the car. The actual full self driving trial cars have way more in the way of sensors and equipment I believe.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
As a model 3 driver, I would suggest Elon's self-driving ambitions outstrip the cars' current capabilities albeit I have not purchased the IMHO erroneously named full self drive. Unusual line marking easily confuses the car. The actual full self driving trial cars have way more in the way of sensors and equipment I believe.
From what I've seen the capability of full self drive is excellent and is being constantly updated via wifi as the cars report shit back to base. I think I read their updates are pushed fortnightly?

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Ford is still stuck with liability concerns around automated vehicles on public roads, I’d heard from mates inside FMC that they were unwilling to accept the liability of accidents with automated cars and were lobbying for laws to catch up with tech.

To that end, their latest area of research is delivery vans inside large logistics hubs on private property.

Easy - develop tech in cars that still require a driver. Like tesla does. Full auto will come later, why gimp yourself from innovation? Liability rest with the driver even with tesla FSD. It's not complicated.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the model 3 as given a delivery window, which then slipped 2 weeks, then jumped forward a month so its possibly next week, yet i still dont have an invoice or indeed any documentation apart from the VIN being visible in the source code. their logistics tracking and customer updates are as reliable as the FSD.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
the model 3 as given a delivery window, which then slipped 2 weeks, then jumped forward a month so its possibly next week, yet i still dont have an invoice or indeed any documentation apart from the VIN being visible in the source code. their logistics tracking and customer updates are as reliable as the FSD.
My mate in NZ's has a model Y on the way. His delivery date went from Nov - Dec 2022 to August 15.

He's been told the ships name, and is watching the ship slowly motoring along past PNG on its way to Noumea.

I love how the tesla web portal says "please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery" like non payment is an option.