Any Zwifters out there?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Finished todays ride and it had a selection of screenshots for me to pick through, hmmm... update stuff.

Pace Partners menu too with current positioning.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Finished todays ride and it had a selection of screenshots for me to pick through, hmmm... update stuff.

Pace Partners menu too with current positioning.

I see Zwift Academy is coming up. Any burners going to get into it this year?

ausdb

Being who he is
Considering my recent efforts, I'm thinking about dipping my toes in the smart trainer waters. I've seen a cycleops h2 for sale for $600, would this be a good starting point? I've got an under utilised roadie that I've been thinking of selling that could go on it.

ozzybmx

Considering my recent efforts, I'm thinking about dipping my toes in the smart trainer waters. I've seen a cycleops h2 for sale for $600, would this be a good starting point? I've got an under utilised roadie that I've been thinking of selling that could go on it.
Do it, they are good for when you are short of time, shit weather, injured and as a training tool.

Cycleops changed their name to Saris and launched the H3 smart trainer. Rockmoose bought one and posted good things so I bought one too.

They can be bought on sale for $1000 at Pushys.

No idea about the earlier Cycleops models, also look out for second-hand Wahoo trainers, they would be about the best bet for second-hand.

ausdb

Being who he is
Do it, they are good for when you are short of time, shit weather, injured and as a training tool.

They can be bought on sale for $1000 at Pushys.
Even less at the moment!
I can't see wifey being happy with me going out on the roadie by myself for late night training sessions, I think I might get this over the line.

ozzybmx

I'll beg for forgiveness when it arrives. Now to find a cheap laptop to use out in the shed.
Have a read back, the smart trainer is just the first piece of the puzzle.

If you are looking to go simple and effective from kick off, I would go straight to an Apple TV box for $200 and cast to an old TV.

My quest to run Zwift in true 4K with crisp graphics on a 40" TV has been a minefield of losing rides, bomb outs and freezes.

Got it sorted now but it was an expensive headache.

The Apple TV box would have been a lot easier.

ausdb

Being who he is
Have a read back, the smart trainer is just the first piece of the puzzle.
You read my mind, currently at page 12 :)

If you are looking to go simple and effective from kick off, I would go straight to an Apple TV box for $200 and cast to an old TV.
My quest to run Zwift in true 4K with crisp graphics on a 40" TV has been a minefield of losing rides, bomb outs and freezes.
Got it sorted now but it was an expensive headache.
The Apple TV box would have been a lot easier.
I havent really thought much about a big TV was thinking of a more of a portable setup but will consider it.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
You read my mind, currently at page 12 :)

I havent really thought much about a big TV was thinking of a more of a portable setup but will consider it.
I started with a tablet. It got me going, but is now no longer supported. As Billy said, the constant faffery and dropouts were doing my head in. Splurged on an apple tv on sale, and a cheap mid size computer monitor. It was a refreshing, life saving revelation.

It. Just. Works.

ozzybmx

Have a look on Scumtree for a monitor or TV. Good cheap screens there which are perfect for a Zwift setup.

You will also find that a 'setup' is not really portable. The Saris trainer is about 25kg in weight, you have your fan, the bike and the mat it sits on. I even made a stand for the front wheel and removed it completely.
The more permanent and ease of use your trainer is, the thought of using it is an easier decision.
I do 12hr days, with handover and travel, I am out of the house for 15hrs on a dayshift.
Getting home at 19:30 and flicking 1 switch turns the trainer, TV, fan and Aircon on. Makes the decision to do a short trainer ride a lot easier. If there was any setup or faffing around, I wouldn't bother.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Does anyone do much racing? I'm a sucker for the WTRL Team Time Trials each week. Fun to get together with some friends and slog it out.

I'm must admit these days about 60-70% of my riding is on zwift. With kids sport etc I'm lucky to get out for a weekend ride outside...

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Does anyone do much racing? I'm a sucker for the WTRL Team Time Trials each week. Fun to get together with some friends and slog it out.

I'm must admit these days about 60-70% of my riding is on zwift. With kids sport etc I'm lucky to get out for a weekend ride outside...
I only started 2-3 months ago but did a few of the shorter crit races on a whim. They're certainly a good workout when, like me, you're on the lower half of the race category (B).

I've been trying to punch out a workout, short race or a B pace partner ride in the arvos, so aiming to do 4 zwifts or so per week. Been a bit of sickness through the house lately so I've been a bit off.

Haven't heard of the WTRL. Do you need to arrange a team of 4 beforehand?

Why the heck aren't you in the 'Rotorburn' zwift club? @Mattyp is the overlord and @rockmoose is his humble servant.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Haven't heard of the WTRL. Do you need to arrange a team of 4 beforehand?

Why the heck aren't you in the 'Rotorburn' zwift club? @Mattyp is the overlord and @rockmoose is his humble servant.
I didn't realise there was one! (poor form I know). Applied to join.

Watch the video on this info page here.

The trick is to join a zwift club/group with similar abilities. Theres a few different classes depending on abilites. You'd be probably in the latte group (at least initially) which is a mixture of mid-low Bs and high Cs. The next class up is frappe which is a mixture of strong Bs and As.