Chasing chainring advice

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
Bike has a Hope Hoops pro 4 148 rear hub and is currently running a sram blackbox 6mm offset chainring. 12 speed cassette on the rear. Is that right? Or should it be running a 3mm owing to the boost hub? I do notice a little chain rub on the cassette in some gears... which Ive read could be due to that?

From what I understand the bike may not have had said boost setup from stock. The rear wheel has been replaced in its entirety recently, as has the cassette. The previous owner just hadnt gotten around to doing the cassette due to difficulty in finding stock.

Just need to replace it and dont know whether to replace it with the same one, or get a 3mm.

Would also appreciate some suggestions as to brands/model chainrings that are good.

Thanks

Attachments

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Is that you Hambo ? ;)

The bike was a 148 boost bike from factory according to specs.

If the gears are changing ok and everything is straight (hanger and derailleur) I wouldn't worry about some rub.

If you need to replace the chainring, a 3mm may be better but dont go changing it for no good reason.

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
yeah, given that the chain and cassette are both new, I think I'll slap a new chainring on. As long as 3mm is whats normall required, thats what ill get.

just have to sort out what brand (if not sram) and where from... oh and I noticed they come in oval now too.

Thanks mate :)

And uhhh, Hambo?

ozzybmx

And uhhh, Hambo?
Dont worry about it, you'll work it out later :p

The carbon cranks are a very nice upgrade to the standard cranks that were on there, they just happen to be non boost but no big deal. Any Boost ring will do and someone here will have a chainring that will do without spending ~$100 on one.

If its not causing shifting issues, I really wouldn't give it too much thought. Spend your extra cash on a decent helmet, knees, elbows etc...

Chamelion

Likes Dirt

ozzybmx

I'd be looking at getting a chain checker and swapping it at 0.75mm, the chainring wears to the chain, a new chain on a worn ring will cause it to jump and grab, similar to a worn chain on a new ring.

Look after the chain and the rest of the drivetrain will 'kinda' look after itself.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Is that you Hambo ? ;)
Haha, I can assure you he's not Hambo...

That's a nice wheel to have on the bike though, looks like a bargain has been scored.
Grab a chain checker and check that first, if the chain is worn then start looking at the other components.
There are also plenty of 3rd party SRAM direct mount compatible chainrings around, occasionally places like Chain Reaction offload their stock cheap, otherwise ozzybmx's suggestion is a good one.

ozzybmx

I'm still in the dark about hambo.

Thanks for the advice :)
Hambo used to start a new thread here for every question... and he had lots of questions. Even typing and asking a question or starting a thread that may have taken 3-5 minutes to type, only for someone to go to google and answer it in 20 seconds.

So when you seen 'Hambo'd it' or 'G00Gl3' its a throwback to the days where we used to G00Gl3 it for him.

Minlak

custom titis
I'm still in the dark about hambo.
So essentially every so often a member stands out for all the wrong reasons - And that person shall be referred to whenever possible unitl a new member steps up and takes the mantle - Hambo > Chopsticks > Dingo etc

nathanm

Eats Squid
I don't get all the hate on Hambo. Yeah he could have just googled it but Farkin used to be a forum where you could ask dumb questions and get a quick easy to understand response from several members, before it dissolved into some ridiculous off topic conversation.

Unfortunately there was a member and his posse that used that love nothing more than hang shit and hate on anyone who they deemed to have an inferior level of knowledge to themselves and gang up on them like primary school bullies until they left the forum. For the love of god don't search for deathracks, but do search up help my seatpost is stuck (I think it was)

But back to the point i've got a couple of 3mm SRAM chainrings, 28 and 32t I think that I would let go for $20 posted so if you did want to swap our chainrings I'd be happy to help as would many others.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
If you don't get care about weight get a steel chain ring. The SRAM direct mount ones can be picked up online for $30 plus post, will last forever if you change the chain at the right time.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I don't get all the hate on Hambo. Yeah he could have just googled it but Farkin used to be a forum where you could ask dumb questions and get a quick easy to understand response from several members, before it dissolved into some ridiculous off topic conversation.

Unfortunately there was a member and his posse that used that love nothing more than hang shit and hate on anyone who they deemed to have an inferior level of knowledge to themselves and gang up on them like primary school bullies until they left the forum. For the love of god don't search for deathracks, but do search up help my seatpost is stuck (I think it was)
Hambo was harmless. Until you mentioned religion and he went postal. Particularly on two members who were quite courageous in sharing their stance on religion. I'm not religious, but I couldn't stand back and watch the attack. And then if he'd played by the rules after he'd had his dummy spit, he'd probably still be here today.

Deathrack Dude was a douche. It's not for me to comment on his product, but his marketing and general attitude towards any one who questioned him was sub-par. The "I'll just post this here" picture was petty at best.

Last edited:

nathanm

Eats Squid
Hambo was harmless. Until you mentioned religion and he went postal. Particularly on two members who were quite courageous in sharing their stance on religion. I'm not religious, but I couldn't stand back and watch the attack.
That conversation I did not see and certainly would change my opinion as any type of discrimination should not be tolerated, other than discrimination against GMW utes and I'd imagine he's regretting that purchasing decision about now

Deathrack Dude was a douche. It's not for me to comment on his product, but his marketing and general attitude towards any one who questioned him was sub-par.
I think he was well within his rights to defend himself and his product here and he was unnecessarily attacked and pretty much told his product was going to kill people, speed up global warming and was responsible for the extinction of the Tasmanian Tiger. Did he go to far, absolutely, but he was at least willing to back up what he said in person, unlike certain members.

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
Right right.. I'm pretty confident that I'm not a hambo. I have plenty of questions, sure, but I do try to hit up google first. Hence this thread.. I had already done as much as I could, and I was pretty sure I was meant to have 3mm, but as I have 6 on there now, I figured checking was a good idea. :)

tldr I feel pretty justified in the threads I've made recently.

PS: I joined up when this was farkin.net... how long ago did it change?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Right right.. I'm pretty confident that I'm not a hambo. I have plenty of questions, sure, but I do try to hit up google first. Hence this thread.. I had already done as much as I could, and I was pretty sure I was meant to have 3mm, but as I have 6 on there now, I figured checking was a good idea. :)

tldr I feel pretty justified in the threads I've made recently.

PS: I joined up when this was farkin.net... how long ago did it change?
Records are a little vague however the consensus is that is was some time between the Bronze Age and the Iron Age.