Chasing chainring advice

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Right right.. I'm pretty confident that I'm not a hambo. I have plenty of questions, sure, but I do try to hit up google first. Hence this thread.. I had already done as much as I could, and I was pretty sure I was meant to have 3mm, but as I have 6 on there now, I figured checking was a good idea. :)

tldr I feel pretty justified in the threads I've made recently.

PS: I joined up when this was farkin.net... how long ago did it change?
Nah, you're doing fine. It's when you ask a basic question, get an answer, argue that it's wrong, then 5 days later post your 'discovery' about how you figured it out that things get touchy.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
If you don't get care about weight get a steel chain ring. The SRAM direct mount ones can be picked up online for $30 plus post, will last forever if you change the chain at the right time.
"The steel NX chainring is so heavy! Aluminum GX is 40 percent lighter!"
Sounds heavy until you realise it's 80g vs 140g, so 60g lighter and less durable for twice the price.
I also like how thin the spokes are on the steel Sram chainrings, they look cool.
I downgraded to NX when the GX was worn out after two years.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Nah, you're doing fine. It's when you ask a basic question, get an answer, argue that it's wrong, then 5 days later post your 'discovery' ...
...for something you're not actually planning on doing anyway. Then start recycling the same second hand information as 'advice' to newbies.

ie: Would randomly ask something like "What makes people think the Fox X2 is such a good shock?", get a broadly generic response, then on the same day in another thread "I've read good things about the Fox X2, you should buy one of them!". It was the should buy recommendations that really annoyed me for something he'd never even tried. Different story if it was "Have you looked at a Fox X2, it sounds like it might be a good match for what you're looking for?", but would just advise something (like a Fox X2) that might be prone to reliability issues or just not be a good match for the application at all instead.

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
From the photo on your original post you'll be after a direct mount chain ring, going with the boost offset i.e. 3mm will also give you a little bit more clearance between the chain ring and the chain stay (which does look a tad close in the first photo).

As ozzybmx mentioned if it's not running terrible at the moment then keep an eye out for stuff that's on sale over the next few months and change out everything in one go once the current chain gets beyond 0.75mm wear.

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
From the photo on your original post you'll be after a direct mount chain ring, going with the boost offset i.e. 3mm will also give you a little bit more clearance between the chain ring and the chain stay (which does look a tad close in the first photo).

As ozzybmx mentioned if it's not running terrible at the moment then keep an eye out for stuff that's on sale over the next few months and change out everything in one go once the current chain gets beyond 0.75mm wear.
The chain and cassette are both very close to new, according to the previous owner. Which is why I'm considering changing the chainring now.

The NX option sounds like the go.. I really don't care about 60 grams or whatever.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Im going to assume that this is the bugger I need... now to find stock somewhere, anywhere. Might not be as fancy as what I have on now, but I like the price!

SRAM Eagle X-Sync 2 ST Direct Mount 3mm Offset Boost Chainring Black (pushys.com.au)
32 tooth here:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Grab yourself a chain checker too... faak me, how to charge for a punched out bit of steel.

Time to learn about overseas bike shops.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Im sure its in spec
I've got at least 1 of those shaped ones from a different brand. They must print them out by the squillion and brand them as whatever.

Probably as much chance of being right or wrong as the others have.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Just adding to the good advice already provided…

I’d recommend replacing Eagle chains at 0.5% elongation rather than 0.75% to extend the life of the relatively expensive cassettes. Get a set of chain link pliers before a wear gauge if budget constrained. When you remove the chain for cleaning, you can use a tape measure to determine elongation more accurately (chain pitch is 1/2”, 100 links on a new chain is 50” / 1270mm, 1276mm is 0.5%). In my experience the X01 chain is worth the extra expense if you afford it. Getting 2 or more chains (of any compatible type) and alternating them will also further extend the life of cassettes and chainrings.

There are enough regular sales and discount codes from the online stores that you shouldn’t need to pay full price for any consumables. Check the bargain buys and discount code threads here for current deals.

And hi Hambo… hope U R Ok.