Electric Vehicles etc

goobags

Likes Dirt
Now here's some thinking that's along the lines of what I've been thinking about EVs... basically most of the current crop of EVs are potentially too much of a handful for your average driver.
I’ll take my Model 3 SR+ in the wet over any RWD dial cab Ute with all terrains on it. Even with traction and stability control the old Amarok could step the back out with ease to the point of no return

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ll take my Model 3 SR+ in the wet over any RWD dial cab Ute with all terrains on it. Even with traction and stability control the old Amarok could step the back out with ease to the point of no return

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's actually very good in low traction environments isn't it, very predictable.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Now here's some thinking that's along the lines of what I've been thinking about EVs... basically most of the current crop of EVs are potentially too much of a handful for your average driver.
Yep. I’ve a low 5 seconds IEC car. Things happen very quickly, not only for 0-100 but beyond 100 Km/h

No way should the “average” driver be thrown into this situation. Add in poor weather, poor road conditions, lack of sleep and lack of concentration, and it’s a potentially deadly recipe.

And the cherry on top is masses of lithium ion cells that love to catch on fire along for the ride.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yep. I’ve a low 5 seconds IEC car. Things happen very quickly, not only for 0-100 but beyond 100 Km/h

No way should the “average” driver be thrown into this situation. Add in poor weather, poor road conditions, lack of sleep and lack of concentration, and it’s a potentially deadly recipe.

And the cherry on top is masses of lithium ion cells that love to catch on fire along for the ride.
Cos petrol doesn't catch fire?

Passat R and Model 3 SR are similar size, speed and price. I've seen plenty of average (and below) drivers in fast cars, they are very entertaining when captured on YouTube or they are your bogan neighbour limping home after a failed burnout session.

bogan-wheel.jpg

You can be the one that tries to convince people they need a special licence for a fast powerful car, good luck! I don't disagree, but I don't see it happening either. If you're not being a fuckwit, you're unlikely to crash due to the car being too powerful.

Also torque vectoring in EV compared to traction control for ICE is also a completely different and much more capable animal as mentioned by @goobags, given the same power to the wheels, the EV has much better traction.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
took the car out today, said i had 67% charge left. looked up trip history = 93km since last charge (to 100%). expected range left, 293km. my spidey maths sense says someones wrong. night need to run it down lower sometime top get a proper feel for what full range is

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Cos petrol doesn't catch fire?

Passat R and Model 3 SR are similar size, speed and price. I've seen plenty of average (and below) drivers in fast cars, they are very entertaining when captured on YouTube or they are your bogan neighbour limping home after a failed burnout session.

View attachment 392620

You can be the one that tries to convince people they need a special licence for a fast powerful car, good luck! I don't disagree, but I don't see it happening either. If you're not being a fuckwit, you're unlikely to crash due to the car being too powerful.

Also torque vectoring in EV compared to traction control for ICE is also a completely different and much more capable animal as mentioned by @goobags, given the same power to the wheels, the EV has much better traction.
Does forged series mean they copied the casting??????

I love taking people out in the track car, plenty have much faster 0-100kph but have no idea that a humble little fwd hatch can generate such lateral g forces.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
took the car out today, said i had 67% charge left. looked up trip history = 93km since last charge (to 100%). expected range left, 293km. my spidey maths sense says someones wrong. night need to run it down lower sometime top get a proper feel for what full range is
Huge variables in the range game, speed is no 1 - i.e. slower = more range, but terrain, wind, road conditions (makes a surprisingly large difference), rain, tyre pressure, weight of cargo etc etc all factors - having said that if you drive similar routes regularly most of those variables are similar if not the same.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Huge variables in the range game, speed is no 1 - i.e. slower = more range, but terrain, wind, road conditions (makes a surprisingly large difference), rain, tyre pressure, weight of cargo etc etc all factors - having said that if you drive similar routes regularly most of those variables are similar if not the same.
topped it up again last week, now it says distance since last charge - 73km, 11Kw used (which matches uyp with the wh/km) , yet only shows 63% charge left. 11KW is under 20% used, not nearly 40, so going to let it go for a bit and see how it runs down before i recharge it before we do a road trip to albury in a couple of weeks

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Plugged the car in to a nrma charger which turned out to be faulty, only to find the car can no longer be charged when we got home. The car kept on making clicking noise as if it can't lock the charger. Called the roadside assistance, and the nrma guy said he has never dealt with EV car before and has no idea what's wrong. Called a tow truck to tow the car to a dealership who said new parts are needed and they are 3 weeks away.

Moral of the story:
1. Public chargers can wreck your EV car. Watch out. The car could still be charged before we left home.
2. NRMA is useless when it comes to EV car.
3. Parts take ages to arrive and don't expect dealership to stock them.
4. Most dealerships are super busy. Lucky the dealer that I bought the car from can squeeze work in between other people services. I phoned up 5 dealers and the earliest they can book me in is mid October. Madness.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Plugged the car in to a nrma charger which turned out to be faulty, only to find the car can no longer be charged when we got home. The car kept on making clicking noise as if it can't lock the charger. Called the roadside assistance, and the nrma guy said he has never dealt with EV car before and has no idea what's wrong. Called a tow truck to tow the car to a dealership who said new parts are needed and they are 3 weeks away.

Moral of the story:
1. Public chargers can wreck your EV car. Watch out. The car could still be charged before we left home.
2. NRMA is useless when it comes to EV car.
3. Parts take ages to arrive and don't expect dealership to stock them.
4. Most dealerships are super busy. Lucky the dealer that I bought the car from can squeeze work in between other people services. I phoned up 5 dealers and the earliest they can book me in is mid October. Madness.
Point 2-4 also apply to ICE cars….

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It is an interesting point though. Independent servicing will probably die out with ICE. Even now Tesla won't supply parts outside their network of chosen ones and some of the diagnostics I see on the Web by owners is likely more than a small shop will be prepared to do and let's not forget that routine maintenance is a small percentage of what is now required.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
It is an interesting point though. Independent servicing will probably die out with ICE. Even now Tesla won't supply parts outside their network of chosen ones and some of the diagnostics I see on the Web by owners is likely more than a small shop will be prepared to do and let's not forget that routine maintenance is a small percentage of what is now required.
I expect that to change. The right to repair movement is strong and i dont see people who are being gently enforced into an electric future being too happy with choice of repairer being stripped away.

Even Apple are now providing parts and toold to complete repairs o their phones - kicker being that for the average joe, its still cheaper to have apple to it for you. Again i expect that to change with time and amazon dupes of the gear/parts.