Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

Keeps on digging

This was interesting. Unsurprising it was an LNP government that kicked it off with massive tax breaks for the gas companies.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So what are they replacing it with? Wind power? I'd take solar over wind any day of the week.

Are they actually doing something about the ancient grid so that solar feed in isn't just a fucking joke?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
They should invest back into green energy, greedy pricks.
do you have superannuation? if you do, chances are you're benefiting financially from all this.

remember publicly listed companies have a responsibility to their shareholders. Traditionally that means pump the dividend above all else. You could argue that in todays world not reinvesting into green is not in the long term best interests of shareholders, but AFAIK there isn't any objective empirical data that one could use to show why that's the case form a $ perspective.

Flow-Rider

Burner
do you have superannuation? if you do, chances are you're benefiting financially from all this.

remember publicly listed companies have a responsibility to their shareholders. Traditionally that means pump the dividend above all else. You could argue that in todays world not reinvesting into green is not in the long term best interests of shareholders, but AFAIK there isn't any objective empirical data that one could use to show why that's the case form a $ perspective.
I actually have fuckall super, most of it has been absconded by crooks years ago, and then I worked for myself for a long time and never paid any. Lots of people won't invest in unethical companies these days. I think there's more to life than just wealth and money at the expense of the environment.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
But more seriously, ethical (or at least fossil fuel avoidant...) super funds are pretty standard these days.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I actually have fuckall super, most of it has been absconded by crooks years ago, and then I worked for myself for a long time and never paid any. Lots of people won't invest in unethical companies these days. I think there's more to life than just wealth and money at the expense of the environment.
That sucks.

Lots of people don't invest in unethical companies, true. However vast majority of us do through our super. To not invest in unethical companies through your super, you have to be active in your investment allocations. Most people don't even know they can make such changes or feel unqualified to make the changes.

While there's more to life than wealth, i doubt anyone would say no to wealth firstly and secondly as to wealth at the expense of the environment, see my first point about people not knowing shit about super.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
yes but on a returns basis still being out performed from last check. Getting better but still early days. The needle will move eventually though and the everyone will follow suit
Banks starting to decline funding for fossil projects is going to snowball a lot of that movement i suspect.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Banks starting to decline funding for fossil projects is going to snowball a lot of that movement i suspect.
yeah thats the sort of change thats required (at the institutional level). But the snowball may not be all positive in the short to medium term, just like early shuttering of coal powerplants is likley to lead to increased energy costs.