What's my new frame going to be?

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I commented recently on this thread that I Was looking for a new frame that I don't really need. Having never riden a 27.5 wheeled bike before I thought I would try one when I was in Moab a week ago.
I hired a Transition Scout for a couple of days.
What a blast! I am 172 cms and have stuck with 29ers since 2016 and struggle a bit.
Maybe it's a placebo effect but I am hooked .
I was told no frames were available through the shops and I should contact Transition.
They have 1 alloy $2,199, and 3 carbon, $3699, frames in a medium. US $. Don't want carbon and can't stomach carbon prices.
Summit in Melbourne has a built up medium in stock at $6,499 but spec is average at best.
Banshee Spitfire frames are also available but haven't ridden one.
Anyone with any experience with a Scout or Transition generally ?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I commented recently on this thread that I Was looking for a new frame that I don't really need. Having never riden a 27.5 wheeled bike before I thought I would try one when I was in Moab a week ago.
What a blast! I am 172 cms and have stuck with 29ers since 2016 and struggle a bit.
I was told no frames were available through the shops and I should contact Transition.
They have 1 alloy $2,199, and 3 carbon, $3699, frames in a medium. US $. Don't want carbon and can't stomach carbon prices.
Summit in Melbourne has a built up medium in stock at $6,499 but spec is average at best.
I seem to remember someone on here got a frame from Summit that was a full build and they just stripped it down for them. Might be worth sending them a message.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I seem to remember someone on here got a frame from Summit that was a full build and they just stripped it down for them. Might be worth sending them a message.
That was me, it was arranged by Supersports (@xero).

And yeah, Trannys are great bikes. Super solid frames but don't ride heavy (which is a surprise given some of the frame weights). I've not ridden a Scout but @fjohn860's Smuggler is going strong and my Sentinel was great (just a little too much bike for me). I'd happily buy another.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Loved my alloy Sentinel. Transition generally make bikes with riders in mind and do things like external rear brake line, threaded bb and other sensible choices while also delivering great geometry.
The scout looks like a really versatile bike

xero

Supersports
Shoot us an email at Supersports ... we can do a call around and see if any dealers have any Frame alone left... One thing to consider with our NX builds ie the one at Summit .. Other then the NX drive train, our NX builds run what you would expect to see components wise ( Brakes / Suspension etc ) on our "competitions" GX builds .. And on a side note, that one at Summit is pretty sweet buying as the tanking Aussie dollar / factory / covid / freight price increases have finally caught up with us.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
As mention a few times above, great bikes. I've had my Alloy Smuggler since the start of 2019 (and a 2011 TR450 since 2011). Can't fault them in any way. Would 100% recommend a Transition.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm still stuck here with nothing really jumping at me as the perfect spider replacement. There's big shoes to fill here, the spider is excellent at what it does

Poodle has offered me his tranny. I dig the colour and reports are great on them. Travel is getting real close to my tracer though and I'm worried it might blur the lines a bit and see me on the tracer less. Also I much prefer a shock more horizontal than vertical - don't ask me to rationalise this, it's not based on anything factual but it's a real thing in my head.

I'm in comms with that Whyte s120 too. I'm mad keen on a t130 but there's nothing around and I'm wondering if close enough is in fact good enough. It ticks all the boxes but it's a 29er and I won't be able to use my old 275 wheels I also think I'd want to swap out the sids for a pike at some point.

And I'm also a little commencal curious. I don't mind the meta tr, could also work I think. Bad idea? There's one in Ballarat I could go buy tomorrow if I was properly motivated...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Tracer is 160mm rear...my tranny (being an older one) is 125mm rear. It's not an xc bike but you could build it up a lot lighter than I have pretty easily.

I can't compare to the tracer for you, but as a comparison to some of my other bikes...

It is significantly more responsive than my current nomad, but that isn't a valid comparison. The nomad is a plough. The tranny is a lot more comfortable (less bounce) on trail than my nuke proof, with only a little more travel rear (25mm) and front (10mm) and almost as maneuverable on dirt jump type riding. I mostly ride smoother trails on it which it does well. I have had a couple of xc/am/trail rides on it and had no troubles grinding up climbs. When it gets into rocky/eroded chunder it does bounce around a bit and feels the chatter but that is why I have the nomad.

THe main thing that makes me hesitant to sell it is how laterally stiff the rear end is. It is very surprising. I often find the back end of my bikes gets a bit twisty from all of the maxed out gnar fuelled g-forces i power into them. Being a super rad epic dude is like that though and I thought I would just have to live with it...well the tranny changed that misconception.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Tracer is 160mm rear...my tranny (being an older one) is 125mm rear. It's not an xc bike but you could build it up a lot lighter than I have pretty easily.

I can't compare to the tracer for you, but as a comparison to some of my other bikes...

It is significantly more responsive than my current nomad, but that isn't a valid comparison. The nomad is a plough. The tranny is a lot more comfortable (less bounce) on trail than my nuke proof, with only a little more travel rear (25mm) and front (10mm) and almost as maneuverable on dirt jump type riding. I mostly ride smoother trails on it which it does well. I have had a couple of xc/am/trail rides on it and had no troubles grinding up climbs. When it gets into rocky/eroded chunder it does bounce around a bit and feels the chatter but that is why I have the nomad.

THe main thing that makes me hesitant to sell it is how laterally stiff the rear end is. It is very surprising. I often find the back end of my bikes gets a bit twisty from all of the maxed out gnar fuelled g-forces i power into them. Being a super rad epic dude is like that though and I thought I would just have to live with it...well the tranny changed that misconception.
Ahhhh, I had it my head the tranny was a 140mm. 125 is definitely a lot closer to what I was after from an "all day" type bike

I might have to hunt up some info on it again, I get the impression I was reading the wrong things. Back to the drawing board!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ahhhh, I had it my head the tranny was a 140mm. 125 is definitely a lot closer to what I was after from an "all day" type bike

I might have to hunt up some info on it again, I get the impression I was reading the wrong things. Back to the drawing board!

Oh it's definitely an all day ride. I've done some long days on it, mostly laps of my treacherous jump lines...pushing to doom envelope closer to the edge every time!