What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Will head out for a quick leg loosener later, but had another crack at the cable management, light and remote mount.

Hate the rubber band mounting approach for the Gloworm remote so took an old seatpost reflector mount and attached it to the base of an old remote. Seems sturdier now and easy take on and off with the bolt on mount.

DA43C510-A74F-4298-9EBC-ED486550CF15.jpeg

6C98C1EB-859C-4DC9-80D1-021E1BA0CD3A.jpeg

Going back to a single light up front so going to just use the standard Gloworm mount. I like managing the cables to they don’t get in the way of the lights, so came up with a smaller version of the original which keeps everything tucked away.

Before:
EDC91081-0B6C-4394-9DD4-2E66C8A9B086.jpeg

After:

22815592-FD4F-4F22-9A37-409B4C948356.jpeg

Also swapped the rear shock back from XFusion to Rock Shox. RS is too heavy on compression and the XF is a bit quick on rebound so might see if I can get one of them tweaked when their next due for a service.

Attachments

Jpez

Down on the left!
We’ll I spent a good few minutes making those weird gasping noises. Thought my ribs were toast but they’re fine. But shoulder took most of the impact from a 2m drop onto rock but I’m pretty sure it’s not broken. Couldn’t get my bike on or off the rack though. I’ll see how it goes over the next few days but suspect it’s just severely bruised. Split my forehead open somehow too.
As I’m lying there trying to get my breath I notice my mates bike has dropped its chain.
When he went to grab it realised it ripped the whole rear mech off just before I did a super man impression.
It was the kangaroos fault. 110 on the Calder a roo jumps out and I had no choice but to drive over old skip. Not much damage to the bumper which had just been replaced from the last too I hit! I should have have known then it was a bad ju ju omen and turned straight around!!
Sorry long one.

So what I thought was just sore shoulder and rib cage turned out to actually be a blown spleen and broken ribs x 3. The sore left shoulder is actually a symptom of a ruptured spleen apparently. So anyway after I crashed I pulled myself together and gingerly rolled down the hill and drove the two hours home.
Sat around the next day feeling pretty crap and light headed. Started napping and tried to go to the toilet and woke up on the floor. Must have passed out. I thought I was light headed because of an anelgesic my missus gave me for her restless legs.
So about 5pm she gets home says I look like shit. I did. Finally I agreed to present at the local hospital and hearing my story rushed me in and did a 2 second ultra sound to confirm their hunch and called an ambo for the nearest trauma center. On the way there the Ambos were astounded that I had rolled back down, drove home, walked in on my own two feet and that I’d sat at home like a dickhead bleeding out for a day and a half.
So straight into emergency, past the ramped ambos that some had been waiting there for 5-6 hours propping up walls with their patients after a quick ct scan into surgery. By this stage I was in full agony mode with off the scale pain. Pumped me full of Ketamine then off to surgery.
Full splenectomy. They said they saved a tiny bit so who know it could grow back a little and refunction.
Next two days was a weird trip of special K dreams and visions and much pain and slightly grateful I didn’t die for my stubborn refusal to go to a doctor sooner.
So yeah. Couple months off work, same for bike, TranNZ highly doubtful.
My memory of the Crash was knowing I didn’t have the speed to send the drop and figure I got I’d roll it which is fine I’d you are 8 inches to the right. The line I rolled has a big stick uppy rock a foot below that. I remember seeing the fork compress and then tumbling and landing on the slab sideways below with the biggest impact I’ve ever felt.
Somewhere I must have landed on the stem and the rest is history.
Ah well. That’s the way it goes.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Sorry long one.

So what I thought was just sore shoulder and rib cage turned out to actually be a blown spleen and broken ribs x 3. The sore left shoulder is actually a symptom of a ruptured spleen apparently. So anyway after crashed I pulled myself together and gingerly rolled down the hill and drove home.
sat around the next day feeling pretty crap and light headed. Started napping and tried to go to the toilet and woke up on the floor. Must have passed out. I thought I was light headed because of an anelgesic my missus gave me for her restless legs.
so about 5pm she gets home says I look like shit. I did. Finally I agreed to present at the local hospital and hearing my story rushed me in and did a 2 second ultra sound to confirm their hunch and called an ambo for the nearest trauma center. On the way there they were astounded that I had drove home two hours, walked in on my own two feet and that I’d sat at home like a dickhead bleeding out for a day and a half.
So straight into emergency, past the ramped ambos that some had been waiting there for 5-6 hours propping up walls with their patients after a quick ct scan into surgery. By this stage I was in full agony mode with off the scale pain. Pumped me full of Ketamine then off to surgery.
Full splenectomy. They said they saved a tiny bit so who know it could grow back a little and refunction.
Next two days was a weird trip of special K dreams and visions and much pain and slightly grateful I didn’t die for my stubborn refusal to go to a doctor sooner.
My memory of the Crash was knowing I didn’t have the speed to send the drop and figure I got I’d roll it which is fine I’d you a 8 inches to the right. The line I rolled has a big stick uppy rock a foot below that. I remember the seeing the front fork compress and then tumbling and landing on the slab sideways below with the biggest impact I’ve ever felt. Somewhere I must have landed on the stem and the rest is history.
ah well. That’s the way it goes.
I don't normally respond to these sort of threads because there is literally nothing useful I can add. But for what it's worth, healing vibes your way. 'there but for the grace of God go I...'

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Damn dude. It’s amazing what being in shock can get us through in the short term but the reality that hits after the comedown can be stark.

Glad your missus found you when she did, hope you make a good (and quick) recovery.

slowmick

38-39"
Jeez @Jpez that's horrific. So very glad you got it sorted in time sounds lie you pushed it right to the line. Rest up. Maybe watch Mystery Men and ponder your next move if your spleen grows back to monstrous proportions.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sorry long one.

So what I thought was just sore shoulder and rib cage turned out to actually be a blown spleen and broken ribs x 3. The sore left shoulder is actually a symptom of a ruptured spleen apparently. So anyway after I crashed I pulled myself together and gingerly rolled down the hill and drove the two hours home.
Sat around the next day feeling pretty crap and light headed. Started napping and tried to go to the toilet and woke up on the floor. Must have passed out. I thought I was light headed because of an anelgesic my missus gave me for her restless legs.
So about 5pm she gets home says I look like shit. I did. Finally I agreed to present at the local hospital and hearing my story rushed me in and did a 2 second ultra sound to confirm their hunch and called an ambo for the nearest trauma center. On the way there the Ambos were astounded that I had rolled back down, drove home, walked in on my own two feet and that I’d sat at home like a dickhead bleeding out for a day and a half.
My memory of the Crash was knowing I didn’t have the speed to send the drop and figure I got I’d roll it which is fine I’d you are 8 inches to the right. The line I rolled has a big stick uppy rock a foot below that. I remember seeing the fork compress and then tumbling and landing on the slab sideways below with the biggest impact I’ve ever felt.

Fuck me sideways! That's a close call. Good luck with the recovery.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
That’s horrific, but lucky at the same time @Jpez
A lesson to all of us Google MDs.
Best of luck with your recovery, I’m sure you’ll be back on the bike before too long.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Sorry long one.

JFC that’s brutal. Speedy recovery

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Jeez @Jpez that is a fullblown horror story. But your beastmode handling of the whole situation was incredible.

Looking forward to the triumphant return, bagging a podium in the tranzNZ, and selling the movie rights for millions.

Who are you going to get to act the lead role?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Jeez @Jpez that is a fullblown horror story. But your beastmode handling of the whole situation was incredible.

Looking forward to the triumphant return, bagging a podium in the tranzNZ, and selling the movie rights for millions.

Who are you going to get to act the lead role?
We’ll I’m told I bear some resemblance to Dennis Leary and yes I’m an asshole so it fits.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I spent the afternoon in the garage trying to rebuild a friend's bike. It's an old black market kill switch that he picked up used in Canada a few years ago. It's been in parts in his garage for a few years after breaking the rear axle on a street ride in Sydney with me before the pandemic! We had a crack at getting it rolling late last year (I think) but had a shortage of parts.

He is a great chef, but a questionable bike mechanic. The details for the frame that I can find don't seem to match his frame, parts that should fit don't, the bottom bracket thread is jamming (suggested the lbs for a bit of facing) and I think the frame is bent (he was running the wrong size rear hub in there for a bit) and I may or may not have lost a set of pike DJ forks. If I sold you a pair let me know?

New headset installed...orders a taper no straight steerer headset. That was probably my fault and he now has one of my heavy dusty reducer crown races.

Anyway once again the mighty high tensile bolt dealer triumphed! He has a new axle that fits perfectly with a nyloc nut and a few washers for $11. The rest is probably going back in his garage for a year or two.