Floods in VIC - everyone ok?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
My local underground creek has surfaced...

IMG_20221028_165824~2.jpg

IMG_20221028_170910~2.jpg

And here's where it goes under about 200m upstream. Normally this is a nice rock-lined channel....
IMG_20221028_170257~2.jpg

Downstream at the canoe jetty it's now about -290mm (my 0mm reference being the top of the upper deck level), up from -620mm on Monday. The lower level is about 10mm clear.

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had to go through Yarra Glen this morning, road was still open with about 3in of water across the Melba. Went to do the same 2 hours later and the road was closed again. Got diverted into Healsville. Then got diverted again at Healsville as the black spur was closed. Had to head back up through Toolangi back to the Melba!
Lots of water on its way down the Yarra.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Had to go through Yarra Glen this morning, road was still open with about 3in of water across the Melba. Went to do the same 2 hours later and the road was closed again. Got diverted into Healsville. Then got diverted again at Healsville as the black spur was closed. Had to head back up through Toolangi back to the Melba!
Lots of water on its way down the Yarra.
Man that's a long way around

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
You
Quoting myself so you can click on the pictures.

It's getting up there. From what I can work out we're about 4 meters over our average height, give or take. Echuca peaked at roughly 9 meters over their average. Happy to be corrected.

You've got a much bigger and wider floodplain there...but it'll still get quite a bit deeper yet. The switchgear platform is a bit of a tell.Last time it flooded there it only got over the car park at the lock. But it'll be a smidge deeper this time...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
You

You've got a much bigger and wider floodplain there...but it'll still get quite a bit deeper yet. The switchgear platform is a bit of a tell.Last time it flooded there it only got over the car park at the lock. But it'll be a smidge deeper this time...
Yup. Stolen from Facebook from today.

FB_IMG_1667124635793.jpg

Cardy George

Yup. Stolen from Facebook from today.

View attachment 393941
Four days later.......

I didn't take a photo, but the water has covered the carpark to the left of the photo. I didn't want to backtrack and was contemplating just riding on through, when I looked to the high side of the carpark and saw two blokes driving their mobility scooters through. The rims and tyres had a good wash :p

Cardy George

It's been one of those 'well, I'm a dumbarse' moments. Floods means there is so much water it doesn't fit in the river, but I had never considered that it was because there was so much water flowing through. And it is fucking moving. If you dived in you would be in Wentworth before you resurfaced.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
"Where two rivers meet" Murray-Darling Junction

Murray on the left, Darling on the right. Everything between the road and the line of trees is normally dry.

View attachment 394094

Lock 10 and Weir, Wentworth

View attachment 394096

Images were stolen from Facebook. I can give you the link if you really care that much.
That's about as big as I experienced it...and it'll get a bit bigger yet. You've got plenty of time now to think about a recovery plan for Coomie too. The builds at the Log Bridge and Unhappy Valley are likely history for starters...