Downcountry...Upduro.....Just a 27.5 fun xc bike?

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
On the weekend got myself a second hand Scott Spark. Going to go all downcountry/upduro and see if I can keep myself from seeking out gnar on this little thing. Have been finding my Sight 29er a bit sluggish on flatter rides and the hardtail a bit rough when I just want to go for a fang.

After now having it fully running for 70km of trails it is a ball of fun. Nice bike to have in the stable.

Frame - 2017 Scott Spark 120mm travel. 27.5 67deg HA, 459 reach.
Rear shock - X Fusion air - has the twinlock still so open/trail/lock from bars
Front shock/fork - 2016 RS Lyrik RC 130mm non boost
Handlebars - 35mm One Up Carbon bars cut to 760mm
Stem - 45mm We are One composites 35mm clamp
Headset - Stock headset is absolute shite so will need to go. Deciding on 1.5 or 2 degree angleset.
Grips - Deity
Saddle - SDG Duster
Seatpost - One-UP v2 180mm shimmed to 160mm
Front brake - SLX 7120 Metal pads , Saint M820 Lever with 203mm XT Rotor
Rear brake - SLX 7100 Resin pads, Saint M820 Lever with 180mm XT Rotor
Cranks - XTR M9020 34T Wolftooth
Chainguide - NA
Chain - Shimano XT 11 Speed
Pedals - DMR V12 Magnesium
Rear derailleur - XT 11 Speed
Rear shifter - XT 11 Speed
Cassette - XT 11 Speed - 11-42
Front hub - Stan's NEO 100x15
Rear hub - Stan's NEO 142x12 with boost adaptor
Front rim - Stan's Flow MK3 27.5
Rear rim - Stans Flow MK3 27.5
Tyres - Dissector 2.4 Front / Rekon 2.4 rear

Total weight - 14.1kg with spare tube, one up pump and empty water bottle.

Converting the QR 141 rear end to through axel was a shit of a job. Worked in the end but nearly turfed the whole bloody thing.

Hardtail running 160mm fork

Becoming this

Last edited:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
On the weekend got myself a second hand Scott Spark. Going to go all downcountry/upduro and see if I can keep myself from seeking out gnar on this little thing. Have been finding my Sight 29er a bit sluggish on flatter rides and the hardtail a bit rough when I just want to go for a fang. Shitty spark bits will go on the hardtail so will have to decide whether to keep it or flog it off.

Frame - 2017 Scott Spark 120mm travel. 27.5 67deg HA, 459 reach.
Rear shock - X Fusion air - has the twinlock still so open/trail/lock from bars
Front shock/fork - 2016 RS Lyrik RC 130mm non boost
Handlebars - Eastern Carbon 20mm rise 750mm
Stem - 60mm alloy (aiming to go 45mm)
Headset - Deciding on 1.5 or 2 degree angleset. Or maybe just stick with 67degree but the stock headset is absolute shite so will need to go.
Grips - Deity
Saddle - SDG Duster
Seatpost - Fox Transfer 150mm - Too long overall need to change out for One-UP v2 180mm shimmed to 160mm
Front brake - SLX 7120 Metal pads with 203mm XT Rotor
Rear brake - SLX 7120 Metal pads with 180mm XT Rotor
Cranks - XTR M9020 34T Wolftooth
Chainguide - NA
Chain - Shimano XT 11 Speed
Pedals - DMR V12 Magnesium
Rear derailleur - XT 11 Speed
Rear shifter - XT 11 Speed
Cassette - XT 11 Speed - 11-42
Front hub - Stan's NEO 100x15
Rear hub - Stan's NEO 142x12 (to go on it currently it has a 141x10 QR piece of shit wheel which needs to die in a hole)
Front rim - Stan's Flow MK3 27.5
Rear rim - Stans Flow MK3 27.5
Tyres - TBC, Currently Assegai 2.5 Front / Aggressor 2.5 rear but too beefy and slow a combo. Maybe DHR 2.4 Front / Rekon 2.4 rear

Total weight - Not super light. TBC

Interesting things - I had no idea the frame on the base model wasn't through axel and didn't even pick up on the shitty 141 QR rear end so will buy the through axel dropout and then take to the frame with a drill to get a through axel into it. Also going to need to buy a rear axel and likely boostinator my 142x12 wheel to make it all work.

My dropper is too long......

Hardtail running 160mm fork

Becoming this
I had a spark and loved it. I tried to have it as a do all which didn't work for me as I kept blowing through the rear travel due to keeping the twin Loc. But seeing you have a Sight for the gnarlier stuff it should be a great bike.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Finally finished the build 3 weeks ago. What a shitfight it was converting it to 12mm through axel. Had to buy drop outs for both sides, drill and dremel frame. Couldn't find a axel so bought a longer one then stuffed up trimming and tapping thread onto that so had to find another axel which worked. Rear couldn't accept SLX 7120 caliper properly so had to change to a SLX7100 twin pot.

It is a absolute blast to ride fast. Great to throw around a real good middle ground between my 29er and dirtjumper. Have just removed the assegai for a dissector on the front to let it roll a little better.

Specs updated in first post.