What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
My friend with cerebal palsy has limited use of his right hand (nicknamed "the craw").

Anyway, he was sick of never really having front brakes so bought the Hope Duo E4s. All these shops were bring it around, we'll have a go at shortening and bleeding, blah blah blah and I said I'd come around and we'd have a crack. He bought the Hope bleed kit so it was super simple.

So this is what we started with the top pic and ended up with something okayish. I do BMX style that wraps across the front, not super tight like some like. The shifter line will be replaced shortly and will end up either in front or behind both brake lines.

Attachments

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
My friend with cerebal palsy has limited use of his right hand (nicknamed "the craw").

Anyway, he was sick of never really having front brakes so bought the Hope Duo E4s. All these shops were bring it around, we'll have a go at shortening and bleeding, blah blah blah and I said I'd come around and we'd have a crack. He bought the Hope bleed kit so it was super simple.

So this is what we started with the top pic and ended up with something okayish. I do BMX style that wraps across the front, not super tight like some like. The shifter line will be replaced shortly and will end up either in front or behind both brake lines.
That's awesome @mooboyj !

I've got a friend who has unilateral CP (right side is affected) and he has bodged a shifter fix on his commuter bike so that the controls for front and rear derailleur are routed to the left. I tried to convince him to use Archer DX1 for the rear shifter, but he didn't want to drop that much coin.

He also routed the front brake to the left side, so that when he activates the left lever it will apply both brakes simultaneously. His is a simple set up with mech brakes though.

The hope duo lever is an elegant solution.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Missus eBike turn today. 400km on the clock for a 5-6yr old bike, she went over the handlebars in Jan 2020 on the fire track to the Cascade Dam in Derby and has never ridden it since. Still even got her super padded fat gel saddle on it.

Took the original unworn tyres off it today and fitted Magic Marys, new sealant, cleaned it, tuned gears and now on charge.

Was thinking I might ride it for recovery when I can ride but a quick ride down to the hose area to wash it today revealed its my gooch (perineal) area that will be the problem, nothing that the ebike will help with.

20230228_165014.jpg

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Missus eBike turn today. 400km on the clock for a 5-6yr old bike, she went over the handlebars in Jan 2020 on the fire track to the Cascade Dam in Derby and has never ridden it since. Still even got her super padded fat gel saddle on it.

Took the original unworn tyres off it today and fitted Magic Marys, new sealant, cleaned it, tuned gears and now on charge.

Was thinking I might ride it for recovery when I can ride but a quick ride down to the hose area to wash it today revealed its my gooch (perineal) area that will be the problem, nothing that the ebike will help with.

View attachment 397393
Stand up pedaling hill sprints for you then mate. Don't go splitting that gooch :eek:

Flow-Rider

Burner

View attachment 397393
Time for a new gouch saddle.

1677579342377.png
1677579380609.png

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

View attachment 397393
If it helps guchi in Japanese is mouth.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Time for a new gouch saddle.
My saddles are pretty good, got the one on the right, its a Specialized Power. Derived from my normal saddle which is a Spech Romin.

To be honest, I dont think any of them are going to help at the moment with a catheter tube run up through a place that nothing should ever be poked, then into my bladder :rolleyes: The tube can be felt for the length of my gooch... even sitting on a soft flat chair is uncomfortable.

The friction of the latex tube dry rubbing in there is sensational...

6 days to go and I'm free :)

20230227_171733.jpg

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Decided to try some of the flowier tralis from the weekends flow-x again this morning.
I had a run around Super Bowl on Sunday afternoon. Hadn't seen that flow section before so had a quick run after the normal loop.

Does it continue down the hill in an interesting way after that table top that leads back into the climb? I've come up from that direction but looks like there may be more that I haven't explored.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Forgot to post that I had a ride on the weekend after weeks off, legs were really sore from a leggy bootcamp session on Friday, punched out 9km around lower Stromlo as my knee and my mate were only up for mellow climbing and I had to keep some knee available for skateboarding on Sunday.

The skate session was with our young neighbour, I gave him a complete board a little while back and he's gotten into it. 11y.o, he loves to ask "what's your favourite..." so he's in my driveway at 7:30am when I return from farmers market and asks what's my favourite, sk8 or MTB? I said "MTB, because I'm better at that than skating" :)

We skated at the Woden skatepark, he also took a scooter which is obviously 5 million times easier than skating so there was a bit of skate and mostly scoot for him, I had a few runs with some old fellas I hadn't met before, legs were cooked by the end.

Finally Mrs and I got back on the e-bikes to commute today, left a little late and encountered Pedal Power Hour with two large groups of retirees riding around the lake. Need to do a little tweaking to the settings to conserve battery a little more, we're yet to hit low voltage cut out but Mrs get close on some days with a smaller battery than mine.

crash3

Likes Dirt
I had a run around Super Bowl on Sunday afternoon. Hadn't seen that flow section before so had a quick run after the normal loop.

Does it continue down the hill in an interesting way after that table top that leads back into the climb? I've come up from that direction but looks like there may be more that I haven't explored.
No this is another entrance off the top carpark. With the main trail you can start in the carpark, cross butterfly road and drop in (yellow aarow in screenshot below). These trails you enter from the carpark itself (blue arrow). There's the pole my bike is leaning against to show the start of the trail, and a concrete Trig marker not far after it. If you continue down the fire-trail that forks off from butterfly road at the carpark (road doesn't seem to have a name) theres another trail on the left about 15m down the road. All end on butterfly road, or the intersection of butterfly and east stump road, and you climb butterfly back to the carpark.

1677630305468.png

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Hey @crash3, yeah I did do a couple of quick runs. I accidentally climbed the flow trail back to the trail head as the climb back is a bit confusing, so I then did a couple of runs down. I meant after the bigger berms stop, does the descent keep going?

It gets a bit mixed up in the trails I've used to climb in the past, but maybe I'm messing up the very end of the traditional loop.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Hey @crash3, yeah I did do a couple of quick runs. I accidentally climbed the flow trail back to the trail head as the climb back is a bit confusing, so I then did a couple of runs down. I meant after the bigger berms stop, does the descent keep going?

It gets a bit mixed up in the trails I've used to climb in the past, but maybe I'm messing up the very end of the traditional loop.
Ah yeah I get you.

Yeah it does keep going. The big berms stop around where you enter on the climb up Butterfly Rd yes? I'd never done that bit before Saturday.
It is pretty confusing in there, I think the butterfly rd entrance is meant to drop in and descend to where Butterfly Rd and East Stump Rd meet.
After the tabletop it tee's off into two (or more) trails too.

I think it'd be descent in that section, not climb, judging by the berms

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
And then rode it home!

Was blissfully riding along, taking photos of the flood carnage, enjoying being back on dirt for the first time since September.

And then I made a new friend. I doubt he'll remember me though, I found him under this.

I don't ride with my glasses on, I picked it early as an overturned quad bike, but it took me a bit to realise there was a bloke slumped next to it. He was sitting up, conscious, facing away from me so I said G'day as I pulled up and it became very clear he was not well. Kept chatting to him, assuring him we'd get some help while I took my gear off and assessed the situation. I could see his foot appeared trapped, and his leg was on a weird angle. Asked his name, and if he knew how he'd managed to get in this situation. He knew his name but had no idea how he came off, and he was already a paraplegic. If I could help right his bike he'd be fine. Hmmmm, we might just get some help first my new friend. I could see a scrape and bruising on his head, so I asked if he was hurting anywhere else, and how much feeling he actually had. Nope, and nothing below the chest. OK then. That explained why his foot was stuck in an occy strap on the foot plate. He then told me for the first time he is a paraplegic.

OK, ambulance time.

I think I shocked the 000 girl with how well I was handling what was going on. What condition is Old Mate in? Sitting up, talking, but clearly not with it. Is he bleeding? No, but he has a few scrapes, and a big bruise on his head. She asked where we were. Um, I can't say exactly, but I can give you GPS coordinates. "Perfect! It's showing the closest road access is X." Yes, technically, but that's the wrong side of the river. In the few minutes we were speaking she felt confident enough to end the call with the instruction to call immediately if his condition worsened. When the call ended he thanked me for helping. And told me, for the first time, he was already a paraplegic. He said if I could help him put the bike back on its wheels he'd be fine. Mmmmm, don't think so, I'm a bit worried about your head, I'll get you some help.

Which brought the next challenge, talking them in to where we were. Bikes don't need to follow the road to get to that position so when the police officer rang to ask if they could get their BMW wagon in I really couldn't tell them. Then the 000 call centre rang asking how to get in. Which prompted him to tell me, for the first time, he was a paraplegic. I'd messaged Mrs George to say I'd be late home, so Mrs George rang. He then told me, for the first time, he was a paraplegic. But by absolute luck another bloke on an MTB appeared on front of me so I asked him to go collect them. By the time MTB bloke made it to the cops, Mrs George had found them too, and the ambulance was waiting. He led them all back to us and the Ambos took it from there.

By the time we left the whole cavalry had arrived.
20230301_182919-01.jpeg