Full Fat or HiLo: an eeb conundrum

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Once you get used to the Ebike, you'll find you may start riding it harder than you're currently riding. My Fuel Ex-e is encouraging some pace on the descents.
Likely not, I’m a pussy on the downs. Having said that, a bit more travel would likely encourage some speed

Rorschach

Got out for a jolly at lunch and went to look at a Levo SL. Jeez they're a great looking bike in the flesh. The satin brown of the Comp is stunning in person.
The Spesh dealer near work has a couple of demos coming in which I'll have a go on when they're available.
Also gives me some time to tart up the Prime and see if I can sell that (as I think I'm committed to that now). Also thinking of selling my roadie as I haven't ridden it in over 6 months and it currently does not spark joy

cammas

Seamstress
Every single review I've read has been more than complimentary on the ride quality. I'll get a test ride and make a decision from there I think
Spesh running a sale on certain Levo’s and throwing in a range extender

Rorschach

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Got out for a jolly at lunch and went to look at a Levo SL. Jeez they're a great looking bike in the flesh. The satin brown of the Comp is stunning in person.
The Spesh dealer near work has a couple of demos coming in which I'll have a go on when they're available.
Also gives me some time to tart up the Prime and see if I can sell that (as I think I'm committed to that now). Also thinking of selling my roadie as I haven't ridden it in over 6 months and it currently does not spark joy
A demo would be a good plan. Try a few different bikes, light weight and full fat, it will give you a better idea of what will suit you best.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, with the question about full power or super light models, take into consideration any changes in spec you might make.

I've altered mine pretty significantly with heavier duty items to match how and where I ride. It put an additional 1.7kgs on the bike. It's now at just under 21kgs so be mindful of that.

Bike rides awesome btw, even with my heft on it.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Also, with the question about full power or super light models, take into consideration any changes in spec you might make.

I've altered mine pretty significantly with heavier duty items to match how and where I ride. It put an additional 1.7kgs on the bike. It's now at just under 21kgs so be mindful of that.

Yes, that is a factor to think about.
My Levo SL is at about 19kg which is mainly the extra weight of the Ohlins 160mm coil fork. I wouldn't mind getting the air kit for that fork and swap it out to see what the difference in the ride is like and if the extra weight is warranted.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, that is a factor to think about.
My Levo SL is at about 19kg which is mainly the extra weight of the Ohlins 160mm coil fork. I wouldn't mind getting the air kit for that fork and swap it out to see what the difference in the ride is like and if the extra weight is warranted.
With mine it's tyres, coil shock, inserts, longer dropper, 36mm forks... All improving the ride though and more durability.

Rorschach

A demo would be a good plan. Try a few different bikes, light weight and full fat, it will give you a better idea of what will suit you best.
I can demo a Levo and an SL back-to-back and I've already ridden an EX-e so am across that one but yes, will be looking to demo where I can and compare!

Honestly, the SL Comp spec is pretty sound. The forks might get an upgrade (or a swap for the Durolux if I can get a bike before I sell the Prime), and maybe some HS2 rotors but looking at the SL its pretty good. The Levo Comp is a reasonable spec, but as Spec are selling the Expert for $600 more with a much better spec I'd likely stump for that
If I go for the equivalent spec EXe then nothing stands out too much other than the dropper
With the Giant, the touch points and wheels are the obvious standouts but the lower cost makes it more palatable. Also comes with Performance spec forks, which is better than the Rhythms on the Spec and Trek

I'd probably look at inserts regardless as well, given my bulk!

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Also comes with Performance spec forks, which is better than the Rhythms on the Spec and Trek
Both come with the GRIP damper but the Rhythm is the sturdier (and therefore heavier) of the two by all accounts so perhaps the better eeb choice?

Rorschach

Both come with the GRIP damper but the Rhythm is the sturdier (and therefore heavier) of the two by all accounts so perhaps the better eeb choice?
I rate the Rhythms, they're great forks - I have experience with the internals on my Z2 - so yeah they might stay anyway

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
You're confusing Fox Performance (Same chassis as the Rhythms AFAIK, maybe a FIT-4 damper instead of Grip) with Performance Elite (lighter 'Factory' spec but black anno stanchions instead of Kashima).

Rorschach

You're confusing Fox Performance (Same chassis as the Rhythms AFAIK, maybe a FIT-4 damper instead of Grip) with Performance Elite (lighter 'Factory' spec but black anno stanchions instead of Kashima).
Rhythm is a different chassis, Performance, Elite and Factory all share the same chassis
Rhythms use a FIT damper
Performance uses a GRIP damper
Performance Elite and Factory are GRIP2 or FIT4

Buyer’s guide to Fox forks | The full line-up, from cross-country to downhill - BikeRadar

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Rorschach

I do like the Zocchis, and the Z1 is a Rhythm with a better damper

And good to add to Dr Beebs useless information repository

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Fair. I thought a few years ago the Performance 36's had the heavier chassis, but must've been wrong. Ta for the correction.

All the more reason to buy a Z1 instead of a 36. :p
Current 36s are absolute brawlers imo, like mini 38s. Much better feeling damping on bigger hits than the older models.