The Fixie Thread

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought I would dredge up this thread to post a couple of pics of my recently finished Fixie.

Paid $200 for the Van Werkhoven World Champion Frame and fork. Frame has Hoffy stamped into the BB shell with Campagnolo dropouts on the frame and Gippieme dropouts on the fork. It came with a Spidel Stronglight headset and a Sakae 27.2mm seatpost. Rhino sourced the wheelset for me for $150. Japanese wheels (Suzue hubs laced to Ukai rims with double butted spokes), crappy old Shitmano 105 cranks for the moment (until I can find something nicer) with Candy pedals (again until I can find something better). Handlebars and stem were found at Bicycle Revolution recyclers in Brisbane for less than $10. Currently running her 48/16.
I also built myself an SS roadie this week. Bought the frame, fork, stem, seatpost for $180, wheelset for $120 (including tyres) and other assorted stuf for about $70.
I now have a completely 700c SS collection of bikes including my 29er. :D

Attachments

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've been riding an old lugged steel malvern star fixie for almost a year now, love it, i seem to get places quicker when i can't stop pedalling. the time for gear ratio suggestions has probably passed, but if anyone is still interested, i run 42:14, on 27" wheels with 175mm cranks, thats about 81" on the sheldon brown calculator, for general use i'd probably go a bit lower, but i have a fairly long but not steep downhill on my commute and i like not having to spin too quick down that.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If we're going to play I'll show you mine if you show me yours, then I'm in:D

165mm cranks (full of tracky goodness)
51:17
700c rims, 23c tyres
Gives a mick hair under 79 gear inches or a gain ratio of 6.1 according to my mate Sheldon.

...err...79inches, that can't be right...can it?:confused:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll play (despite the previous 2 posts being useless without pic's).

SS Roadie 42/15 = 75.6
Track fixie 48/16 = 81.0

I possibly need to up the gearing on the track bike to 50 or 51/16.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If we're going to play I'll show you mine if you show me yours, then I'm in:D

165mm cranks (full of tracky goodness)
51:17
700c rims, 23c tyres
Gives a mick hair under 79 gear inches or a gain ratio of 6.1 according to my mate Sheldon.

...err...79inches, that can't be right...can it?:confused:
Is that a track bike??
Hope so. I would not want to try and run that gearing on the road too often.

idesa

Likes Bikes
Boo-hoo mine's not on thr road yet :( But I'll try to draw a mental picture. It's a (I think) mid-80's Specialized roady frame, powdercoated white. Just ordered some wheels for Malvern Bikes +, black aerohead, black DB spokes, shiny silver nipples on black ShifterBikes hubs. Had a Cinelli stem and Specialized bars (much like the B123's) on it when I got it. I've polished those up, now I'm goin to put some black tape on but only half way. Picked up Shimano 600 cranks the other day, but rough but should come up ok. I'm looking at running a 44/16 combo to give 74". Been cruizing around with 42/16 on the hardtail around the streets lately so I guess I can step it up a bit with a lighter smoother rig!

Anyway enough of me babbleing shitte, the bike will look the goods I hope.
May have some pics soon as well

Outy groovers :D

P.s. When it is done it'd be great to catch up with some of you guys for a spin eh?

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
Geez that van werkhoven looks nice! Do you know what tubeset it has?

Oh I have a few pairs of 144 bcd cranks that might suit it that I would let go for a token amount - Early 80s Sakae "custom", 144 bcd. Old campagnolo rings were 144 bcd.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Boo-hoo mine's not on thr road yet :( But I'll try to draw a mental picture. It's a (I think) mid-80's Specialized roady frame, powdercoated white. Just ordered some wheels for Malvern Bikes +, black aerohead, black DB spokes, shiny silver nipples on black ShifterBikes hubs. Had a Cinelli stem and Specialized bars (much like the B123's) on it when I got it. I've polished those up, now I'm goin to put some black tape on but only half way. Picked up Shimano 600 cranks the other day, but rough but should come up ok. I'm looking at running a 44/16 combo to give 74". Been cruizing around with 42/16 on the hardtail around the streets lately so I guess I can step it up a bit with a lighter smoother rig!

Anyway enough of me babbleing shitte, the bike will look the goods I hope.
May have some pics soon as well

Outy groovers :D

P.s. When it is done it'd be great to catch up with some of you guys for a spin eh?
Saw you got some good advice over on fixed.org.au .
Hopefully you will sort that chainring and be good to go.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Geez that van werkhoven looks nice! Do you know what tubeset it has?

Oh I have a few pairs of 144 bcd cranks that might suit it that I would let go for a token amount - Early 80s Sakae "custom", 144 bcd. Old campagnolo rings were 144 bcd.
Van Werkhoven is Reynolds 531.
May be interested in the cranks too.
Do you happen to have any pics of them??

Attachments

idesa

Likes Bikes
Sumgy
Saw you got some good advice over on fixed.org.au .
Hopefully you will sort that chainring and be good to go.
Yep for sure, got some offers for a couple of 3/32s rings but I've been advised to go for the 1/8th as that's the chain I'll be using. Apparently the 1/8th gives you more reverse thrust (that term always makes me laugh!) too which is a good thing cause I'm not sure how long I'll keep the front brake on for :eek:

I'll second the interest in the cranks Grabnut. Might be good to have some for spares or knowing me, the next project! Do you have any pics you could throw my way?

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sumgy

Yep for sure, got some offers for a couple of 3/32s rings but I've been advised to go for the 1/8th as that's the chain I'll be using. Apparently the 1/8th gives you more reverse thrust (that term always makes me laugh!) too which is a good thing cause I'm not sure how long I'll keep the front brake on for :eek:
Only ridden mine on the track but have found it fairly easy to do the "reverse thrust" braking.
Not sure how I will go with it on the street though.

idesa

Likes Bikes
Yeah I guess on paper it's easy i.e. Up on front, down on back. Around traffic would be where you'd really wanna be sure you get it right. Either that or find meger comfort in knowing your will is up to date!

Sleeman

Likes Dirt
Once you work out how to do your first skid, then you will soon be a master at it cause it is soo much fun. I find myself doing skids all over the place when it would be easier, and more efficient to just slow down.

I think it has something to do with sliding 20m on a brakeless track bike between traffic, only to stop right on the white line at the red light, and continue on to ride in backwards circles until the light turns green.

The confused look on drivers, and pedestrians faces, is priceless, and definately worth the cost of replacement tyres...

JDB

Likes Dirt
Sumgy, I'd suggest you try taking the fixed off the track and see how easy it is to keep your speed in check down a long hill, reverse thrust can be a real strain at times.

Here is my beautiful Zullo framed fixed gear beast (courtesy of Rhino). Just waiting on some new vintage toe clip pedals complete with leather straps and I'll be in action. The front brake is being removed because it never worked very well to begin with. Now just need to think about the finish, maybe poweder coat or fix up the chrome ....

Edit: Oh yeah and I'm running 39:15 at the moment, think I might need something a bit bigger at the front.

Attachments