Bike Related Deaths

jarrad7

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
While I was thinking to myself the other day, i was wondering has anyone died in a bike accident/crash either racing or showing off?
I know there have been some near death experiences for some, but has it come to the stage of people pushing it past the limits?

Jarrad

Povi

Likes Dirt
there was a story posted up here some time ago about this guy who wasnt wearing a helmet, hopped up a gutter, somehow clipped the gutter and was sent straight off his bike, and dieded........
sorry i cant remember the exact story, im sure other people might know a bit more, but thats pretty sad, for someone to die, just by hopping up a gutter

on drop in (season 3 i think) they were hitting some massive road gap and they said that a week before they came there some kid on a hardtail wearing a brainbucket hucked off the gap crashed and died

Ben_9

Banned
on drop in (season 3 i think) they were hitting some massive road gap and they said that a week before they came there some kid on a hardtail wearing a brainbucket hucked off the gap crashed and died
He didn't die, he fractured his skull but was ok a few months later and was back on the bike again. There was a vid of him on here a few months back.

allstar

Likes Dirt
dunno bout mountain bikers... but i know there ave been quite a few deaths on the road, either by being run over, of crashing at high speed, it's abit ironic tho considering what people like bender do and dont die yet the roadies that are just on the flat smooth road have had so many casualitys.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Uni Track, I think the fire road leading in, there was a massive drain jump, with a concrete lip that was apparently really hard to see and judge how quick you needed to go. Some guy came flying down the hill, hit it, went crazy high, came down, missed the corner, into a tree and died. I heard it wasn't instant either.

jbg

Likes Dirt
re bike related deaths

yep i had a mongoose amplifier 2 bout 10 years ago, jumped it over a set of doubles and landed sideways......... i was too fat n folded the rear swingarm on landing poor old ampy died instantly (no waranty for fat dudes riding xc bikes dh)
after a day of morning i decided i should buy a more sturdy bike something with an unfoldable swingarm

r.i.p ampy
08/02/96 - 21/11/96

cefiro

Likes Dirt
bike deaths

i havent herd of any track incidents of late but this timelast year a 30year old or so man got taken out on a blind corner in my area killed there and then, no helmet but what good they do when a couple ton of metal hits yay

gman

Likes Bikes
dunno bout mountain bikers... but i know there ave been quite a few deaths on the road, either by being run over, of crashing at high speed, it's abit ironic tho considering what people like bender do and dont die yet the roadies that are just on the flat smooth road have had so many casualitys.
Very sad, Paul Hartly died recently in Canberra in a road race. http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=67936

Road racers are faced with the greatest risk if you ask me.

Road racers often travel at very high speed, with every crash being a collision with something rock solid hard, vehicles, road, guard rails, gutters etc.. the only protection they usually wear is an open face helmet.

Mountain bikers are faced with a more random danger of rocks, trees and big drops, but no vehicles etc. When the terrain is risky, or skills are low, mtb riders often have full face helmets, and decent protection also.

zac

Likes Dirt
I could be wrong, but wasn't there a female dh rider who died at the same event that Johnny Waddell had his crash at a couple of years ago? I think she might have been Japanese, but I can't remember the details

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah that guy Povi mentioned was a trials rider. Super skilled one by the sounds of it, and he took his helmet and he was mucking around. Hopped up a curb and clipped and flipped and somehow landed on his head and killed himself. It's so tragic that something can happen like death out of something so minor.

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could be wrong, but wasn't there a female dh rider who died at the same event that Johnny Waddell had his crash at a couple of years ago? I think she might have been Japanese, but I can't remember the details
yeah I think you're right there.

m_g

Likes Dirt
there was a top aussie xc rider who died recently only an hour or two into an enduro race...He was only young (30 yo) but I think they found he had an undiagnosed heart ailment...very sad

Fusion

Likes Dirt
To be honest I think that Roadies face the greatest dangers. As Gman said, they often travel insanely fast, in a tight group wearing nothing but lycra and an open helmet. Descending in a tight group down a narrow road would have to be one of the most harrowing experiences you can do on a bike.

Although, fast sprints at the end are just as bad. If I remember correctly, one of the chaps in this crash had to have a quite a lot of facial reconstruction.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S_zzr5KV5X8

chie

Likes Dirt
When that Japanese woman was killed a few yrs back I think I read that it was only the 2nd death in world cup/norba? dh racing. Not sure if it was same event as Waddell's accident but was definitely round the same time.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some guy died at the gaotfarm ages ago, Yeh for anyone living in Perth and knows the goatfarm. He hucked of the massive quarry closest to the new tracks and landed to flat and was impaled by his bike in two different places or somthing. yep his bike snapped and stabbed him twice :(