The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

moorey

call me Mia
Hahaha, don't you love all the lefties who infest this site? All these same things have been said for the last FOUR elections, and yet Howard has still won them. How does it feel being in the Minority people?

Oh, my job is quite secure, thanks for asking.;)
I'm not a leftie, thanks. I'm a swinging votor who has voted Lib/labour/dem/nat/green and indy during my life. (pretty much everyone except one fucking nation)
However, Howard is a lying sack of brown nosing shit who only cares about the big players. It's time for a change.
I'm glad you're jobs safe. You seem to epitomise the 'I'm fine, don't rock the boat, fuck everyone else and the environment'
I'm actually fine too, thanks, but my students/son aren't going to be when they try to enter the working world under Howard. Not to mention the environment....Kyote is half arsed, yes, but not signing it shown that you're not interested in even PRETENDING to make an effort.
End of rant;)

EastsideZero

Likes Dirt
Face facts, Howard etc pander to business like it's going out of style and they do it at the long term expense of the rest of the country.

In the last 4 elections, I have seen Howard have 1 (count them, ONE) policy related to the long term wellbeing of this country. That amounted to:

"Duh, we're a bit low on money for our long term commitments, maybe everyone should breed more so that we'll have more taxpayers by then..."
(conveniently moving the problem one generation but not actually doing anything to solve it)

The long term cost due to government super is a drop in the ocean when compared to the long term costs that will be associated with global warming. This isn't me being a lefty, this is a fact. But it's the short term impact on the coalmining shareholders that holds Howard by the short and curlies. Nothing more.

If Howard wanted to not damage Australias economy, he could have made us a world leader in renewables in the FOUR TERMS you so proudly spout about. That'd be a value adding industry that would do something for our long term future as well as the good of the planet. But cheaper renewables would take money from the shareholders of coal and oil companies. (please see previous short and curlies comment).

Or maybe uranium? You do know how many million litres of artesian water get pumped out of the basin each day in order to process uranium mining I'm sure? (while at the same time farmers are being told that their bore numbers and volumes are being capped). Yes, Howard will happily screw the majority (actually I think it was a minority at one point) who vote for him for the benefit of a very select few at the very top of the tree.
I mean, people are talking about recycling drinking water from sewerage for heck sake, and we have people getting slightly brackish water which would be cheaper to process to make fresh and they're leaching uranium with it. Onya fellas. Great job. (pockets mining industry lobbyists kickback)

Heard private health insurance premiums were about to rise again too SC. Gee that was a government policy that solved a heap of problems wasn't it?
The cost of health insurance never actually went down, but the companies providing the service got a boost to their coffers. Your taxpayer dollars hard at work.

Oh please, show me how he's greatly improved the lot of Australians. I'd love to have some faith in the man and think he had actually done any good for the country.

It's "I'm alright Jack" (in the short term at least) at the top end of town and enough gulible today tonight and Australian Idol viewers to make up the rest of the numbers.

If you're happy to see people clearfelling furniture grade sassafras and woodchipping it to export under the proviso that they're "value adding" then you'd support that as an industry too. I appreciate that the logging industry has to turn a buck, but they're turning a low return quick buck (chipping) instead of a high return longer term buck (sawmilling for timber). Double the people currently with jobs in the clearfelling and chipping industry could be employed in a high grade logging and furniture industry, so it's not about jobs or economic growth, more about the short term bottom line of woodchipping shareholders. (anyone see a pattern here?)

Am I a lefty, I really don't know. Sure I support healthcare and education, I'd like to think that goverments wouldn't suport short term profits taking that was going to be at the long term expense of the nation or the world and I think those living the high life ought to pay their share to support the rest that they ride on the backs of. (fortunately they employ people like SC Black so they don't have to pay their share) Beyond that, I don't care much either way on the politics.

If howard wasn't a lying little toad sucking up the arse of bush, ruining our countrys reputation and selling us all out, and he was covering the bases in the paragraph above, I doubt I'd have an issue with him to tell the truth.

But it's easier to label people lefties than to look at what they're actually saying.
You read my mind!
All i can add to that is the only way we are really going to change anything is with an armed revolution, but since they've disarmed most of the population theres not much hope of that happening.

I am going to vote Labor because it the furthest distance i can put my vote away from Howard.
Even then we still wont survive the globalisation crop rotation merry-go-round.Unless Labor tear up all the Free(?) Trade agreements and stop Corporations Law from being the ruling law of the land.
First thing that has to go is Work Choices. Individual contracts worked great when they were for corporate high flyers who actually had some power to bargain, but when applied to low to middle income earners who dont have an investment portfolio to fall back on and are only a few paychecks away from the gutter it wont work.

At least this election he won't be able to use interest rates as a scare tactic.I don't remember hearing the libs talk about that much lately,I wonder why?

nizai

Likes Dirt
Im pretty sure this guy is from the apparent "majority". A quote from news.com.au last week....

"Sorry folks but most people are like me and my family and only care about economic prosperity and job security. The Libs have delivered this over the past decade or so and the public do NOT want to jeopardise this. Who cares about the war in Iraq or some guy who was almost definitely training with terrorists? These things mean nothing to the average Joe Bloggs who has a mortgage, kids in school and wants job stability, low interest rates, annual holidays and some leisure time to spend with his family each week. So, Howard occasionally lies? Which politician doesn't? So, the Libs are joined to the American Republicans at the hip? Common ideologies make firm and lasting friendships. Most Australians are now affluent, educated, conservative and just want a good, peaceful, stable life and couldn't care less about so-called global warming, WMD's and other irrelevant and trumped up nonsense. Forget the polls, they are a short-term knee-jerk reaction - the Libs will win in a landslide and Howard will continue as PM for as long as he likes. Please leave the silent majority alone to enjoy their lives in peace and quiet!"
This sort of sh1t riles me up. Its all "me me me me me". This 'stick your head in the sand' lifestyle is part of the problem. How on earth can he proclaim that howard has delivered economic prosperity, low interest rates and job security? Its never been harder to rent a house or buy a house. People are spending more of their weekly wage than ever to service exorbitant mortgages. Its never been easier for employers to sack you. Interest rates are on the rise too.

This guys head is so far up John Howards arse he can no longer see what the PM is actually doing. So hes missed the last 18 months of "economic prosperity". Im pretty sure the definition of economic prosperity does not entail 10-15% of the population being affluent, while the rest of us lye in a gutter and wait to die. Im also fairly certain it doesnt describe the current widening gap between those with and those without.

Answer me this, if we are so fscking prosperous and affluent, why are there MORE social problems today than when peoples precious interest rates were at 16% during the 90's recession? Why do we have a health system thats in freefall decline? Why do we have an education system which cripples its users with colossal debt?

As for not caring about Global Warming or Iraq and WMD's. I guess no amount of money can help cure an ignorant, cretinous and unenlightened individual. Like BMW/Mercedes drivers, people who buy massive houses to compensate for their small penises and Monaro- driving-plasma-screen-watching cashed up bogans, these sorts of Liberal voters or whatever you may like to call them are a WASTE OF SPACE.

And I dont say this because I feel like I am on the short end of the stick, my job is secure, im earning good money and I have my own roof over my head. I say this out of respect for those teenagers, students, homeless people, low income earners and disadvantaged families who have been disrespected for so long by a government that no longer cares about the little guy or his vote.

N

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I know little of economics, but I know this:

My $160k appartment bought in 1997 is now worth about $350k.

If I was in the same job these days as I was back then, there's no way in hell I could afford that apartment. Sure, it's made me a decent amount of money, but it's screwed those who didn't get in when I did!

I also know that I'm glad I own it outright........being that we've had at least 3 interest rate rises since the Howard government was last elected.....on a platform of low interest rates.

I also know that Howard has been the political manipulater (I.E. F*cking liar) concerning:

Iraq: decision timelines, deployment of troops, WMDs, Andrew Wilkie.

AWB

Children overboard.

Tampa crisis.

David Hicks.....oh yeah, he gives a shit now, 5 years later, because an election is coming. God, please let some one be fooled by that political manouvreing and oportunism so I can look down on their intellect!

How does it feel being in the Minority people?
Quite depressing actually. To know that the majority of my countrymen either are too stupid to know when they're being conned, don't care or are happy to let this stuff happen just to make sure they get rich.

I prefer morals and ethics over riches.

Would you bring your children up to have the same kind of values and standards that have been displayed above? LAst time I checked, manipulation and lies weren't the best charater traits in a person.

As an addage to this, I reckon Labor would have done exactly the same given the chance. But the fact is they didn't because they weren't in power. Doesn't mean we should let this government get away with it.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic

Some quick mathematics means that has provided a return of 8% per annum. Very standard rate of return that - a very fair expectation with property, over the longer term is to double the investment over a period of ten years, which is exactly what you have done. That is a return expectation over the last fifty years or so, not just the last ten. So, in actual fact you have achieved a long-standing market return.

If you had bought in 1980, and sold in 1990, the return would generally have been similar. Except with inflation, number would be smaller, but to offset that, salaries were smaller too.

If I was in the same job these days as I was back then, there's no way in hell I could afford that apartment. Sure, it's made me a decent amount of money, but it's screwed those who didn't get in when I did!
The point of investment returns, is not WHEN to get in, but simply to do so - be in the market. As I say above the same rate of return has been seen for decades. Generally.

Buy a home or unit today - even with prices you see as being so Inflated, and you will roughly double your investment over the next ten years. Even with your quoted stellar pricing.

I also know that Howard has been the political manipulater (I.E. F*cking liar) concerning:

AWB
Children overboard.
Tampa crisis.
David Hicks.....oh yeah, he gives a shit now, 5 years later, because an election is coming. God, please let some one be fooled by that political manouvreing and oportunism so I can look down on their intellect!

"How does it feel to be in the minority?"

Quite depressing actually. To know that the majority of my countrymen either are too stupid to know when they're being conned, don't care or are happy to let this stuff happen just to make sure they get rich.

Would you bring your children up to have the same kind of values and standards that have been displayed above? LAst time I checked, manipulation and lies weren't the best charater traits in a person.

As an addage to this, I reckon Labor would have done exactly the same given the chance. But the fact is they didn't because they weren't in power. Doesn't mean we should let this government get away with it.
People in this argument are being far too black-and-white about the decision process.

I love how people point blank see those who voted for Howard as ignoring the lies and manipulation he has dealt out over the years.

Wake up people:eek: . We have seen that, and know that. For fucks sake, are you guys the ONLY people in Australia who realise that Howard pulled some white lies over the children overboard affair etc?

Quote Johnny:
Please read those two paragraphs.

You are saying Liberal voters are too Stupid to realise they were being conned. THEN saying Labour would have done EXACTLY THE SAME.

So, to take your argument a little further, they would have gotten exactly as Rich with Labour anyhow. Therefore, the decision to vote Liberal was not about getting Rich Versus Morals.

From my point of view, there is never a simple clear-cut decision for voting. Labour has some policies I agree with, but MORE I disagree with(largely being the Union lackeys). Some of the shit Howard has gone on with are disgusting, but there are other reforms they have put in place that out-weigh those items. To some degree the quote by Nizai is precisely right. My emphasis in life, and voting to some degree is to provide the best possible for my family. If anyone has a problem with that, stiff shit. BUT to then turn around and say I am ignoring or condoning lies, global warming, or Iraq killings etc is to MAKE UP a simple, self serving argument.

Quote Johnny:

Wow, is the only method of teaching our children good values, to vote against Liberal?
To try and tell me that I am instilling these as character traits due to a choice in an election is VERY self serving for an argument.;)
Are you telling me that the other sides of politics have NEVER lied, never manipulated, never bent the truth?

I have nearly had a fist-fight with my brother-in-law over this same simple ideal. He thought politicians never lied. My uncle and I said it until blue in the face that they ALWAYS have, and always will.
It does not make it quite right, by any means, but you have to attempt to understand the motives and posturing of politicians to try and see their real direction, and take actions on that basis. NEVER see what they say and do as Black-and-White.

The basis of what I am saying here, is there is never a clear-cut decision for an Election. Your own personal and family needs must be balanced against actions that have happened over the last term, and more, and then weighed up.

THEN you must look at the other side of the political spectrum, and weigh up how DIFFERENT their actions would have been, or may be in the future. Johnny, you yourself say Labour would have been no different in their actions. Maybe vote independent, or green, to influence preferences, but their lack of numbers and influence mean you may see that as a wasted vote.

This post is in no way a go simply at Johnny's post, but at all those who are simplifying statements for their own arguments sake. As I said, VERY FEW people were actually conned or too stupid to see various actions for what they were. To try saying that as your argument, shows lack of understanding, or unwillingness to see another point of view.

It has been said MANY MANY times by you guys that the decision to vote Howard means you are voting to GET RICH, as opposed to showing nice moral values. Don't give me that crap, there is much more to the argument than that simplified, self-serving view.

Last edited:

Drizz

Likes Dirt

Its around 8.14% p.a. return rate. Not a ridiculous return rate but I doubt your wage will grow by that much (after tax) either. This is a strong case for building up your asset base so eventually you make your income from assets rather than on your wage.

I also know that I'm glad I own it outright........being that we've had at least 3 interest rate rises since the Howard government was last elected.....on a platform of low interest rates.
That is also a lie. Some strange reason the public thought the PM can tell Ian Macfarlane what to do with interest rate. A growing economy usually mean upward pressures on interest rate.

AWB

Children overboard.

Tampa crisis.

Don’t forget Climate change, Interest rate and the FTA.

Would you have the same view when you are smoking Cubans in a jacuzzi and getting massage by FHM models? There is a reason why successful comedians are no longer funny anymore once they become mega rich. Their perceptions of the world just not the same as when they were on struggle street.

scblack

Leucocholic
In 2004 American Federal Reserve Interest rates were 1.00% - they are now 5.25%.

That is SEVENTEEN 25basis point rate rises. 17.

The THREE in the subsequent three year period shits on SEVENTEEN by the US regulator.

Seems Howard HAS done his job on this regard.;)

scblack

Leucocholic
Go you!

If only everyone had that attitude, imagine how much better Australia would be.........
I repeat, if anyone has a problem, STIFF SHIT.

Quote CaveDweller: Sorry to burst your bubble, but your not that special.
I picked out this little gem of a line from the Common Decency thread.

It seems you STILL follow my posts around like a shaggy dog.

Well, at least I know someone takes note of ALL my posts. I feel all warm and fuzzy now.

Last edited:

Drizz

Likes Dirt
In defence of Scblack , he was referring to people that has a problem with him voting to “to provide the best possible for his family.” to me is entirely a reasonable attitude to have. It does not automatically translate to “Screw everybody else…..”

scblack

Leucocholic
In defence of Scblack , he was referring to people that has a problem with him voting to “to provide the best possible for his family.” to me is entirely a reasonable attitude to have. It does not automatically translate to “Screw everybody else…..”
Cheers Drizz.:)

At least some people read and understand posts in their context.

If only that applied to all..........

scblack

Leucocholic
Problem with shorter terms is that a large proportion of the term is taken up by electioneering instead of just running the country and less stuff gets done.
Paul Keating (when Labour were in power) put forward a referendum on just that point, to extend terms from 3years to 4years.

It got voted down.

I have a lot of respect for Paul Keating. I even voted for him:eek: . Yes, voted Labour;) .

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But what is considered best possible for one's family can be a highly contested issue.

How secure will our children's jobs be with the new IR laws

With unchecked global warming what state will we leave the world in for our children.

What sort of social and cultural legacy will we leave for future generations where money has been valued over ethics?

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
But what is considered best possible for one's family can be a highly contested issue.

With unchecked global warming what state will we leave the world in for our children.

What sort of social and cultural legacy will we leave for future generations where money has been valued over ethics?
Well said mate.

scblack said:
Well it seems you STILL follow my posts around like a shaggy dog.
Gessus. Whats your point of quoting something from another thread from 6 months ago that has absolutely no relevance whatso ever to what i said, besides to prop up your pathetic accusation that i stalk you??? hahah!

Drizz

Likes Dirt
In 2004 American Federal Reserve Interest rates were 1.00% - they are now 5.25%.

That is SEVENTEEN 25basis point rate rises. 17.

The THREE in the subsequent three year period shits on SEVENTEEN by the US regulator.

Seems Howard HAS done his job on this regard.;)
Or does the Seventeen 25basis point rate rises vs our Three a reflection that the US economies are powering ahead while ours stagnating during the same period and hence Howard should have done a BETTER job?

I love statistics, they can be used both ways just like a half empty/half full glass.

I agree with you on this, and TBH this is a question that only each individual can answer. Some believe that a secure economy will provide opportunity for everyone and hence its important to maintain "persistent but not rapid" economic growth. Some believe that social goods like HECS and employment protection such as collective bargaining are the way to go. In the end, we all have one piece of ballot paper to put in the ballot box.....

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Your right and i agree, caring for ones family does not mean screw everybody else. It is totally possible to care for ones family while still caring about others families. I admire these type of people and its what i aspire to.

However, that is not what most people (apparently, according to the last election) are on about, its about me and my family, me and my home as evidenced from the post by nizia. What about mr iraq and his family? Does he deserve a fair go? Mr living on the poverty line and his family under work "choices" (work for this or nothing), what about caring for them? What about your children's family, do they deserve a fair go in work, education, health care and the environment? I don't see much of this caring in the majority of australians, its all about me and my lifestyle in the present with no regard to the future besides a big pile of money, and its kind of sad, these are the people i loathe and i make no apology for it.

scblack

Leucocholic

It can be a highly contentious issue.:cool:

Whats good for my family is up to me in the short term. That I CAN affect and make decisions on that basis. But as I said I do not make those decisions in a vacuum - ALL factors are considered, weighed up and balanced to come up with a decision.

Long term there are just far far too many factors to really consider how a few current, topical issues will affect anybody. IR laws will be a dim memory if another major war happens. A disease could wipe out half the worlds trees meaning warming becomes far worse. I am not saying to ignore these issues - nor am I saying we should consider short term only, far from it - I am saying the cause and effect is very tenuous. And that there are other factors which could throw those ideas/concepts to nothing over time.

Money versus ethics - argued that earlier. But I will put myself in a position to provide my child with any health care needed, and a good education MYSELF. I will not rely on others to do it for me. I will not expect the government to become a welfare state, and provide every little need or want. Read my sig - a quote by Ian Kiernan.

Its not all black-and-white by any means as I have said.

scblack

Leucocholic
Or does the Seventeen 25basis point rate rises vs our Three a reflection that the US economies are powering ahead while ours stagnating during the same period and hence Howard should have done a BETTER job?

I love statistics, they can be used both ways just like a half empty/half full glass.
......or you can argue that Howard was much closer to correct back in 2004. Thus we needed much fewer changes over the period to present. I'm mostly joking now.

What it possibly/probably means is that the US went over the top in reducing rates so low back at that period. 1% was by any measure too low, and exacerbated US economic fluctuations/volatility.

It does mean that our economy (overall) has been smoother than the worlds largest over the period. Credit for that has to be given. Although many factors interplay here.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Liberal all the way, again.

Sure, I don't like Howard and his bum chumming with Bush, or the way he is going about the David Hicks stuff, but I have too much respect for my wallet to vote Labor.

In my relatively short career in the mining industry (6 years) I have also had some serious run-ins with the AWU and the CFMEU, so I reckon these new IR reforms are long time coming. Also, all those fat bastards in the union movement running the ALP in the background also get to me. Its a party for the lower socio-economic classes in society.

In short, I have worked hard to get where I am and I couldnt give two fucks about people less well off than me. Given that most people are prone to bouts of professional jealousy and tall poppy syndrome, my feelings are just.

Sounds harsh as, but thats the way the real world is.

By the way, I wont be on this site for the next few months as I am moving interstate for a new job. Any insults hurled won't be answered until I can get access!

Last edited:

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Liberal all the way, again.

Sure, I don't like Howard and his bum chumming with Bush, or the way he is going about the David Hicks stuff, but I have too much respect for my wallet to vote Labor.

In my relatively short career in the mining industry (6 years) I have also had some serious run-ins with the AWU and the CFMEU, so I reckon these new IR reforms are long time coming. Also, all those fat bastards in the union movement running the ALP in the background also get to me. Its a party for the lower socio-economic classes in society.

In short, I have worked hard to get where I am and I couldnt give two fucks about people less well off than me. Given that most people are prone to bouts of professional jealousy and tall poppy syndrome, my feelings are just.

Sounds harsh as, but thats the way the real world is.

By the way, I wont be on this site for the next few months as I am moving interstate for a new job. Any insults hurled won't be answered until I can get access!
haha. At least your honest, maybe you should run for the liberal party :D

I never liked the CFMEU when i worked in project management in construction, from the employers prospective they can be assholes to deal with, but most of the time they want whats is best for the workers even if they were all fat and grumpy (must be a perquisite for being a union delegate). But i am a firm believer in peoples right to choose to be in or out of a union.

I think in the construction/mining industry the no ticket no start policy was too far one way, having to reject the cheapest prices for jobs because they didn't have an EBA was a load of crud sometimes and made things more expensive, but the new laws are to far the other way giving the employer, not the employee, the right to be in a union as is evidenced by the Boeing dispute up north, plus others. The middle ground needs to be struck

Not sure i agree with saying that labor is for lower soicio-classes. I know some very well of people that vote labor, and some poorer student types that vote liberal/nationals.