Recent content by Binaural

1. Binaural

Why do shocks need so much maintenance?

Most engineers will specify service intervals based on worst-case scenarios. If you constantly ride in rain, through sucking mud or sandy trails (hi, there, UK readers!) then you should heed this advice. If you mostly ride in good weather, you can extend your intervals a lot longer. This ties up...
  2. Binaural

Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

I don't know what your friend was involved in, but there's a high legal bar to try and involve an engineer against their will in these sorts of proceedings. It sounds as if he was paid to be an expert witness to explain his reasoning, which meant he would have faced no personal liability. Simply...
  3. Binaural

Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Their names will be on the report, they can wait until then. No legitimate reason to know before that time other than to try and apply professional pressure to improperly influence the outcome. "We are a professional scientific organisation and don't simple throw unreviewed stuff out the door...
  4. Binaural

The election thread - Will the new PM last a full term - who will you futilely vote for?

For random reasons (long car trip), I listened to his maiden speech to parliament. It was bad for my blood pressure, and also my belief that it's hard to elect a complete idiot.
  5. Binaural

The election thread - Will the new PM last a full term - who will you futilely vote for?

The best bit of that article is that the hard-done by "red river gum" industry was compensated at the time to the tune of 100m. Whose interests exactly is this meant to serve?
  6. Binaural

Project Bike storage ideas

I've got an old terrace house, so I just put some sleeves in hammer-drilled holes. No slipping has been seen so far!
  7. Binaural

Project Bike storage ideas

I hang mine off vertically staggered wall hooks. Can be a bit of a hassle manoeuvring a bike out, but maximises floor space. Works well if you don't have a shed.
  8. Binaural

Little Things You Hate

The prosperity gospel people and their fellow travellers are really a blight on the earth. There are some truly scummy individuals out there pretending to be moral exemplars.
  9. Binaural

Little Things You Love

Speaking of little things I love - love me some Terry Pratchett as a general proposition. Have had endless little chuckles reading those books.
  10. Binaural

Little Things You Love

More proof if any were needed that the sort of credulous idiots who believe this stuff don't read books.
  11. Binaural

Little Things You Hate

That's because they are all on tropical beaches, drinking pina coladas.
  12. Binaural

Little Things You Hate

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/18/woman-knocked-down-while-on-phone-wins-payout-from-cyclist I find this infuriating. This idiot stepped onto the road while the traffic light was green for traffic, whilst looking at her phone, panicked when she realised the cyclist was coming and...
  13. Binaural

New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

There's nothing wrong with a shuttle service anyway. I didn't see people complaining in Derby that they weren't being hoisted rather than driven up to the top of trails.
  14. Binaural

Can America be fixed?

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The...