Recent content by Cycle Technic

1. C

Homemade Remote Lockout

The lockout would still need a return spring to push the PP lever back. Ever tried to push a cable? CT
  2. C

TREK Bikes Stolen

Some seriously high-end bikes in that lot, carbon time-trial and racing bikes with electronic shifting, carbon wheels, the works. Hard gear to move, hopefully the guys at Trek get them back somehow. CT
  3. C

Disc brakes with gyro

BMX brake levers pull less cable than V-brake or cable disc brake levers. The Gyros made for BMX brakes will probably not have enough throw. An option is to run an Avid BB7 road caliper, which is the same as the BB7 mountain caliper but with a shorter throw arm for the lower cable pull, and some...
  4. C

Bleeding 3 week old Avid brakes?

Well no wonder bike shops are going out of business - this all seems pretty generous :) - Joel
  5. C

On most hydraulic brakes the bleed port is at the highest point in the system, if you rotate the lever right. On the Avid (more so the Elixir), the bleed port is in the side of the reservoir. Negatively pressurising the circuit by pulling on the upper syringe will cause the air above the bladder...
  6. C

The good thing about Avids is that they're very easy and quick to bleed. The problem is that they require a variation on the normal bleed technique in order to extract all the air from under the reservoir bladder. The Avid kit is pretty cheap, the instructions are good. Some Avids come OEM...
  7. C

2013 Parts Thread

Dear Mr Indica, Thanks for your letter. We agree that the bouncing in the rear end is a little outdated. To make up for it we have included with the new range a Reverb Stealth Post, we hope you enjoy it and appreciate your continued interest in our products, we agree that it looks great...
  8. C

Majura - How long until construction?

The area to be felled and thinned over the next couple of months is up on the noticeboard at Majura, basically a strip between Majura Rd and the first firetrail up the hill. The upper part of the pines should be unaffected by the construction. CT
  9. C

Fox 32 damper reinstall....spinning shaft

Wish I could have done that with one I broke at about 2Nm, but it belonged to a paying customer :( TALAS units are expensive... CT
  10. C

Fox 32 damper reinstall....spinning shaft

lock it out and compress it? It doesn't actually have to be very tight at all. About 5Nm, just enough to engage the crush washer. Luck, CT
  11. C

New bike - what are the essentials

In all seriousness, when looking at a new bike, the first thing is to make the right decision about the type of bike you need eg hardtail, duallie, AM duallie etc. When looking at parts/value, assuming the bike rides well for you and is available in the right size, judge the value of the bike...
  12. C

pivot bearing for a 2007 mongoose teocalli elite

The best thing by the looks of it will be a blind bearing puller like the one DIYmtb sells: http://www.diymtb.com.au/displayItems.asp?cid=4 The same kit is sold under many different names, eg through motorbike suppliers. DIY's price is pretty good compared, though. If there's any lip on...
  13. C

Lacing Wheelsets?

Doing a straight swap from one rim to another is easier than lacing from scratch. Just zip tie the new rim next to the old one, with the valve holes aligned, and swap the spokes over. Be sure to loosen the spokes evenly from the old rim before removing any entirely. Tensioning the new wheel...
  14. C

Anti-competitive retail policies - your thoughts?

A big thing that a lot of people don't consider when addressing pricing discrepancies - when you search for an item online you pick the cheapest search result, and you have the choice of thousands of stores all over the world. When you go to your LBS, you're shopping within a sample size of one...
  15. C

well i destroyed my derailer hanger were do i get a new billet one?

http://derailleurhanger.com/dh038.php If this one looks right get a couple. These guys ship pretty quickly, from the US. I think the hangers themselves are the same as the Wheels Manufacturing hangers, which are machined and available in Australia through SCV imports via a bike shop. The...