Recent content by DuncanFG

1. D

XRC1250 front hub 15mm conversion

Hello, I have some XRC1250 26" wheels in the parts bin that I decided I might use on a weight weenie build but they need to be converted to 15mm thru axle. Searching the internets and DT Swiss site I see no official way of doing this but the ID of the front bearings is 15mm. I'm thinking...
  2. D

VIC 2013 InterWinter Series. 4 races 4 Clubs /,May 5th,/ June 16 /,July 14 /Aug 11th

All personal preference, bumpy-bumpy stoppy-starty has its place, but in a race I like high speed flowy track. A good trail for me should be just as fast on a hardtail as a comfort bike with braking based on commitment rather than necessity (e.g. Stonefly). I have a trail bike for the former...
  3. D

VIC 2013 InterWinter Series. 4 races 4 Clubs /,May 5th,/ June 16 /,July 14 /Aug 11th

I was silly enough to finish in A grade. The only reason I didn't pull out was trying to maintain my 0% DNF average. My back brake failed on the start of lap 3 with the front following shortly. The last lap was the most entertaining as for each downhill I had a few choices: a) Full speed and...
  4. D

[Sold][VIC] Merida road bike (extra?) small

Item: Merida road bike, small. Location: Melbourne Item Condition: Very good Reason for selling: Make way for new bike Price and price conditions: $500 ono Extra Info: 18" seat tube. 505mm effective top tube (seat post centre to steerer centre). Shimano 105 groupset. Look Keo...
  5. D

Categories and Grading for XC and Enduro Racing

Personally, I don't think SS categories should be encouraged. When I first started racing in 2003 single speeds where the latest and greatest fad. I got so sick of people (my good friends mostly) going on and on about how cool their SS bikes were, not that I didn't agree they had merit, but...
  6. D

Rockshox duke damper diagram

Thanks Rone, that's the same one that was on the SRAM site. Not quite clear enough to see what order the spring washers go in. I'm getting my LBS to chase up Monza for an exploded view.
  7. D

Rockshox duke damper diagram

Hi, I'm trying to find a diagram for the damper on an old RockShox Duke 'All mountain' XC U-turn fork. Not sure exactly which year, but I'm guessing it's pre-2004. The closest I can find is a blurry shot on the sram tech docs website. I last serviced them years ago, now I need them to...
  8. D

[ACT] 2012 Australian Marathon Championships - Stromlo, 10th June

Will there be food/water supplied at the feed zones? We've been a bit spoiled down in Melbourne with fully catered events thanks to BigHillEvents.
  9. D

Do you miss the flickability and fun of FS 26ers

My figures were pretty rough, about 10% heavier from being 10% bigger, and 10% heavier to compensate for the 10% extra leverage at the contact point. The first bit is pretty obvious but the second is open for debate/testing.
  10. D

[ACT] 2012 Australian Marathon Championships - Stromlo, 10th June

Will many trails still be open at Stromlo this Sunday? I'm heading up with some Melbourne crew but didn't get my entry in in time.
  11. D

Of course, anyone can/should build a wheel strong enough to cope with what they ride. But how many people realise that for two wheels of the same materials and construction the 29" has to be almost 20% heavier than the equivalent 26" wheel to be as strong? It seems that people are learning...
  12. D

I guess to put it another way, I'm talking about people who race a lot so they already have 'top end' wheels. They go from 26" to 29" so they now have a roughly 10% heavier 10% weaker wheel. They tend not to notice the 10% drop in strengh, there is more flex but until the wheel breaks strength...
  13. D

My partner is only 5'2" and she was told she had to ride a 29" bike to keep the sponsors happy. As a technical rider I didn't think she'd like it, but she thought it was fine and has done all of her racing on it since. The other day she rode the old 26" 'B' bike and realised how much more 'fun'...
  14. D

Paul Van Der Ploeg just wrote a good honest blog about his thoughts on 26" vs 29" which seemed appropriate. http://www.paulvanderploeg.com/2012/05/great-wheel-size-debate-26-29-650b.html To me the most fun thing about mountain biking is carving up the trail by moving the bike around...
  15. D

M-985 XTR Race Wheels

I've raced on the previous model XTR wheels for nearly two years. I normaly destroy rear wheels and mine is still going strong. I think they are an excellent wheel. A few warnings though. If there is any play in the hubs fix them ASAP. They have proper bearings instead of disposable cartridge...