Recent content by el3ctrosurf

1. E

Mont 24 Hour. Tell us your stories

The start Some of the start..... http://vimeo.com/39291164
  2. E

Compact vs Regular groupset

Your knees will thank you! About a year ago I bought an Allez with compact crank and my knees love it. It just allows you to spin with a higher cadence up steep hills and you can stay in the saddle for longer. Definitely recommend it.
  3. E

Highland Fling - 2010

First full Fling Did the half 2 years ago and after labouring through the endless firetrail climbs after the middle drink station was looking forward to the fast last GU section but it had all changed! More single track and more grassy hills and it felt much longer and was definitely much...
  4. E

The Mont24 Hr - 2011, Mt Kowan

Finally entered! Took 3 goes with MTBA's system getting "unexpected technical problem", but finally we're entered. Despite copying details for MTBA member system still wanted $15 for day licence. Glad to be entered!
  5. E

Helmet Cam

Been reading the threads on helmet cams. Want to use it for mtb, snow, wake and surf. Like the design and look of the Contour HD but the consensus seems to be that the Gopro HD is better quality video. I was also toying with just buying something like an Olympus mju tough that does HD video...
  6. E

Mtn bike pedals for a road bike ... stupid or not?

+1 for the A520s Not wanting to buy a second pair of shoes I bought the Shimano A520s when I bought a roadie for commuting. They're great, easy to clip into despite being one sided and are comfortable on long rides and as other comments noted its easy to walk in mtb shoes. Recommended.
  7. E

Secondhand hardtail - what to buy?

A mate wants to buy a secondhand hardtail for up to about $400. He'll mainly use it on the road and the occasional firetrail. What should he be looking for? Giant Yukon, what else? Thanks
  8. E

iPhone Bike Computer/App

Altitude Continued playing with MotionX and using it on commutes. I know GPS is not accurate for altitude but I've surprised by the wide variation in altitude readings. Min/max altitude over exactly the same course over 3 rides has been 47m/142m, 35/283, 57/153.
  9. E

iPhone Bike Computer/App

Thanks but no the battery doesn't heat up. Generally, using it for voice and data I have no issues with battery life. I have found that GPS sucks the life out of the battery when I've used the GPS in the car.
  10. E

Where do you shop? Web or LBS?

I use both. I buy bikes and some parts at my LBS and pick up bits and pieces like clothing and consumables at online specials at a fraction of the retail price.
  11. E

iPhone Bike Computer/App

I wasn't so much worried about the accuracy - I was more concerned about how quickly it drained the iPhone's battery from nearly fully charged. I'll also give everytrail a try.
  12. E

iPhone Bike Computer/App

Nice looking bag - interested to hear how it goes.
  13. E

iPhone Bike Computer/App

Drained battery! I downloaded MotionX Lite and did the default installation on my 3Gs. Fired it up on Sunday morning at 7:30am and it worked a treat in the pocket of my Camelback. When I stopped the track 3.5 hours later it had completely drained my battery. There was enough power left to...
  14. E

Dirt Works NSW 100K 2010

Did the DW50 this year (my second race) and was a bit disappointed as there were long sections of tar/dirt road at the start and end. Looking forward to the DW 100 this year as everyone I speak to raves about the course.
  15. E

Go with Joe?

First 2 years It's great book and really good to understand the theory and principles of training. One of the things he regularly says in the book is that if you're in your first couple of years of riding (which I am) you just need to get out and ride as much as possible. Only then is it worth...