Recent content by Exie

1. E

When to buy

Hi Folks, So I've been dreaming of a new custom bike. Think Baum-like. Is there any value waiting till EOFY ? or Christmas to get a deal ? If the AUD goes up/down is that likely to afford me a better price ? Obviously, your going to pay a premium for custom bike any which way, but...
  2. E

Rotor wear

Thanks everyone, pretty much answered all my questions. I know I frigged up a set of pads when I contaminated them, so I think the shop might have sanded the rotor to clean it. Brakes seem ok for now, if you think its ok, I'll keep rolling with it. I'll make a note to get new pads + rotors...
  3. E

Rotor wear

Hi Folks, just wanted a quick opinion if this was normal or not. Usually, I just ride a set of pads/rotors until they get lips/grooves cut into them, but these have gone all weird, looks like I've been hacking at them with a screwdriver ?! Is it possible is was just crappy alloy they were...
  4. E

Cleat Position and Calf Pain

+1 for Steve Hogg I went mid-foot clear position and was amazed at how it completely de-activated the claves, they do nothing now. On the down side I think I lost a bit of power, but it solved a "hot foot" or morton's neuroma problem I've had for years. The only other suggestion I'll make...
  5. E

Home Servers

Just some other thoughts - Heat/Cooling Power Every time I build a box for home, I end up buying a UPS to protect it and keep it running. I used to run a Sun x4150 in the closet at home and it was costing a fortune in power. You also should think about heat and cooling, more fans =...
  6. E

Sola Sport ?

Similar experience here, I took forks to my LBS for a service, turned out to be a defect, took 6+ weeks to get them back. Next time around I'll buy a different brand. It's not about warranty or paying, I would have been happy to pay to get them fixed. For me the most annoying part of it...
  7. E

Sunglasses

Thanks for all the tips, it is difficult as its a personal thing really, finding the right shape and one that suits your riding style etc. Fortunately, I found my old Radar's! They had fallen beside the seat in the car, that tricky bit where the pillar is and I couldn't see them. So I...
  8. E

Sunglasses

Hey Burners, I know this no technically a "part", but need some help. It seems I've finally lost my much loved Oakley Radar M's. They were great glasses, sat on the nose nice, fit well around the eyes etc. Unfortunately, they dont make them anymore. I once tried some Tifosi and BBB's...
  9. E

Wifi extender

On the support note - I think its as complicated as you want to make it. My 74yo father set his up by himself and he's no brain surgeon. I know you *can* SSH into them and tweak every setting, but thats not necessary to pull it out of the box and get them working.
  10. E

Wifi extender

I'll second that. Though may have to shop around to get it within your budget. Fallback, Ethernet over power would work well. As for the Netgear unit though, it should be fine, I wouldn't believe that 1200Mbps, I think that's a theoretical limit, or at best in a controlled lab. The real...
  11. E

Maintenance - Noisy Drivetrain

Thats very interesting, I just went out to the shed and had a play with the B screw, if I went too far it didnt shift nicely into the 36t, so I backed it out until it still sifted up nicely, its now much further forward and closer through the rest of the casette. This made it slightly quieter...
  12. E

Thanks for the ideas, I have tried the barrel adjusters, but to no avail. It does happen in every gear (the noise). It does not seem to skip or anything. The whole drivetrain was replaced in July, so not that old. It's actually not a shimano chain, it's a KMC X10SL, looks bling and I haven't...
  13. E

Basic stuff I can handle, I can replace stuff and clean stuff. Prefer to take it to the shop for alignment things. Having said that, every time I take it to the shop I loose the bike for 2 weeks, so I prefer not to take there unless I have to.
  14. E

Hi Burners, I've noticed my drive train seems to be getting noisier, not sure if I should replace the chain, cassette, derailleur ? Perhaps its just an alignment problem ? Perhaps its just normal ? What do you you all think https://youtu.be/VP6k1yVdggE
  15. E

SRAM 1x11 Upgrade options

Hi Burners, Dont hate me, but I brought my first CX bike on the weekend. Whilst I'm enjoying it thus far, I am already questioning what my upgrade path is like for a SRAM RIVAL 1x11 I saw a video about SRAM RED e-tap, but at the time, it wasnt available as a 1x and I think the derailleur...