Recent content by maybolem

1. M

New bike from insurance claim?

Get one of the new anthem 27.5... I've been able to ride it.... and it is amazing. I suggest that you up size, and bring back the length of the stem a bit
  2. M

xtr 9mm fornt wheel to 15mm quick release?

Don't give up! Call up Dirtworks (they are a distributor), and get some advice about the DT Swiss range of conversion kits (such as the RWS skewers). Give it a go, they might just refer you to you local bike shop to confirm that you can convert the hubs (XTR and XT wheels should be good), but...
  3. M

Frame protection

Get in contact with Ausbike to get a list of their 2011 stall holders. He wasn't there this year, but last year there was a guy selling clear pre-cut frame protectors (stickers) that are individually suitable for a range of brands and styles. Look it up, and you'll be able to replace them when...
  4. M

Build Advice

I am currently doing this at the moment! I personally looked at carbon rigid forks from Syncros and Ritchey, which are good forks, but I settled on some DT Swiss XRR forks as they have a magnesium fork end (which I presumed is going to be more durable than the full carbon construction the the...
  5. M

Bike frame respray

Paintmybike or spray ya bike are the most common bike painters that usually pop into the conversation when it arises, but the best dedicated bike sprayer that I've seen is Sun Graphics. The detailing is amazing, but you would have to send you bike to VIC. Alternatively, any auto spray shop can...
  6. M

Broken Dropout

I see quite a few forks come through the workshop and quite often the cost of repairing and replacing parts negates its worth. Just go for for a new set of forks. The time and money you'll spend on the old forks (especially if it needs to be set off to a distributor to be fixed) just wastes your...
  7. M

Balance bikes for kids

+ 1 for firstbike balance bikes. Netti also do a really nice wooden balance bike that I occasionally see at my local bike shop. Nice colours
  8. M

SINGLE speed conversiomn

I just posted this in another thread, but just as relevant "The easiest and cost effective way is to: - keep the one of the front chainrings - work out what sized rear cog you would like (you can buy single cogs from most LBS) - get a bunch of small cassette spacers to line up the rear cog...
  9. M

Is it necessary to lube up a brand new mountain bike?

As a bike builder, I see what comes in a is prepared well. Giant is amazing at prepping their bikes, and mostly everything is ready to go out of the box, only the pedal spindles and seatpost need some grease. If you like going over and being pedantic with you bike, it is good to undo bolts such...
  10. M

Converting to singlespeed

The easiest and cost effective way is to: - keep the one of the front chainrings - work out what sized rear cog you would like (you can buy single cogs from most LBS) - get a bunch of small cassette spacers to line up the rear cog to the front chainrings for a straight chain - just put a...