Recent content by McBain

1. McBain

Highland Fling 100 Mile vs Oaks Ingar Andersson benchmark

Well, one friend that did it a few years ago took about 6hrs for OaksIngarAndosOaks a few weeks before the 100 mile fling, where he just got under the 9hr mark. The time cutoffs are pretty tight - if you can make them, you are on a pretty good time for the 100km, let alone 100mi. Plus you have...
  2. McBain

[NSW] Commutin' from Inner West (Leichhardt) to City via Lane Cove

Switch to walking mode and it does. Cooks River path is only worth it very early in the morning, or on a sunny arvo at a slow pace when drunk. Other than that you are too busy dodging runners and locals walking their dog for any worthwhile km. A solid commute from A to B: go Flood St, over...
  3. McBain

Wildside 2012

But that trick never works</Rocky>
  4. McBain

QANTAS Baggage Charges - New from 1 June 2011

As always, it might be worth carrying a printout of those regs with relevant bits highlighted. I know it has helped me in the past (and conversely I've been stung when they didn't know and wouldn't listen).
  5. McBain

Lunix: Ubuntu. Any users? What are your thoughts?

Horses for courses. Of the ~30 machines in our office (not counting the few dozen virtualized ones), there's a couple of Macs and only 2 boxes running Windows (one is just to drive a printer, and the other for an ancient bit of software that is Windows only). Everything else is running some...
  6. McBain

Farkers of days gone by

Now banished to the darkness of Can'tberra.
  7. McBain

Adjustable seat posts - Kind Shock vs Joplin.

Some 2012 updates for the Reverb as well, wonder when they'll land: http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/06/01/2012-rockshox-technologies-shocks-posts-carbon-new-travel-more/
  8. McBain

I'm in Love with a Tranny

Dirt Works are the Ibis importer.
  9. McBain

light shoes for XC/ Marathon MTB

Mavics are hella light. Pity the ones I bought (Razor?) don't work for me as they are a fairly narrow fit. :(
  10. McBain

Sold!

Will you split? How much for the spoke nipples?
  11. McBain

Music, the best sound ever made!

It would seem apparent you dont live in real music territory, up here 90% of music files are mp3's for a reason - they go further than anything else and are more reliable. When you listen to music in the remote corners of Arnhem Land then these things become important to your very survival...
  12. McBain

Basic Maths Help

I don't make any claim to my result being anything but dodgy, but I don't think you need to know total numbers because we've got percentages of total. As for respondents being the average of all the age brackets, that's absolutely dodgy, but we need to find some approximation without all the...
  13. McBain

Basic Maths Help

42.73 years. ;) What you are trying to do is find a weighted mean for a frequency distribution (although I could be very wrong - it has been a long time since I failed first year stats at uni :p ) So you could calculate it like: sum of (average age per group * respondents per group) / sum...
  14. McBain

Chainstay protection Velcro vs Rubber

Yup, and Framewrap is the chainstay stuff. I've got a roll of it that I really should get around to putting on.
  15. McBain

Camelbak Flow Meter - Anyone Tried It?

Yep, had one since Feb, and it seems to work as advertised. On long rides I use it to remind me how little I've been drinking rather than to track how much water I've got left. I'm pretty bad at drinking enough, so having a visual reminder of how much I've actually had does help. Yes, it...