Recent content by Middo

1. Middo

Bullying - again

I just want to thank FR Drew, Arete, S, NCR600 et al who have repeatedly taken the time to point out the flaws in 77's sociopathic ramblings, in a more succinct and measured tone than I could. Keep it up guys. Heaven help us all if he ever works his way into a position with corporate or...
  2. Middo

Tightarse people - share your stories here

The lawn-mowing contractor that comes to do the grass next-door. Do you think the lazy wanker could at least mow up to the boundary? The last time it was a good 2-3m from there, not even close. Must save him a heap of time...........
  3. Middo

Just another bug hunt, Sir

Thrips. Google them.
  4. Middo

Do I play God and kill three Fox puppies?

There's a bloody big NPWS office in Jindy. Go in there, ask to see a ranger or the pest control officer (who will have access to a gun). They will also educate you as to why foxes are so bad for our environment - and just how much effort goes into trying to control the massive problem of feral...
  5. Middo

Sooo..., how long will it be until the bombs start raining down in Iran?

I was watching on of those foodie type shows on SBS a few weeks ago, and apparently there are sizable Jewish populations in places like Shiraz. They didn't appear to be persecuted in any way, and openly identified themselves as Iranian first and foremost. Interesting trivia.
  6. Middo

Big things I hate - Psychology! Please read.

Did first year psych at uni. Loved it (though can't remember much of it today) Loads of conceptual waffle interspersed with interesting tidbits of info, girl:guy ratio about 100:1, 3hr multiple guess exams. Two of the easiest Distinctions ever....... What's not to like?
  7. Middo

Working at the Mines (unskilled and skilled jobs)

And if you'd taken that surveying traineeship, graduated, added a few years experience+registration, you could add 100K to those salary figures above. The rewards are there people, so don't be discouraged. You just have to do the hard yards first.
  8. Middo

To Rider_of_Fast: Try one of the smaller contract field staff companies, like Gnomic in Townsville, (or RME in Orange NSW). They supply field staff on a contract basis, which will let you be based in a larger regional town but get to work at a number of sites while gaining experience. They...
  9. Middo

Following on from MoR's great post. I'm a Geo who has spent 10+ years in the industry, so my 2cents. You might be lucky if both of you work on the same site, even luckier if you're both on the same roster. Realistically, I don't like your chances since you're both starting from scratch. You...
  10. Middo

The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

They do provide benefit - it's just not immediately quantifiable to a dollar value, so apparently worthless in your eyes. In your example re housing, the departments all have a role to play to ensure that work is conducted to appropriate standards - ie oversight. Yes it's annoying, but you'll...
  11. Middo

NSW - Mobile Speed Cameras

I'm not a fan of the ever increasing rules and penalties, but then I've even less impressed with a lot of the idiots on the roads out there. To look at it from the other side - how do you propose reducing the road toll? The government has to do something, otherwise we'd all be accusing them...
  12. Middo

The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

I never said his comment was unfair or untrue, the point is he can talk about (possible) policy, but use this line of argument to conveniently provide no detail or commitment to be held accountable to. This essential lack of concrete policy in my opinion does not provide a viable platform for...
  13. Middo

But Abbott hasn't got anything either. Listening to an interview on ABC this morning regarding the Timor gaffe, when pressed, his reply was that Opposition can't make firm arrangements, only the Government can. So yet again, he's just pointing the finger at how bad the other guys are, then...
  14. Middo

Soundtrack to TV ads

OK, I couldn't find a suitable thread, so; What's the theme song for the new Mazda 2 hatch ad on TV at the moment? Kind of a girl pop thing that's annoyingly catchy and has been stuck in my head for the last couple of days. Is it an actual song or just a jingle? Anyone?
  15. Middo

mining tax...

I just love how the mining companies keep sprouting the line that it will cost jobs. They are some of the worst offenders for laying people off, and they do it regularly. As soon as commodities prices drop, out come the hatchet men. My whole exploration department was axed in 2009, along with...