Recent content by mtb5150

1. M

Races for beginners?

+1 for this. I am an unfit MTB hack and joint WSMTB a few years ago and they are friendly helpful and the races are great fun on a good track.
  2. M

Alkaline Diet

THanks for the valuable feedback. I have a list of alkalising foods from the net, so it includes foods which are acidic but have an alkalising effect such as lemons & limes. Meat, beer & Diet Coke are going to be hardest to weed out,
  3. M

Alkaline Diet

Anyone know anything about this? It seems to make sense but it also looks a bit like a bit too obvious, if it was authentic, surely everyone would have been onto it years ago?
  4. M

Hazard Reduction Burn in Royal National Park Loftus Trails -COMPLETED-trails are OPEN

Bugger...I have never ridden Loftus or RNP and I have a half days work in Sutherland tomorrow and had planned to duck over there for a ride afterwards. I assume it would be off limits tomorrow?
  5. M

Rider etiquette sticky?

Dumb Question I know Here is a bit of a dumb question I am sure. I seem to be a perpetual beginner, racing XC with WSMTB, I used to generally finish at the rear of D grade. Lots of fun, not much fitness or skill. As a result I am VERY well versed at getting out of the road of faster riders 95%...
  6. M

Events, racing etc. How to get started?

+1 I am hopeless and unfit and at my local races (WSMTB) people couldnt be more welcoming and inclusive. At my first "race" one guy in B grade sped past me and gave me his name and asked me to see him after the race. When I did he told me that he could see that I was new and then went on to give...
  7. M

Spin Bikes - What model do you have and would you recommend it?

Another vote/suggestion here to use a trainer rather than a spin bike. I use a JetBlack fluid trainer with my MTB and I find it really good to use, it is easy and quick taking it off/putting it on. Resistance is as simple as changing gears. It feel svery similar to riding on the road. I...
  8. M

Giant Anthem X2 or suggest alternatives?

Thanks to all for the fantastic info
  9. M

Giant Anthem X2 or suggest alternatives?

I have had a great introduction to MTB over the last say 3 years. Absolutely loving it, getting a lot fitter and racing XC occassionally out at WSMTB. I am 43, getting fitter and generally tooling around at the back of the pack in D grade at WSMTB. I have been riding my first bike being a 2006...
  10. M

WSMTB Club XC round 6 - 11th September Blue Gum Lodge

Great day What a great day...I really enjoyed it. As always WSMTB put on a great event and the track was fantastic. I was really dreading it because for one reason or another I havent been on a bike for a month.Predictably I went badly with my lungs blowing out early. I came second last in D...
  11. M

WSMTB Club XC round 6 - 11th September Blue Gum Lodge

This rain will make the Palletive Care section interesting....
  12. M

WSMTB Blue Gum on Sunday

Ahhhh! Ahhh! dammit I just checked the calendar and realise that its at Yellomundee this week and Blue gum next month......sshoulda checked before posting. Did it change?
  13. M

WSMTB Blue Gum on Sunday

I have been looking forward to getting back to Blue Gum this year for the WSMTB round. I have mixed feelings now because a) I havent ridden/trained enough and b) the thought of "Palletive Care" in the wet does my head in. What effect is this rain going to have for Sunday?
  14. M

Advice: 2011 Giant Anthem x2, Giant Trance x2 or Scott Spark 50.

Loving this thread I am a very low level rider (race D grade at WSMTB) and unfortunately (due to divorce) I am about to come into a little money and will be looking into upgrading from my poor old Giant Yukon. This thread has been a great resource as i am looking at spending around AUD$2K on...
  15. M

Technique: Holding my breath/grips

I'm a novice and really trying to improve (with the limited track time I get) but I have noticed that I steer with my feet a LOT. I assume this is a bad thing? When I started I used to just tear into a corner, lean in and go for it. Until one dry day and I had the front wash out under me...