Recent content by noddy

1. noddy

UPDATE 28/11- Frame warrantied - Headset creaking/cracking noise, sending me insane!

Interested to hear how this goes for you, I have the same issue in my reign, suspect same problem. My story: Had lots of front end creaking/cracking, original CSU replaced (pikes), was an issue, creaking stopped but the cracking remained, can get it to silence for ~ a week by disassembaly...
  2. noddy

Twisted helmet straps

Hey all I have a delema. Bought a new TLD A1 helmet after destroying my old MET of many years, I can't for the life of me get the straps to sit flat and comfortable against my head. I want to know how to stretch/mould the straps so they lay flat, I assume they're nylon. Ive had it for 3...
  3. noddy

Which grease?

marine winch grease. its calcium thickened, so resists water better than most lithium greases and is thin enough for pawls/bike bearings etc. slikoleum for suspension.
  4. noddy

Tell me more about spokes

I've had the polar opposite encounter with Sapim, always had them either fatigue and snap at the the root of the thread or corrode where they cross each other and break there. Mind these are the equivalent Sapim spokes to DT Swiss champion, maybe they use a different material i the higher end...
  5. noddy

Shock Shaft Swap (Finished)

I've done this swap in my Commencal V3, I had the RC4 with 5/8th shaft and a flat Base piston and couldn't get what i was after, converted to 1/2 shaft and found that the bike chattered like mad/too much restriction at main piston/too much oil flow through main piston (went as far as removing...
  6. noddy

Cartridge Bearings - looking for someone who actually knows something

A few of the Mavic hubs use a bushing on one side of the freehub (hubside) and a ball bearing on the outer side. I've had a shithouse time with Shimano freehubs and have had a good run with DT swiss, starrachet ftw, so long as you're not after lightning engagement, good choice is your heavy or...
  7. noddy

Whisky!

+1 for the Talisker Storm, very niccce ATM I'm trying Glenfiddich Reserve Cask. Was a gift through duty free, not bad but not great either. I usualy go with 1-2 cubes of ice.
  8. noddy

Ride out wreck…

Snapped the arch on my Boxxer attempting one of the more stupid lines at gravitate last year. second run of the day so I was'nt bailing that early, rode the rest of the day with the snapped arch.
  9. noddy

Tyre Pressures

Some low numbers getting around, in rocky old townsville I run ~30f 40r, I still get pinches, plus I hate squirmy tyres.
  10. noddy

DHX RC4. A little explanation required...........PLEASE

Running full LS and HS comp sounds harsh, have you confirmed you have the correct springrate? The air pressure and BOC work together to control the boost valve, in essence air pressure has a preloading effect and will keep the bike pedaling and controlled, BOC controlls how the pressure ramps...
  11. noddy

QLD 2010+ boxxer lowers or 2005 888RC lowers.

Item/s: 2010+ boxxer lowers or 2005 888rc lowers. Location: To Townsville Price range/Willing to Pay: give me a number. Extra Info: bent 888 lowers, snapped boxxer lowers, have the upper bits of both forks in GC, so either set of lowers would get me out of trouble.
  12. noddy

Help

If you're apt enough to pull it apart and bleed it then it should be no issue to remove the existing seals and take 'em in to a place like SIL. shouldn't cost more than $10 or so if they're all orings (which they are in most shocks) but as mentioned, a shock that old and all the trouble it'll...
  13. noddy

Increasing 'snappy' response of hydraulic brakes

I made this chart comparing some systems when I was lookig for more powerful brakes. the "linearity" is not realy what you're after since its only applies at full engagement. dosn't take into acount servo wave etc. basicly is a chart of ultimate power only. still thought it might be useful though.
  14. noddy

QLD Sold

SOLD 10charssssss
  15. noddy

Hey from Townsville. New to mtb and Rotorburn

Head onto rockwheelers website if you havent, they're the local MTB club. As far as bikes are concerned you definatly sound like enduro to me, most of the xc bandits won't hit that creek gap. travel isn't the be all and end all, ~150mm can be rock solid and stiff or noodly, either way... If you...