Recent content by Pennoir

1. P

Freehub wearing out

Do you mean the freehub design is good and is sealed against dirt & water ingress? If thats the case I must have been unlucky twice.
  2. P

Cold water for the whole ride

Been freezing my camelbak bladder for years, freeze it full as long as there is some air in it for the ice expansion. It works well.
  3. P

Freehub wearing out

Thanks for all the detail Flow rider, your a legend. Without all the special tool I have never pulled one apart myself, never needed to either and have had pushies all my life. I am expecting this to end up being decided by the office of fair trading although the bike shop is quite...
  4. P

Freehub wearing out

No. My problem is the freehub bearings without doubt. It seems like there is no seals to stop water & dirt getting in or, I have been unlucky to get two defective ones that sneaked through the shitmano Quality control system.
  5. P

Freehub wearing out

Ok thanks. So if I choose to go that way a new wheel with sealed bearings and sealed freehub would be the go. I am inclined to ask for a refund or replacement bike. So, with shimano hub and freehub will only a Shimano cassette fit?
  6. P

Freehub wearing out

Just reread this whole thread, people are confusing me with "hub" and "freehub". I cannot see how the wheel hub can affect the freehub and cause it to wear out. As I understand the freehub is screwed into the wheel hub and has its own sealed bearing/s and the ratchet. The cassette then fits onto...
  7. P

Freehub wearing out

Side plate popped off and then the other side couldnt handle the tension and snapped off the pin of course.
  8. P

Freehub wearing out

1mm seems about the amount thats when you start having shifting problems I am finding. Shifting gets unreliable and quite dangerous on a MTB when you need it to change quickly and reliably, pretty sure this is why I broke a couple of chains, because the chain hadn't engaged properly even though...
  9. P

Freehub wearing out

All good mate. They had the hub completely apart when the freehub got replaced so thats why I dont understand the second one failing. FFS my $500 Mongoose hardtail has better gears than this "entry level" $2000 lemon. The LBS has already suggested a whole new wheel in order to upgrade the...
  10. P

Freehub wearing out

Thanks Mr Crudley :-) Interestingly, I've found with my motorbikes, when replacing the wheel bearings it far better to pop out one of the seals and pack it with good waterproof grease and put the seal back before fitting the bearings. Even the best quality bearings have the tinyest amount of...
  11. P

Freehub wearing out

Thanks everyone, will try getting another warranty replacement and lubricating before fitting.
  12. P

Freehub wearing out

The freehub has already been replaced under warranty but they should replace it again. I will try to make a deal with the bike shop to upgrade the hub & freehub. Would that mean I'd need a new cassette as well to fit the better spec freehub?
  13. P

Freehub wearing out

I weigh 102kg. How does the hub cause the freehub to wear out? If they are unsealed cone bearings its rather innappropriate for a MTB in my opinion, its not an expensive bike but I'd expect better on a $2000 bike!
  14. P

Freehub wearing out

My new bike, Avanti competitor S1, has been having problems shifting gears properly. The dealer and I worked out the freehub was worn out after about 20 hrs riding, the problem started after 10 hrs. A new freehub (Shimano Deore) fixed the problem but now the new one is starting to do exactly the...
  15. P

Avanti Competitor S1

Yes I get that.