Recent content by puffmoike

1. P

BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

I reckon so. And I’d also expect a bike to have more carbon near the bottom bracket of the downtube than in the middle of the top tube. I’ve got four Thule 598s, which replaced two 591s, which have carried lots of different carbon MTBs, and a few different carbon road bikes, over ten years...
  2. P

Specialized Stumpjumper

The current Pinkbike Field Test includes Stumpjumper EVO. Review isn’t up yet, but surely will be within a week, and just from watching the reviews they’ve published so far it’s clearly Mike Kazimer’s favourite...
  3. P

BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

I had a couple of second hand 591s for five years. Now have four 598s on my VW Passat wagon. The 598 design is much better in lots of ways (bike stays upright before clamp closed, clamp surface more mouldable, wheel clamp mech better, wheel clamp tray stronger (required!), easier to keep wheel...
  4. P

It has.... Been a while....

Yeah, it’s a tough time to source a bike. And no doubt a frustrating/diabolical time to be an LBS owner, when you’ve got customers ready to buy and you’re unable to offer them anything. Is Trek is second hand? Or is it older floor stock? Obviously any bike is better than no bike, and you know...
  5. P

That has the same geometry as my 2017 Fuel EX 9.8. Which means 67° head angle in the low setting and a slack effective—and very slack actual—seat tube angle by 2021 geometry standards. By comparison Trek’s new Top Fuel (a 120mm XC-derived trail bike, which is on the milder side of the current...
  6. P

A Focus what? I don’t think of Focus as a prestigious brand in Australia, and you don’t see many of them out on the trails. But for what it’s worth Focus are owned by a Dutch conglomerate, Pon Holdings, who also own Cannondale, GT, Santa Cruz, Cervélo and probably others. Biggest bike company...
  7. P

Probably Trek’s biggest dealer (?) in Melbourne currently has stock of medium Slash 7, but not of small. https://cyclesgalleria.com.au/products/trek-slash-7-2022
  8. P

Just looked online and in size Medium Canyon are quoting late Jan/early Feb for the $4649 (+$200 shipping) AL 6 (aluminium) and the $5349 (+$200) CF 7 (carbon). The $3899 (+$200) AL 5 is ‘coming soon’ in ‘Autumn’. No idea how accurate these delivery dates will prove to be. If you like to...
  9. P

I suppose the point I was trying to make is if you’re coming from a 26” DH background don’t make the mistake of underestimating the capability of modern ~150mm bikes. I went from a 2008 26” Giant Trance X to a 2017 29” Trek Fuel EX (both nominally 130mm trail bikes) and the difference in...
  10. P

Yeah I probably didn’t read your original post carefully enough. [emoji6] Listen to the people in this thread who know more about DH than I do (limited to watching WC DH on Redbull TV the past five years, and reading nearly bike review on Pinkbike, Enduro-MTB, and Flow) Don’t expect to find...
  11. P

You lucky bastard. You live in Australia’s MTB Mecca. Just in case you’ve haven’t been paying any attention check out videos of Derby and Maydena to see why the rest of us wish we lived in Tasmania. With trails like that only a few hours away you are almost certainly going to want a capable bike...
  12. P

I’m no engineer but I’d guess platform (EDIT: VERTICAL [emoji15]) would cause less stress over corrugations, potholes, etc (primarily vertical forces) but more under emergency braking (horizontal forces)
  13. P

Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

Melbourne (you posted whilst I was writing the screed above)
  14. P

OP here. Thanks to those people trying to get the thread back on track ;) Given there has been unprecedented interest in this thread, and not a single suggestion for an alternate forum, I'm going to provide a bit more detail and hope it encourages a couple more posts like the last few. Mate...
  15. P

EDIT: Well this thread quickly took on a life of its own. If you've got substantive suggestions about configuring an Isuzu cab chassis for a builder I've posted a more specific rundown of the situation and some questions here, in the bowels of the comments ;) _ A builder mate has just bought a...