Recent content by Rich the Stitch

1. R

Help your Queensland brothers - Vote in poll

Quote from Dean0 on MTB Dirt website Lets show those anti-riding nazis what we think.
  2. R

Makara Peak Mountain bike Park Wellington NZ

Great article and even better photos. They sure bring back some memories.:rolleyes: I found that the ride to the peak requires a fair amount of fitness. I think that's why nothing gets vandalised. It also adds some challenge to the higher trails when the cloud cover descends. And I...
  3. R

bring back penny farthing bikes i say!

Hilarious photos. I think the guy crashed because of the dodgy lacing pattern in the front wheel. Forget a bar-spin, how hard would it be to do a manual on a Penny Farthing? Or try riding through some tight twisting single-track.
  4. R

Newb clipless: SPD vs Eggbeaters vs Time

Interesting experience mike. I've found the opposite. I tried to clip in when I had an inch of thick sticky clay on the sole of my shoes, and another inch of clay coating the pedals. I thought - Times are supposed to be good at mud clearance, lets see how they cope with this. I didn't expect...
  5. R

Shimano Stuff

Step 1: Go out and ride your bike as much as you can Step 2: Replace broken or worn parts Go to step 1
  6. R

Golden Orb Spiders

On night rides I sometimes ride through webs when they are only half built. Went through a golden orb one coasting slowly. I swear I felt the bike slow down a bit and then heard the web snap with a ping!
  7. R

Rider comfort v's low weight/efficiency

I used to ride SPDs and didn't like them. I switched over to Time pedals and couldn't believe the difference. The Times click in and out just at the right time - they are easy to get into, and easy to get out of, without coming out at the wrong moment. I used to unclip when I was about to...
  8. R

How to Manual, Wheelie and Endo

These tips have been good. I can now wheelie quite well and am working on manuals. I am having issues with steering tho. When I wheelie, the reason I have to stop is mostly because I am going to run into something. How do I turn with the front wheel off the ground? If I lean sideways I...
  9. R

How much weight would you sacrifice?

If the chain direction is reversed then you could just use a standard derailleur sitting above the cassette. No need to have a separate chain tensioner. Also, pedalling backwards would be a lighter solution than reversing the chain direction with gears.;)
  10. R

New To Xc-from Dh

To build the fitness, it helps to get plenty of miles into the legs. It doesn't have to be fast. Maybe commuting to work or the shops. A long ride once a week (as well as your normal riding).
  11. R

Whaling

You're just speculating that people want to protect whales because of anthropomorphasising of whales (does this mean that people find them cute and cuddly?) Some see it as wrong to kill endangered (or recently endangered) species. Others see the objectives as wrong - there isn't much of a...
  12. R

Whaling

Some of them are - the humpbacks for example. Unless you're plankton.
  13. R

The effect of a crash on a helmet

Website with more info There's some info about helmet repalcement on helmets.org