Recent content by RichJS

1. R

ACT 2020 Giant Anthem 29er 2 medium

Item: 2020 Giant Anthem 29er 2 Location: Canberra - the Peoples' Republic of the Inner North Item Condition: Brand new Reason for selling: 29ers aren't my thing. I'm a luddite who wants his 26" Anthem back. Price and price conditions: Around $3k seem reasonable? It's $3800 RRP and some shops...
  2. R

Progressing from XC to AM/END/DH in Canberra

A few times since the trails were formalised, yes. I meant that the DH runs are called "corridors" which particuarly in the rock gardens can be several metres wide and so offer a large variety of line choices. IE while there's obvious A/B/C lines, arguably there are some choices that are even...
  3. R

Progressing from XC to AM/END/DH in Canberra

Maybe that the serious features are worth a stop and a quick wander, to learn the lines. Otherwise, mostly repeating everyone else: Touching Cloth / Rocksanne / Downhill at Majura - and maybe Barry aiming to go . Short and Sharp at Stromlo. I guess Three Amigos has a couple of tough tech...
  4. R

Shimano Gearbox (I'm excited)

I know how to move 250+ grams off the cassette and towards the centre of the bike, whilst increasing the range of gearing from 400-500% to 600% or more. It's called triple chainrings and a front derailleur. Would still love to buy a rohloff with STI-compatible electronic shifting. E14 looks...
  5. R

Squirmy Tyres

Trek website says 2019 x-cal 9 say 23mm rims, so you're presumably measuring the outside. Minions have very large knobs. Consider some more-XC-oriented tyres for the XC bike? Ikon / Ardent / etc? You're probably just getting used to MTB tyres. I'd be running 10 PSI lower in the rear, even...
  6. R

Customer Service Warning

Yes, but consumers have the remedy of recovering costs from the manufacturer - so it's in the manufacturer's interest to have their retailers sort out any problems. https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees#who-to-claim-a-remedy-from I would put it in in...
  7. R

What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Told a couple of people carrying POC helmets that they were $20 cheaper at pushy's online and they should ask for a price match, which apparently they got. I guess $7 socks are OK but everything else out the front seemed like uninspiring crap. Maxxis tyres for $50 were OK, think I got the...
  8. R

Boxxer angle clamps?

Yeah, got the drop crown on - the headtube is fairly tall. I just realised that my spare shock isn't shorter eye-to-eye, just less stroke/travel. Ooops. :rolleyes: Looks like BB height is just under 370mm currently. Will have to figure out how much I want to lower it and decide (ho hurry)...
  9. R

Lord of the Squirrels

So the climbing trail on the loop, Into The Mystic, is wide (like 1m wide-ish) and smooth - that's what makes it especially climbable. The better half and I rode it around the time it officially opened in 2017. We had solid but definitely not elite levels of bike fitness .. There are...
  10. R

Boxxer angle clamps?

The regular one that came with the fork. Bike is a small '04 BigHit Expert. Sitting unridden for a while, I'm thinking of slowing improving in over the next couple of years. Hoepfully in a few years the kids will be thrashing it. So I changed from supposedly 555mm a2c on the factory Junior...
  11. R

Boxxer angle clamps?

I have an old DH bike that's running 2010 Boxxers. It'd be nice to slacken out the forks maybe 2 degrees from current HA of about 65.5 degrees, which would also drop the BB a few mm which is nice - but the old EC34 headtube rules out an angleset, which would probably do 1 degree adjust anyway...
  12. R

Shimano ispec II Spacer

Anyone else got an I-Spec II spacer, or know where to buy one? I'm in the same boat.
  13. R

Little Things You Hate

LTIH: Shims, and Giant's love of them - particularly combined with their leftover stock of 1.25" stems. Seriously guys.. Selling me a 2019 bike with normal 1.5-1.125" tapered fork, a 1.25" stem and top cap, and a 1.125-1.25" shim is just lame. So I can't properly move spacers from below to...
  14. R

Bargain buys thread

Actually, it didn't. Customs still aren't collecting GST on shipments under $1000. The problem is a number of sellers, marketplaces and forwarders overseas have been convinced to charge you GST on behalf of the Aus Govt for items destined for Australia, regardless of the price. Sellers...
  15. R

Pinkbike Return to Earth challenge

And if you log a ride every day, that gives about a 1 in 130 chance of winning a daily prize pack - which are each a solid $500 worth of kit. Want to place bets on 30 day streak riders at the end? My guess is 1800. I have a 400m segment thru a park 1km from home. Half my ridelogs have only...