Recent content by sbm

1. S

Douche Listing of the Day - Post them here.

No, I won't just let people enjoy spending their money on nice things. Buying a bicycle that expensive is a douche thing. You could have bought a perfectly extravagant $7,000 bike, and spent the other $13,000 dollars on your family (or straight up, why not a charity for starving blind amputee...
  2. S

Little Things You Hate

Talking about pump tracks on the Burnie Tas thread...I looked up whatever happened to the Sydney inner west pumptrack at Camdenville Park. 2013 bmx pump track approved. 2015 postponed due to uncertainty about Westconnex proposal 2016 Westconnex compulsorily leases park for a construction...
  3. S

Is there an alternative to FiveTen Freerider Pro?

Also, rock climbing, like MTB, has fking exploded. There's like four guys in the country that do resoles and an endless supply of gumbys skidding their La Sportivas to death all over rough indoor bouldering walls.
  4. S

Is there an alternative to FiveTen Freerider Pro?

Big John's always had a rep with my climbing mates for "casual" service...for starters they're a niche sports store, in a weekend destination town for that sport, that's closed most of the weekend! To be fair they just moved locations too, it was all a bit of a mess last time I dropped by with...
  5. S

WATER PROOF COMMUTER BACK PACK

Second this. Covers don't really work, they have a hole by design. The hardcore bushwalkers I know put a dry bag inside the backpack, and then actually crimp eyelets into the bottom so water can drain out around the dry bag.
  6. S

Confessions from the fuckwits

Got a new chain, sprocket and grips for my BMX. First thing the cranks need an 8mm Allen wrench and I can't find one - off to Bunnings. Unfortunately they don't sell single wrenches apparently. I buy a whole set (a good excuse at least as the random draw of leftover $5 Trojan and Ikea allen keys...
  7. S

Frame protection debate

Confession time. When I bought my first new mountain bike (alloy dual suspension), I was so embarrassed at having spent such an obscene amount of money on a bike, I actually got a small rock and added some scratches on purpose and claimed I bought it second hand. Though I have to say these...
  8. S

Complimentary exercise?

Climbing is my first, and other sport that I love. I'm not sure how great it is as a complimentary exercise though to be honest. It might also just lead to adrenaline overdose if you're trying to push your limits both sports at the same time. It is a little funny to hear that trad climbing...
  9. S

MTBA Trail Guidelines

My personal benchmark for an advanced trail, is that it becomes difficult just to walk down. That is, getting off and pushing won't necessarily save you, and if you don't ride something you might have to carry, finagle, or lower the bike past a feature, or go completely around. I think my...
  10. S

MTBA Trail Guidelines

As the skiing joke goes, there's three types of double black diamond trails. There's double black diamonds, with an annoying young guy at the bottom claiming this trail would only be a single black diamond where they come from. There's double black diamonds, with an annoying young guy at the...
  11. S

Bike storage shed ideas...

Currently I'm living in an apartment and we keep the bikes inside. It's been alright with a "bike tree" style rack like this https://www.99bikes.com.au/storage-2-bike-tree-stand In the previous apartment we had a garage under the apartment block. I put a piece of wood up with two Dynabolts in...
  12. S

Who's had bunion/s

Yeah I'm gunna second that it sounds more like a sprained toe than a bunion, which takes years of poorly fitting shoes to develop. I have a mild bunions, with a worse one on the foot that is slightly larger, from a decade of brutally tight rock climbing shoes. I picked up a pair of these toe...
  13. S

Rotorburn strava

Oh don't worry, I've done some local BMX racing, my ego has been obliterated, I'm completely at peace with coming dead last, and being slower than both the little kids AND their parents.
  14. S

Rotorburn strava

I got to the point where I assumed most of the top times were invalid one way or the other. In some ways I think this is partially a community service on Strava's part as maybe it will help curb the worst of kom and cup chasing hooning on trails. For myself I'd maybe pay, at half of what...
  15. S

Thredbo - all you need to know

I'm looking forward to riding the gondola. Over on the ski.com.au forum they spotted a development application with the next trail There was also another image that has proposed trails that haven't had DAs lodged yet