Recent content by Sekt

1. Sekt

MTBA Trail Guidelines

That's pretty standard risk management.
  2. Sekt

MTBA Trail Guidelines

Newly updated, much more in line with modern expectations now. Still a real lack of clarity in the wording of some stuff though. https://www.mtba.org.au/wp-content/uploads/CCJ18482-Revisions-to-TDRSGuidelines-October-2020-FA-Web-Section-10-Singles.pdf
  3. Sekt

MTBA Trail Guidelines

The revised TDRS can be found here: https://www.mtba.org.au/wp-content/uploads/CCJ18202-Revision-of-Aust-MTB-Guidelines-Section-10-V3.pdf I haven't had a chance to look through it, so I'm not sure of the changes made, although I notice they've adopted your styling for the easy/intermediate and...
  4. Sekt

First car for mtb

No mention of a Rav4 in here? Not sure about the newer ones, but my 2007 has heaps of room, and the back seats fold flat so you can sleep in it if you needed to. Chuck a rack on the roof or the towball and you're sorted.
  5. Sekt

MTBA Trail Guidelines

For those with an interest in trail difficulty (and building) guidelines, the Whistler Trail Standards may make for good reading. Put together by RMOW, it seems they have become the go-to guidelines for trail building throughout British Columbia over the years...
  6. Sekt

Trail advocacy, share you wisdom!

Yeah, Brent has some great knowledge. A couple of colleagues caught up with him while on a "work" trip a couple of years ago and got some valuable insights from him, and the podcast really covers a lot of great topics. Is it something particular about Bike Taupo that appeals?
  7. Sekt

Trail advocacy, share you wisdom!

A thread for the unsung heroes of the mountain bike scene, those actively advocating for improving their trail networks! I know there are lots of people out there doing great things for their local scene, but I can't seem to find a central discussion point for it, so here we go. I'm curious if...
  8. Sekt

MTBA Trail Guidelines

Thanks for the reply! We actually decided against adopting the in-between ratings (though I like your solution), as we felt they added an unnecessary level of confusion for anyone who isn't already familiar with the simpler five-rating system. We also wanted to be able to integrate it with our...
  9. Sekt

MTBA Trail Guidelines

Well, people who work for the organisation who manages the land think they're too tame at least! We need to find a solution that works from a risk management point of view, and the national guidelines don't allow us to do that without either absolutely restricting where we build, or...
  10. Sekt

MTBA Trail Guidelines

I should clarify that I'm approaching this from a land manager's perspective, rather than an outside or advocacy group. So risk analysis is part and parcel of what we do, and is why this quesiton is being raised. The idea behind a standard (or guidelines in this case) should be that they're...
  11. Sekt

MTBA Trail Guidelines

Yep, I agree on all those points. I understand that distilling all the nuances of trail ratings own to an easily digestable and understandable set of criteria is very difficult, and quantifying things like speed and the flow/connection of features is a near impossible task. However, it's...
  12. Sekt

MTBA Trail Guidelines

The trail exposure is dealing with the "Firm and level fall zone on either side of the trail corridor", meaning the side-slope of the terrain the trail travels through. So it's not impacted by the gradient of the trail itself. Which means that you could build a 3m wide trail at a very gentle 2%...
  13. Sekt

MTBA Trail Guidelines

Hi all, Interested in some thoughts and discussion on the "Level of Trail Exposure" mandatory criteria that is part of MTBA's Trail Difficulty Rating System (conveniently found in PDF format here). These are considered the new standard for trail building in Australia, but the exposure criteria...
  14. Sekt

Tasmania - the secrets unlocked...

I think there's a bit of a miconception about how local government works from an officer level. There's a possibility that the council officer handling the strategic planning is answering to someone further up the line who isn't interested in risk, or throwing money at an unknown, and they just...
  15. Sekt

Tasmania - the secrets unlocked...

Not sure if it's been posted here, but Jenni from Shredding Betties has got a great series of podcast episodes talking to several people involved in Hobart's MTB Master Plan. I've only had time to listen to Tom & Alex and Roy's episodes so far, but they're definitely worth a listen! To be...