Recent content by Smythie

1. S

Giant Reign Chainguide solution?

My solution to keeping a dual ring So far I have fitted a clutch derailleur (XT shadow plus) then removed the big ring. Then I drilled and tapped a new M6 hole in the derailleur mount which allows me to run the front derailleur as low to the front rings as possible. So far so good. No...
  2. S

First of Giants 27.5"

My LBS tried to tell me that Giant and Transition (what they stock) weren't doing the 27.5 thing. Even though everyone has seen the protos on the web. Even the owner jumped in with negative comments about the wheel size. I guess it was because they were fully stocked with 29ers and some...
  3. S

Nail in the Coffin of 26'' ?

Yes, finally the balls to speak the truth. P.
  4. S

which bike to take to rotarua?

It'll be cold! Now that you have the bike choice sorted, (Id take the Meta too) get some comfortable cold weather riding gear. Sounds like you will be there around July or August. I have been a few times, once in August for the 06 Worlds and dude it was cold. (cold for a Brizzy boy anyway). I...
  5. S

D.U. Bushings.

Are you bottoming out much? Just had a thought about the 2011 Reign. If it is the same as mine I was having heaps of trouble setting up my rear shock. From new i was bottoming out all the time. I was setting up with the correct sag but kept blowing through the travel. If you are bottoming out a...
  6. S

D.U. Bushings.

Try the Needle rollers! Mate I own a 2011 Reign and was having the same issues. I bought the Needle Rollers from Real World Cycles, fitted them myself and my bike has been sweet ever since. That was before the Fox bushing was available. So id say i have had them fitted for more than 8 months...
  7. S

All Mountain Tyres

Thanks guys, I'll try lower next time out. 30-55 is on the side wall so I just started near the bottom of the recommended. Out of interest who sticks to the recommended pressure. I have a mate swears his tyres work better up near 38psi. He reckons the manufacturer knows a bit more than we do...
  8. S

All Mountain Tyres

Fron Nevegal to Nobby Nic I have just bit the bullet and bought a pair of 2.25 Nobby Nics UST EVOs triple compound. Figured the UST would have a thicker side wall and i wanted tubeless anyway. I replaced my tired old UST DTC Nevegals They where getting pretty worn, esp rear. The NN went on no...
  9. S

Retro Cannondale V build

loving it. Looks great and loving the colour. Its bringing back memories of my old 2000 model Jekyll SL900 i had for almost 4 yrs.. I loved that thing and really regret selling it.
  10. S

Sam Hill signed with CRC Nukeproof for 2013

Dude, without going off topic; that is exactly what Schumacher did. He left Benetton who were the fastest and with whom he had won 2 championships, for Ferrari who at the time where at best a midfield team. He then set about turning that team into winners. He did admittedly take a few key...
  11. S

2013 Giant bikes..

I see they are back to the threaded BB on the Reigns. Allowing you to use a bash guard or chain guide again. My reign 0 is stuck with the press fit and no way of using a guide with 2 chain rings.
  12. S

The "I just don't like those XXXXX brand bikes" thread

Ok then, I'm wrong. Maybe i'll start liking the Jekyll. Thanks for that. The Genius still looks flex though. P.
  13. S

Pull Shocks! I'm not digging the engineering of a pull shock. I was stoked to hear Cannondale was bringing Back the Jekyll but when I seen that is was a pull shock I was just not interested. Here's what i think. A shock's main enemy is contaminants getting in past the seals. A regular shock...
  14. S

Faux Bar Linkages. I could never bring myself to pay money for what seems to me to be K-Mart engineering (Merida, Kona, Transition etc.) Even though I reckon the new Transition Covert looks awesome I couldn't pay that much for basic suspension design. I don't have a specific brand I love but I...
  15. S

long travel with xc geometry?

Rocky Mountain Altitude might have the angles your looking for with a fairly steep seat tube angle but still keeping a relaxed HA. They call it "Straight Up" geometry. P.