Recent content by sufferthesinglespeed

1. sufferthesinglespeed

Derby...yet another thread

Hi all, been off the boards for a while. Still managing some bike time but it's been a shitty wet winter in the SW of WA. Good for farmers and such, not so much for divers or bikers. Which is me, without the farming. Any way...have booked a trip to Tassie to ride trails, Derby particularly but...
  2. sufferthesinglespeed

Why did you build your bike ?

I'm a tinkerer. Can't help it. It is always more expensive to build rather than buy a complete. Unless you're re-using parts from previous bikes. But there's a satisfaction from putting a bike together that is hard to beat. Plus my kids are genuinely impressed when a frame becomes a complete...
  3. sufferthesinglespeed

18' Enduro

Love that colour. Looks mint. They aren't really all that heavy anyway. Mine is old(13/14) but still comes in around 14kg or so. Not exact on weight but it's not silly heavy for being a beast and alloy.
  4. sufferthesinglespeed

2018 World Cup discussion

Minnaar is an absolute professional. Just so calculating. Probably something similar to Alain Prost in terms of preparation. I'm a big fan of his. Just comes across as a good guy and can really ride. If not for his tyre/wheel issues he was a real chance this year. And he always says it "Win...
  5. sufferthesinglespeed

AM 2016 Specialized S-Works Enduro 650b

Can be a quick return that's for sure, I've got my technique sorted though. Kind of catch it with my hamstring/thigh rather than get the boys in the way. Air pressure is crucial. And it's not a lot of pressure in there. Have got a KS on the other bike and it's very nice to use and infinite...
  6. sufferthesinglespeed

AM 2016 Specialized S-Works Enduro 650b

I've got a 2013/14 model and it would be around the same weight I'd say. The wandering front end on climbs is a thing, but like you say, the descent more than compensates. Am a big fan of them, so much more bike than I need for around here but it's a beast. I got rid of the Formula brakes...
  7. sufferthesinglespeed

What hardtail frame- 150(ish)mm, 650b

Had a BFe too. Great bike, super versatile.
  8. sufferthesinglespeed

What hardtail frame- 150(ish)mm, 650b

Nukeproof Scout Not sure if they're still going cheap through CRC but can recommend. Works great with a 150mm and room for biggish rubber in the frame. EDIT: they're onto the 2018 models, not the bargain they were and now gone boost too. The Marley looks good for the coin though
  9. sufferthesinglespeed

Replacing old school 3*9 drivetrain with newer gear

This is my set up. Got Zee RD and shifter in wide range 10spd. Cheapo NW chainring, working fine so far. And have run the same set up on both kids bikes when they had geared bikes.
  10. sufferthesinglespeed

DJ Shine bright like a diamond.

Comes up a treat. Upcycled it nicely. BMX cranks are good for these style bikes. Son's P2 is running Stolen cranks, which were in the older son's previous Brooklyn Machine Works. The BMW is a candidate for the same treatment. Heavy as hell though.
  11. sufferthesinglespeed

Derby in Tassi

Not lazy. Need to make the most of it. Tasmania is a long trip from WA This is shuttles with Vertigo? Seems like they are the choice down there? Will be hiring a bike from them anyway I'm guessing. thanks for the advice.
  12. sufferthesinglespeed

Derby in Tassi

Two maybe three days in Derby, what's the best way to get as much in as possible? Looks like Atlas and Blue Tier are must do's but there seems to be much much more to ride. Will absolutely be doing shuttles but how many shuttles would you expect in a day of riding? I know the trail choice is...
  13. sufferthesinglespeed

what would rocket man ride ? why a cotic rocket of course

Owned my BFe for almost three years and there were no issues with rust.
  14. sufferthesinglespeed

what would rocket man ride ? why a cotic rocket of course

Can recommend a BFe. Make a nice stablemate for the Rocket. Guy who bought mine is possibly looking to sell. Large frame, well loved. Versatile frame. Does it all really, depends on the fork you want to bolt on basically. If my son had shown some starch I would have kept it for him.
  15. sufferthesinglespeed

Fitness or skill ?

This exactly. Have headed out with intentions of doing hill repeats or or aerobic sessions. Not happened yet. Have never managed to actually "train" on my bike. It always just ends up being a ride. Sometimes short and sharp after work or a long ride on the weekend or day off. Bikes are...