Recent content by sukebe

1. S

New bike, steerer too short.

Really wanted to like Your Large Hill as it is so close to home but every experience has been a bad one. More recently have discovered a new store that carries amazing bikes that sit on the summit of the mtbing world, but unfortunately their business practices are way down in the deep gullies. I...
  2. S

Mountain biking in Japan

I lived in Japan from 2001 to 2005 and have travelled back annually since (married a local ). I've been taking a bike with me for the past 6 years but have found myself gravitating towards road ride adventuring. While I'm usually only in the Kansai region (Osaka, Kyoto, Nara), ive found the...
  3. S

Buying bikes from overseas

Thanks for the responses guys. So for a $3500 bike I should probably budget around $4k. A bike that is on clearance sale here for around $6k. Hmmmm.
  4. S

Cool. What did the import fee consist of? Just 10% gst or other costs too? The threshold is still $1000 for physical goods AFAIK, i believe it's set to be abolished later this year.
  5. S

Anyone bought a bike online from overseas for (significantly) more than the $1000 threshold for GST exemption? Did you make it under the radar or did you get stung for GST? If so, how did you get charged? Does the courier company get billed and pass it onto you? Or is it more complex than that?
  6. S

Wheel building - question from first timer regarding ERD

Thanks flow rider, that calculator is fantastic! Punched all the numbers and got a consistent ~1mm difference for the two rims. Based on that I'm gonna take the punt on rims only and use my existing spokes.
  7. S

Wheel building - question from first timer regarding ERD

So I've got some enduro wheels that I'm thinking to swap out the rims for something lighter for XC duties. The current rims are dt Swiss E512 with ERD OF 562, the rims I'm looking to change to are Easton Arc 24 with ERD of 558. My question is, will I be able to reuse the spokes from the current...
  8. S

Yeti SB5C sizing question

Im in Brunswick, Vic. Are you in Eaglemont between Ivanhoe and Heidelberg? Any chance i could meet you on the yarra trails to get a feel for size on your bike?
  9. S

Yeti SB5C sizing question

This is a call out to all Yeti SB5C owners. How do you find the sizing compared to other bikes? I tend to fall between L and XL sizing though my last few bikes have been XL. I'm looking to possibly purchase a used SB5C but im not sure about the size and it is interstate so i can't try it out...
  10. S

Sight C7.2

I have the same bike, will hit 1 year ownership next week. I found the stock wheels and tyres heavy and sluggish, carbon rims (Nextie 26 ID) and lighter tyres made a huuuuge difference in acceleration out of corners and general "whippyness". Have had a real love hate relationship with...
  11. S

Cane Creek DBCoil INLINE - anyone had experience?

All good, appreciate the detailed feedback! The only reason I'm even considering it is because my db inline has failed 3 times and CC have offered me the warranty upgrade. They suggested that my weight and (apparent) riding style would better suit the coil inline. Otherwise I'll just continue to...
  12. S

I'm guessing you are a lightweight? Yep, climb switch worked well, just nowhere near as well at the Monarch (std aircan, not debonair). Even with three large volume reducers, less sag than stock and a tune with a focus on climbing and being more 'poppy' on descents, it still sat too deep in...
  13. S

I'm a 40yo XC/trail rider on a XL Norco Sight, I ride the bike hard but well within its designed purpose and my DBInline shock keeps failing (note I am ~90-92kg with gear). Its in for warranty again, 3rd time this year. As a result of failing 3 times, Cane Creek have offered me one of their new...
  14. S

Suspension gurus, your advice please.

I'll second trying out the Monarch (the used one for sale). I'm 92-95kg geared up and always has issues with low speed mid-stroke wallow with the stock Fox RP23 on a Giant Trance. The rear would bog down and hang on slow uphill undulations. This issue was dramatically improved with a Monarch...
  15. S

Pivot Mach 5.7

I owned a Mach 5.7 for a few years, I still wish sometimes I hadn't sold it as it was maybe my favorite bike I've owned. I ran it with 140 and 150 and prefered the 140. With the 150 fork it was marginally better descending but it made ripping singletrack less engaging and the steering floppy in...