Recent content by The Duckmeister

1. The Duckmeister

Am I the new Moorey?

More details please!
  2. The Duckmeister

Do i need specific jockey/pulley wheels for older 9 speed X0 derailleur?

Some are, some aren't, but I think X0 you can usually get a way with - I put a set of Shimano pulleys in a X0 derailleur at work just the other day & they went fine. X9 & below can only use SRAM pulleys.
  3. The Duckmeister

12sp XT or XTR hubs

Yes they're sealed, no they're not cartridge, same as they've always been. :-)
  4. The Duckmeister

Choosing the correct saddle bum ouchy

Not thinking of Tundra rather than Gobi? The Tundra, like the Arione is a godawful plank of a thing. The Gobi is a medium-curve and a lot nicer to sit on - got it on both of my MTBs.
  5. The Duckmeister

Melbourne Burners post Covid meetup - Silvan - Sat 13th June

If you're riding up Wombat, you're going the wrong way! I hope you mean Pine Climb.or High Roller.
  6. The Duckmeister

Melbourne Burners post Covid meetup - Silvan - Sat 13th June

Did my first Red Hill spin in two months today, and damn, the body's forgotten how to climb! :( So for now I'm going on... Backup list: The Duckmeister - Duck (no one uses my real name outside work!)
  7. The Duckmeister

Little Things You Love

Meat department at my local stupormarket has porkerhouse steak. That's not a typo, it is exactly what the playful spelling suggests, and it's fucking yummy!
  8. The Duckmeister

custom wheel builds - feedback

Blowing nipples up indicates that the spokes are too short rather than a nipple flaw. Aluminium nipples are particularly good at exposing short spokes. About the only thing they're good for. The other stuff does tend suggest a shit hub..... If the rim itself is OK just chuck a new hub in it...
  9. The Duckmeister

Rear Wheel. Spokes Detensioning. Creaking noise under braking or climbing.

That's bloody high tension for an aluminium rim! Unless it's an absolute brute of a rim I wouldn't go above 120kgf, for the reasons I listed above. Yes, it's friction between the spoke and the nipple as the tension increases. Less of a problem with bladed spokes where using a holder will...
  10. The Duckmeister

It's basically another method of destressing the spokes, but it's not a bad approach with finer gauge spokes which are more prone to twisting than heavier ones. With a bit of experience you can feel how much each turn of the spoke key is adjusting the nipple, and how much is just twisting the...
  11. The Duckmeister

As noted up the page, could be that or uneven spoke tension, or both. Depends how much you increase the tension..... At high tensions aluminium rims become unstable and can collapse into a useless taco shape at a very minor impact. And the rim is more likely to crack from stress around the...
  12. The Duckmeister

WA WTB - Oneup RADr or RAD cage and GS inner plate

Sort of, but not quite. Difference is .1:1 in actuation ratio, 1.2:1 for 10-sp vs 1.1:1 for 11. Meaning 10-sp. derailleur moves an extra .1mm per mm of cable pulled. So the actual difference in derailleur movement is about .3mm per shift.
  13. The Duckmeister

WA WTB - Oneup RADr or RAD cage and GS inner plate

10 & 11-sp. derailleurs use slightly different pull ratios, but they can be tuned up reasonably OKish. The previous model M6000 is a better match. I suspect that new Deore derailleur has a specific shifter with slightly different indexing points.
  14. The Duckmeister

XT M8000 Bleed Issue

ServoWave is a linkage between the lever and master piston pushrod; it's not independently adjustable, but does adjust a bit as a side effect of stroke adjustment. Reach adjust moves only the lever and has no effect on any other part of the system. When bleeding, fully retract the stroke adjust...
  15. The Duckmeister

XT M8000 Bleed Issue

Just an extra detail on this point, make sure the fluid used for piston lubrication is the same as what the brake is filled with. If it's a mineral oil system, Shimano, Magura, Tektro/TRP etc, use mineral oil, preferably the correct blend for the specific brake brand; if it's a DOT system -...